Question Which Operating System you like the most?

oliviabrownca16

May 12, 2022
I'm doing my research on what people like about operating systems and which is best in terms of performance. Kindly share your Thought about each operating system you people are using and what you like the most in terms of performance, features, security and others.

Reactions: linuxexplain.com

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Maybe a better question is "which operating system do you like the least."

I can tell you now that mobile Android systems are simply getting taken over by "Google" while Windows 10 simply has. among other things, too many alerts, superfulous trash plus inability/resistance to disable unauthorized network reporting.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Same here.
--------------------------
I.e.

The best car to use in NYC is not the best car to use in Alaska.

:cool:
so so so true.

Unfortunately for most programs you either run MS or run it in a VM depending on what kind of resources you're going to need for whatever you're running.

For my Linux box I'm using it as a router/switch/WIFI/firewall/DVR/OTA capture/NAS and some other stuff and if I leave it alone it would have uptime in the months but, upgrade the kernel on Monday's for patching / performance. Do I need to do it weekly? Probably not, but, with it being ADL there's always the chance for improvement on new releases. The kernel has already jumped from 5.16 to 5.18 in the past 6 months or so. For what I'm using it for though it was running fine on 5.16.

MS is always "extra" though in wanting to DL crap that's not needed. I forgot to gpedit WU to ask before doing anything and it decided today was a good day to DL some iGPU drivers and some random patch that's been posted about for BSOD's. Some other random cumulative update is in the queue too. Not interested in fixing something that's not broken to break it.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
I'm doing my research on what people like about operating systems and which is best in terms of performance. Kindly share your Thought about each operating system you people are using and what you like the most in terms of performance, features, security and others.

I prefer walmart brand strong toilet paper. It is much better and cheaper than charmin. I do like commercials about bears wiping their asses though.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
I
I used Windows for a long time, now I use macOS. I like everything, although sometimes I have to switch to Windows due to the inability to install some of the programs I need for work.

I used ohio scientific's operating system, and later used HDOS and finally CPM which were wonderful.

I had a friend with an apple 2. He finally got a apple mac when they first came out and said they were the cat's meow.

But I never could afford pricey apple stuff.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Preferred 7 to 10.

Used to like VMS, but I guess that's long-obsolete now.

MVS, on the other hand, was the worst. Hated that O/S. It didn't even free up disk space when you deleted files, you had to periodically run a special batch job to get back all the lost disk space (that required walking around the site persauding every user to log off first, before it could run).

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I've been a Windows user the longest, so it would be a version of it. I'm using Windows 11 at the moment, and I like where they are going with it. I'm also playing around with Linux Mint, but I'm not ready to make it my only OS. A new version of Mint is on the way though, so maybe it can sway me. Having a driver for my creative soundcard in the new version would go a long way.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Based on the many computer activities I've enjoyed for decades, Win has been the only possible game in town. The downer comes because Gates has been behaving so strangely.

colin.p

Jun 8, 2022
Disclaimer: My computing needs are rather modest. I don't do CAD, video/sound editing, designing rockets or any of that ilk.

I find windows to be a little too "busy" and unnecessarily complicated. MS likes to remind me that they have graciously allowed me the privilege of using their OS and the fact that the current iteration will be the last MS OS this HP "refurb" will ever see let alone use. But as far as using it, windows works ok (at least until the next update, which thankfully seems to be on the wane) but I have few complaints.

However, linux is so much more friendly, not "in your face" and almost invisible. Any of the myriad of distros are, for the most part, indistinguishable from each other, requiring a short amount of time to find where the settings are and setting up the way I like. I am much more comfortable in linux and I don't cringe every time an update comes around, as it rarely changes anything that I notice and if it does, easy to revert back.

You may notice that I haven't mentioned security, as I have never had any problems with malware (and it's many iterations) in all the years of being online with any OS - linux or windows. However MS seems to be putting their security "eggs" in the hardware "basket", while linux (thankfully), is more reliant on the OS - at least for the moment. That in itself helps to keep perfectly usable hardware out of the landfills.

Reactions: igor_kavinski