Who still plays a really old PC game? (at least semi-regularly)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Sid Meier's Railroads

Sid-Meiers-Railroads_railroadss01.jpg

Choo Choo MF'ers, kinda not joking, it took some magic to get that shit working on Win 7.

Sim City 4, and CIV V I also play. For awhile there I was still playing Sim City 3000 and bought Sim City 4 like 10 yrs after it came out...

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Sid Meier's Railroads

Choo Choo MF'ers, kinda not joking, it took some magic to get that shit working on Win 7.

Sim City 4, and CIV V I also play. For awhile there I was still playing Sim City 3000 and bought Sim City 4 like 10 yrs after it came out...

I dunno, Railroads didnt hold my interest, I enjoyed Chris Sawyers Locomotion, but find both of them to be worthless compared to OpenTTD or for added complexity, Simutrans ...

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
How's UO this day? I was on it since first release, I still remember the fireball kill bug lol. I quit after a major update that f'd up all five of my GM character and some mfer moongate into my house and loot everything I had.

It's ok, tons of new stuff in the past year such as new ships and gargoyle characters. Though from what I understand the old days were really the best, now it's gotten more complicated and more item based. I did not play in the pre AoS days so don't know much how that was though.

I find now it's gotten overly complicated, like you pretty much need to wiki everything if you are looking for something specific. It's been through so many dev teams that when there is new content it never ties in to old systems, so they reinvent the wheel. They also have a 3Dish client that looks pretty cool, but I find the classic is more responsive and has a better feel to it so I always stick with that one.

Oct 9, 1999
still play quake 2 competitively. actually won a 1st $330 cash purse a few months ago on the last tourney we had. That had 10 people in it. I played with this same group of guys(15-30 people) even back in early 2k. We've 12 of us have met up at Quakecon in Dallas for 3 years.

best game ever.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I'm replaying Heroes of Might Magic 3 complete again now, for the 20th time probably.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
I dunno, Railroads didnt hold my interest, I enjoyed Chris Sawyers Locomotion, but find both of them to be worthless compared to OpenTTD or for added complexity, Simutrans ...

It was most definitely not a simulator :p

Kinda like a fun little minigame.

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
Civilization II
Settlers 4
Just to zone out and rest my mind.
Lose mostly; don't put in the effort required.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It was most definitely not a simulator :p

Kinda like a fun little minigame.

Yea, just not to my liking I guess..

I hated RT2 & RT3, but loved the classic RT ... just different strokes for different folks I guess ...

Tormac

Feb 3, 2011
I still play Master of Orion 2.

Someday someone may make a better turned based 4x game. Someday. . .

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I occasionally fire up Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Breaks me heart that it wasn't opened up for modding.

Really, only one base-building level for the Meccs? And no one else can add any new levels? Booo.
:\

It might have been neat to be able to play the Meccs or Delphi on the other in-game levels too.
(With some jetpack and turbo upgrades of course. The Kabuto levels were huge.)

Last edited:

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Simcity 4, Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour, BF2 (I mod the maps), Mupen N64 emulator and play Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, and a Mario All Stars emulator. I have yet to pass Mario 3 without cheating. LOL

And I can play all this on a Dell Precision M6300!

Wut?

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Sim City 4
Sid Meiers Simgolf
Sid Meiers Railroads
Starfleet Command Orion Pirates
Command And Conquer Yuri's Revenge

NES Games:
Tecmo Bowl
Super Tecmo Bowl
RBI Baseball
Mike Tysons Punchout
The Legend of Zelda

Atari 2600 RiverRaid

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Still play Alpha Centauri from time to time. I remember my very first game in 1999 when I was 12. I built a line of sensors along my border thinking they would work like the obelisk of light in C&C. The expensive base defence thing that shoots a laser and wrecks things, I mean the sensors looked kinda similar. Anyway this bitch showed up:

VV6NIr2mjX3e.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

And she waltzed past my line of sensors that apparently don't shoot or fight or defend themselves in any way. It was a short game :eek:

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net

Totally different games. Railroads is more rail-building strategy game than simulation. Train Simulator 2015 is pretty good in the sim category but the DLC is expensive.

Railroad Tycoon was one of the best games of all time, but once Meiers left the sequels just got progressively worse. I had high expectations of Railroads being the "modern RRT" that fans had wanted for so long, but didn't like what they delivered at all.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Sid Meier's Railroads

Beat you... I have an IBM PS/2 sitting here that I run the original Railroads on.... Circa 1989/1990 or something like that.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I still play Hedgewars on occasion. It's open source, so they still update it 9 years after release.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i play Betrayal at Krondor once every couple of years

still the best game ever made imho

well, ok maybe Deus Ex beats it... but just barely...

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
My brother and I have been playing Descent 2 recently, thanks to the work of a group that released a Windows-compatible package for it (D2x-rebirth). They added TCP support and we can play it together over a VPN. Works really well, runs great, looks decent too since they reworked it to operate at most common screen resolutions (widescreen included).

I had forgotten how brutal that game could be.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I think you would like "Call of Duty: Modern warfare 4"
Took me some time to get accustomed to regenerating health and "Don't stray from the path or you die." I guess I was accustomed to solid barriers, where managing to crawl over them means you leave the level map and enter polygon purgatory. :D