When Someone Flashes Hi-Beams on Highway...

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Gnrslash4life
Originally posted by: Deeko
People who create a "wall" of traffic, going the same speed as the lane to their right, are the bane of my existance.

I agree. And its quite common here in PA. I cant even doing 70 in a 65 in the left lane half the time cause cars are cruising along in it going 65. Usually the right lane is going like 55-60 which baffles my mind.

doesnt baffle me at all. the speed LIMIT is 65, the left lane is for passing slower traffic IN THE CONFINES OF THAT SPEED LIMIT. your speeding doesnt matter. they may be passing some cars that arer doing 63mph that you are ignoring in the right lanes. maybe they see some cars ahead that they plan on passing. maybe they dont care if youre flashing your lights in their mirror (which will get ya a ticket in many states). personally, i dont sit in the left lane unless im passing cars. but if you come up behind me and presume that im going to just stop what im doing and move for your self appointed "more important than anyone else" ass youre mistaken. i just may slow down a bit. sure, not the best way to handle it or the safest, but it does get the message across. like i said, this usually isnt an issue for me since i dont sit in the left lane like that.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
^ flashing lights (and hazards) should be reserved for emergencies... like I need to get my pregnant wife to the fricken hospital and I don't give a fuk about manners - move the fuk over. Of course now we don't know if anything is really an emergency because people will flash cause you're only going 65.

You usually are not supposed to be moving with hazards on. Emergency or not makes really no difference. Chances are the same people blocking others today will think your emergency is trivial to their entitlement to the lane they are in and the speed they wish to go.

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
Flashing your beams at someone is akin to flipping them off. If someone does it to me I return the favor by slowing the hell down.

Look at it like this, the person you flashed who didn't move would probably not move for anyone regardless. You may think that the only reason people move out of your way is because you flashed the high beams but more than likely they would have moved regardless... because they are what we call 'GOOD' drivers. They didn't move because of the power of your high beams.

Some people are so unaware of whats going on they don't even realise you're there...

I only flash to let people know i'm there and i want to pass.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: xboxist
I was in the left lane of a 2-lane highway, doing about 75. I was only in the left lane because I was starting an epic passing adventure of a dual-trailer semi. I was passing this truck at a reasonable clip. I wasn't flying by him, but I was certainly going faster than him. I would have passed him entirely in 15 seconds or so.

That's when some douchebag comes flying up behind me (had to be doing 90, based on how sudden he had to brake behind me), and starts flashing his lights at me (this was at night, mind you).

If you want to talk about inciting road rage... hell, you don't need to look at the people that want to go faster than you. Because I got SO pissed that someone would have the nerve to do that to me. F-you if I'm not going fast enough for your needs. You can pass me in the far-left lane if you want (the ditch). But I'm not speeding up to 90, just so you can pass myself and this truck 5 seconds sooner.

So I tapped by brakes to let him know to get off my ass. He did, a little. And then when I was finally able to pass the semi on my right and got back into the right lane, the idiot behind me predictably shot past me at what seemed like 100.

You speed demon jerkoffs need to come to a comprimise on the roads. Yeah, I'll get over if I can and let you go about your business. But if I'm already currently passing someone else, and you feel the need to have to pass them faster than I'm doing, just pull over and take a nap. You need it.

That is a good example of an asshat. If you are already passing the other driver needs to wait until you are clear to yield. He should have given you one flash to show his intention and then more should you not have merged in front of the truck. It's not up to you to speed up to allow his secondary pass.

I drive usually pretty fast and I will get these idiots behind me at times. There is a row of cars ahead of me and on the side (gridlocked) and Joe Camaro is honking and flashing as if I am Moses of the Highways and can split that black sea of asphalt.

This is when my wife hates to be in the car with me. I am a fair person until people want to go free for all.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst
^ flashing lights (and hazards) should be reserved for emergencies... like I need to get my pregnant wife to the fricken hospital and I don't give a fuk about manners - move the fuk over. Of course now we don't know if anything is really an emergency because people will flash cause you're only going 65.

You usually are not supposed to be moving with hazards on. Emergency or not makes really no difference. Chances are the same people blocking others today will think your emergency is trivial to their entitlement to the lane they are in and the speed they wish to go.

Maybe so but if I have a pregnant wife in labor, I honestly don't care about trivial rules of the road (like lights) short of running people off them. I need people to know there's really something wrong.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Jahee
Flashing your beams at someone is akin to flipping them off. If someone does it to me I return the favor by slowing the hell down.

Look at it like this, the person you flashed who didn't move would probably not move for anyone regardless. You may think that the only reason people move out of your way is because you flashed the high beams but more than likely they would have moved regardless... because they are what we call 'GOOD' drivers. They didn't move because of the power of your high beams.

Some people are so unaware of whats going on they don't even realise you're there...

It's funny how people take what's a road courtesy and make it into a threat. Flashing to pass is actually a safe thing. The idea though is not to fly up on the guy in front of you and start doing fireworks.

Dip about 100 feet or so of approach.

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006
Originally posted by: nkgreen
For all the people that cruise in the left lane, and SLOW DOWN when people flash you... <^>:|<^> and DIAF.

Edited.

Don't understand the reasoning behind that, is it because you want to exert some kind of power or control on the driver behind, or because you want to teach them a lesson or what... You're all assholes i'm getting pissed and i'm not even in the same country as you let alone driving!

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I hate it when people just camp out in the left lane going the speed limit. Move the hell over if someone comes up behind you going faster than you. It's called being courteous.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Nikamichi
Originally posted by: Jumpem
This is the problem with drivers on the road. They think they're entitled to cockblock everyone else. If you want to drive like an old fart, get out of the speeding lane.

The problem is speeders or impatient drivers thinking that they can tell me to move.

This is exactly why we have road rage. :|

road rage exists because people cant hold their tempers when they should. weak minded people cause road rage, not staying in the left lane.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Jahee

It's funny how people take what's a road courtesy and make it into a threat. Flashing to pass is actually a safe thing. The idea though is not to fly up on the guy in front of you and start doing fireworks.

Dip about 100 feet or so of approach.

Perhaps this is my problem with peopel flashing their high-beams. It's typically done (at least in TN) by someone travelling MUCH faster than everyone else who assumes that people should merge regardless of what is actually happening in the right lane. They are also usually so close that the only way you even know they are flashing their beams is by some miracle of light reflection.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Maybe so but if I have a pregnant wife in labor, I honestly don't care about trivial rules of the road (like lights) short of running people off them. I need people to know there's really something wrong.

shens :p

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: yllus
People in the leftmost lane who don't move over for faster traffic are fucktards. Speed up or get out of the way.

Slow down, or YOU pass me if YOU are in a hurry. I am content just driving to work.

Then do it in the right lane, dumbass. You're forcing people to pass you illegally on the right.

he isnt forcing them to do anything. they make the conscious choice to speed, pass on the right and flip the guy off on the way by. that guy doing the speed limit (or 5-7 mph over) did nothing to force anyones hand.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: guyver01
No. If I am going at least the speed limit I stay in the left lane. If people don't like it they can go go around me. No reason for me to move because they are the ones in a hurry.

And if someone flashes me, waves their hands, or tailgates I will slow down to exactly the speed limit.

<road rage>

Same here....except, i dont do the speed limit.. im usually going 75-80... so if you flash me... who appointed you god of the road to tell me to move ... F U!

People flashing their high beams to tell you to move is the height of road arrogance.... and i will NOT move... in fact, i'll slow down. If you want to go that fast.... go around me then.

ahole.

</road rage>

You did by driving slower than me. Now get the hell out of the left lane.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Well that's ok, I called shens on you ever having a kid many moons ago. :D

My wife and I have been together 8 years now. W00t.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Well that's ok, I called shens on you ever having a kid many moons ago. :D

:laugh:He just turned 5 last month actually.

Edit-Congrats on your 8th year. :beer: My 15 year anniversary is next week.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: hanoverphist
People in the leftmost lane who don't move over for faster traffic are fucktards. Speed up or get out of the way.

Slow down, or YOU pass me if YOU are in a hurry. I am content just driving to work.

Then do it in the right lane, dumbass. You're forcing people to pass you illegally on the right.

he isnt forcing them to do anything. they make the conscious choice to speed, pass on the right and flip the guy off on the way by. that guy doing the speed limit (or 5-7 mph over) did nothing to force anyones hand.

I'm sure that guy who thinks he's a cop and is enforcing what he feels should be the maximum speed gets a kick out of pissing the other guy off, too.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Perhaps this is my problem with peopel flashing their high-beams. It's typically done (at least in TN) by someone travelling MUCH faster than everyone else who assumes that people should merge regardless of what is actually happening in the right lane. They are also usually so close that the only way you even know they are flashing their beams is by some miracle of light reflection.

Well the thing is if the right lane is causing enough of a problem that you can't get over (assuming you aren't blocked ahead/in your own pass) you have been in the left lane too long already.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001

He's impeding the flow of traffic.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
This is the problem with drivers on the road. They think they're entitled to cockblock everyone else. If you want to drive like an old fart, get out of the speeding lane.

The problem is speeders or impatient drivers thinking that they can tell me to move.

This is exactly why we have road rage. :|

road rage exists because people cant hold their tempers when they should. weak minded people cause road rage, not staying in the left lane.

but you said in another post: "but if you come up behind me and presume that im going to just stop what im doing and move for your self appointed "more important than anyone else" ass youre mistaken. i just may slow down a bit. sure, not the best way to handle it or the safest, but it does get the message across."

Sounds like road rage to me.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
I love driving/traffic-related threads, they always bring out the worst in everyone on here ;)

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: guyver01
<road rage>

Same here....except, i dont do the speed limit.. im usually going 75-80... so if you flash me... who appointed you god of the road to tell me to move ... F U!

People flashing their high beams to tell you to move is the height of road arrogance.... and i will NOT move... in fact, i'll slow down. If you want to go that fast.... go around me then.

ahole.

</road rage>

I agree. I usally go 70-72 on 65mph highways. If someone comes up behind me at a reasonable speed I will move over if it is convenient. However, I draw the line at people the flash high beams, gesture, or come up on me very fast.

Seriously? Wow..

If anything, I consider those who signal to me to be more courteous than those who pass me on the right.

Who the fuck taught you how to drive?

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Alowishus
It's annoying when people do it when your already moving at a reasonable speed in the left lane (like 80+). There isn't any reason to be doing 120 on the highway.

Yeah, I always get the jerks that start tailing me when I'm doing 80+. I just get out of their way and hope it's something important they are going to

GoatMonkey

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
If there's someone in front of me in the left lane going slower than I want to go, and the guy behind me flashes his lights, then he can kiss my ass.

If there's nobody in front of me and someone behind me, I'll get over before they ever have a chance to flash their lights.

Personally, I get more annoyed by people who drive around a line of stopped traffic that is obviously going where they want to go, then cut in at the front of the line. Maybe there's nothing illegal about it, but it's rude as hell. I had a guy do that to me and then drive into a convenience store. I went into the store and stepped in line in front of him. He says "Hey, the end of the line's back there." and I said "That didn't seem to bother you on the road back there." He got all grumbly and pissy, but didn't say anything after that. People know they're assholes on the road and don't want to admit it in person.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
The flashing lights confuse me and I end up letting my foot off the gas. What's going on!??!!

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Originally posted by: jefa
Originally posted by: dmw16

Secondly, on the speeding thing, the left lane is not for someone going 5mph over the speed limit. You are only supposed to use that lane to pass

The lane is for LEGAL passing.. If you are passing a vehicle that is going at or above the speed limit then it is not a legal pass.

lol....so if someone was going the speed limit, you couldn't legally pass them then? Wow...just wow.