When do you stop fascism from happening?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'm sure the dumber liberals will believe that you don't reliably shill for white nationalist party allies. They literally believe conservatives are all as dumb as them.

Oh so its a conspiracy thing now, like the illuminati. I come on to tech forums and say segregation is bad, but at night I put on a cape gather with my friends to secretly promote segregation.

Tell me, do you often suffer from these types of thoughts? Do you often feel the world is out to get you?

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Oh so its a conspiracy thing now, like the illuminati. I come on to tech forums and say segregation is bad, but at night I put on a cape gather with my friends to secretly promote segregation.

Tell me, do you often suffer from these types of thoughts? Do you often feel the world is out to get you?

No, trump or your sorts acting in their simple rational self-interest is hardly much of any conspiracy. Same for really dumb liberals who want to believe they're the smart ones.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Um, I realize this is an old comment, but did you honestly never know the full context of Obama's line in that speech? FFS: this is why this country is so fucking dumb. cherry-picking talking points and using it to destroy people, out of context. And it's not that you did it, but you support the practice by not engaging yourself in the full context when someone wants to point out "this horrible thing that Obama said!"

But yes: Obama was 100% correct then and 100% correct now. It wasn't an insult, it was empathy. If people identify with that demographic and feel insulted, it's because the GOP has been blowing smoke up their asses for decades, telling them that their plight is due to "the elites ruining their lives; trust us to save you!"

First, it was like Obama looked ahead to 2016 and tried to warn of the economic disaster leading people to demagoguery.

Second, yes, that moment in January 2017 was when I first encountered the full context of "clinging to guns and religion" statement made by Obama in 2008. Here's some additional context.
The comments were seized on by his rival for the Democratic party candidacy, Hillary Clinton, who saw in them the hope of reviving her flagging campaign by turning voters in the important Pennsylvania primary on April 22 against what she classed as Obama's revealed "elitism".

"I was taken aback by the demeaning remarks Senator Obama made about people in small-town America," she said on Saturday. "His remarks are elitist and out of touch." Clinton campaigners in North Carolina handed out stickers saying: "I'm not bitter."

It would appear the focus of media coverage, left and right, was "how dare he!?". I'm sure the Left let go of it once he was nominated, but Fox News made damn sure it stuck to his Presidency as offensive, "anti American" remarks. That Obama's message contained a Trump styled truth of speaking to economics, of speaking to the ruination found in rural America, was surprising as hell to witness in 2017. A devastated people "clinging" is exactly what just happened to us in November.

I do believe the man wanted to help, but got crushed and made small by an immovable system. Trump caught the same wind of populism that carried Obama to office. He'll accomplish even less and raise a great stink against those who surround him. Trump is the end of the GOP, the buck stops here. By 2020 we can ride both the backlash and the populism to reshape America. But first we have to push forward with an economic message they can believe in, we want the people to cling to us and the progressive movement.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Show me a fascist movement destroyed by discourse?

The source of their discontent is economics. Their fix is a form of religion. I say we convert the faithful.

"That won't work".
No one said you would get them all, you don't need to. Even a fraction of them restores us to the majority.
Give them something to believe in.

Reactions: pmv

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
First, it was like Obama looked ahead to 2016 and tried to warn of the economic disaster leading people to demagoguery.

Second, yes, that moment in January 2017 was when I first encountered the full context of "clinging to guns and religion" statement made by Obama in 2008. Here's some additional context.

It would appear the focus of media coverage, left and right, was "how dare he!?". I'm sure the Left let go of it once he was nominated, but Fox News made damn sure it stuck to his Presidency as offensive, "anti American" remarks. That Obama's message contained a Trump styled truth of speaking to economics, of speaking to the ruination found in rural America, was surprising as hell to witness in 2017. A devastated people "clinging" is exactly what just happened to us in November.

I do believe the man wanted to help, but got crushed and made small by an immovable system. Trump caught the same wind of populism that carried Obama to office. He'll accomplish even less and raise a great stink against those who surround him. Trump is the end of the GOP, the buck stops here. By 2020 we can ride both the backlash and the populism to reshape America. But first we have to push forward with an economic message they can believe in, we want the people to cling to us and the progressive movement.

To answer such questions, professionals at this sort of stuff researched the matter and all found it comes back to race resentment. For example, there's no or even reverse correlation between possible economic hardship due to immigrants and support for the birther/illegal-rapists magnate. Of course you're aware of this because you've been informed countless times, but choose to keep pretending otherwise because admitting the inescapable truth is against degen water boy interests. Such is the way of the world.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
To answer such questions, professionals at this sort of stuff researched the matter and all found it comes back to race resentment. For example, there's no or even reverse correlation between possible economic hardship due to immigrants and support for the birther/illegal-rapists magnate. Of course you're aware of this because you've been informed countless times, but choose to keep pretending otherwise because admitting the inescapable truth is against degen water boy interests. Such is the way of the world.

I prefer the term racial anxiety. Racial resentment implies that there is a conscious bias against those that aren't like them. Anxiety can be conscious or subconscious.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
I prefer the term racial anxiety. Racial resentment implies that there is a conscious bias against those that aren't like them. Anxiety can be conscious or subconscious.

Racial resentment is just the term used in the literature.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
What my fellow liberals don't get is the situation has changed, and our views on certain subjects have to change with it. It's like chemotherapy, if you are healthy, of course you don't want that poison anywhere near you, but if you get cancer and you keep going with that mindset, you are going to end up like Steve Jobs. We have a real threat of an emerging fascist dictatorship. Maybe it's nothing, let's hope so, but it warrants some reflection and reassessment of risks and tradeoffs. Gun control is hopeless anyway, so why unilaterally disarm chasing it and leave yourself a sitting duck?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
What my fellow liberals don't get is the situation has changed, and our views on certain subjects have to change with it. It's like chemotherapy, if you are healthy, of course you don't want that poison anywhere near you, but if you get cancer and you keep going with that mindset, you are going to end up like Steve Jobs. We have a real threat of an emerging fascist dictatorship. Maybe it's nothing, let's hope so, but it warrants some reflection and reassessment of risks and tradeoffs. Gun control is hopeless anyway, so why unilaterally disarm chasing it and leave yourself a sitting duck?

Gun control is a simple way to address a symptom. I don't think gun control is an issue liberals go to the polls for though.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
"You bring your ideas and we bring our guns." --fascists & friends

I'm sure there are liberals dumb enough to fall for this sort of thing.
As I said, his intention is to destroy what rationality liberals like you rightly cling to. He's the anti-liberal if you will. The answer, of course, is not to abandon ideas but to present ones that are inclusive of the people who turn to hatred when their interests are frustrated election after election.
So its the first. I am arguing against the methods of fascist in an attempt to benefit the fascists. Lol.
Exactly. You are not a fascist because you do not support fascist anti-fascism. The important thing is that you have to be a liberal fascist not a conservative one. You are a fail-bot because you're not getting how afraid you should be so that your fear can justify anything. You will always find the cowards leading the lunatic extreme, leading, that is, encouraging others to violence while they observe through heavy lenses thousands of yards at sea. A lot of liberals cracked when Trump won the election. They went straight for the conservative hammer of hate. They want everybody else to be pulled into the same cesspool.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
As I said, his intention is to destroy what rationality liberals like you rightly cling to. He's the anti-liberal if you will. The answer, of course, is not to abandon ideas but to present ones that are inclusive of the people who turn to hatred when their interests are frustrated election after election.

No, it's trivially obvious when degens carry water for their own. No mystery why it's in your current interest to carry water for him and vice versa.

Exactly. You are not a fascist because you do not support fascist anti-fascism. The important thing is that you have to be a liberal fascist not a conservative one. You are a fail-bot because you're not getting how afraid you should be so that your fear can justify anything. You will always find the cowards leading the lunatic extreme, leading, that is, encouraging others to violence while they observe through heavy lenses thousands of yards at sea. A lot of liberals cracked when Trump won the election. They went straight for the conservative hammer of hate. They want everybody else to be pulled into the same cesspool.

A lot of liberals cracked when Hitler & pals won their election too, and it's hardly a coincidence you've become an apologist for both.

Reactions: Indus

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
The whole thing is rigged, controlled and manipulated.

But do keep on voting and thinking your next "man" in line will save your "country."

This country is nothing but a corporation that gives the illusion of a "democracy."

The only winners are the ones at the top and the ones working for them. Everyone else should step away. But you won't.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
The whole thing is rigged, controlled and manipulated.

But do keep on voting and thinking your next "man" in line will save your "country."

This country is nothing but a corporation that gives the illusion of a "democracy."

The only winners are the ones at the top and the ones working for them. Everyone else should step away. But you won't.

Conservatives love to tell this to democrats while they vote the party line.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Conservatives love to tell this to democrats while they vote the party line.

My favorite is when those Hardcore lefties repeat it unknowingly contributing to the demise of their preferred policies.

Last edited:

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
My favorite is when those Harcore lefties repeat it unknowingly contributing to the demise of their preferred policies.

Sure, they had a solid good strategy to softball sanders, not that his fans are hardcore leftists by any stretch of the imagination.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Sure, they had a solid good strategy to softball sanders, not that his fans are hardcore leftists by any stretch of the imagination.

By "hardcore leties" I'm referring to those who think anyone to the right of them are DINO's or Republican light. Its the mirror image of those righties who say the same thing about this that are to the left of them. Neither group really exemplifies the values they claim to hold dear.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
By "hardcore leties" I'm referring to those who think anyone to the right of them are DINO's or Republican light. Its the mirror image of those righties who say the same thing about this that are to the left of them. Neither group really exemplifies the values they claim to hold dear.

If the US is considered a first world western nation then it's fair enough to use its standards. American centrist democrats are right wingers of that group. Just because they rush to meeting anything in the middle doesn't mean they're leftist at all.

Reactions: pmv

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
If the US is considered a first world western nation then it's fair enough to use its standards. American centrist democrats are right wingers of that group. Just because they rush to meeting anything in the middle doesn't mean they're leftist at all.

Rushing to meet in the middle is a political necessity when you are a Democrat otherwise nothing would ever change for the better. See the ACA as an example and then compare it to the progress "real progressives" like Bernie has made over his lifetime (hint: any progress > nothing).

Reactions: Brainonska511

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Rushing to meet in the middle is a political necessity when you are a Democrat otherwise nothing would ever change for the better. See the ACA as an example and then compare it to the progress "real progressives" like Bernie has made over his lifetime (hint: any progress > nothing).

I'm just point out the difference between leftists and centrists. A simple fact that you're making a case for centrism.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
I'm making a case for reality.

Keep in mind that if centrists had their way, civil rights & such would still be on ice. I believe you're aware of the reality that degenerates will do what it takes to get their way, and that the compromise strategy often leads to what they wanted more or less.

It's nice that we teach future generations to follow such rules, but rules are made for situations where everyone plays in good faith.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Keep in mind that if centrists had their way, civil rights & such would still be on ice. I believe you're aware of the reality that degenerates will do what it takes to get their way, and that the compromise strategy often leads to what they wanted more or less.

It's nice that we teach future generations to follow such rules, but rules are made for situations where everyone plays in good faith.

Civil rights was an issue that had been in the works for almost 100 years. You are making my point. Progress is slow and steady. I wish it wasn't and doing the right thing happened quicker but that's not how this country was designed to work.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Civil rights was an issue that had been in the works for almost 100 years. You are making my point. Progress is slow and steady. I wish it wasn't and doing the right thing happened quicker but that's not how this country was designed to work.

Civil rights was a radical change judged by centrists at the time as extreme, that's why there were so many riots over it after all; it's only history hindsight that judges it differently. The peacemakers during reconstruction until then were more about the jim crow compromise.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Civil rights was a radical change judged by centrists at the time as extreme, that's why there were so many riots over it after all; it's only history hindsight that judges it differently. The peacemakers during reconstruction until then were more about the jim crow compromise.

Were the "centrists" rioting? Historically "centrists" take the center stance because they fear large rapid changes that can destabilize the left and or right. I don't know of any centrists rioting ever. The drama comes from the extremes on the spectrum.

I also don't know of centrists saying nothing should change during that era. Civil rights was an extreme change that happened to be for the good of humanity. Does not change that it was an extreme change.