When do you stop fascism from happening?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Were the "centrists" rioting? Historically "centrists" take the center stance because they fear large rapid changes that can destabilize the left and or right. I don't know of any centrists rioting ever. The drama comes from the extremes on the spectrum.

I also don't know of centrists saying nothing should change during that era. Civil rights was an extreme change that happened to be for the good of humanity. Does not change that it was an extreme change.

No, your extremists were rioting.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
I wonder what it must be like to live in your world. How is what you wrote a logical response to what I wrote?

It's a world where the two rational courses of action are there's no point explaining anything to some buckshot type, or there's no explaining anything to dunning kruger simpletons.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
So - a new feeler about shutting down critical media just went out. Is it not yet time for impeachment hearings?

Vox - Trump threatens to cancel NBC’s broadcast license over critical reporting

Another day, another casual threat from the president of the United States to abuse the powers of his office in order to stymie reporting that he doesn’t like.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/918112884630093825

The policy context is that individual television broadcast stations need licenses from the Federal Communications Commission to stay in business.

This licensing regime is necessary to prevent different stations from offering overlapping transmissions that prevent anyone from tuning in. But it’s also potentially open to abuse — Lyndon Johnson and his wife deployed licensing authority corruptly to prevent anyone from competing with a station they owned in Texas. In theory, you could also abuse the power less for this sort of venal corruption and more for the kind of systemic corruption that Trump is proposing here.​

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Logical end to what our govt has been doing for years. 4th and 5th amendment systematically eroded out. May well go after the 1st now.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So - a new feeler about shutting down critical media just went out. Is it not yet time for impeachment hearings?

Vox - Trump threatens to cancel NBC’s broadcast license over critical reporting

Another day, another casual threat from the president of the United States to abuse the powers of his office in order to stymie reporting that he doesn’t like.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/918112884630093825

The policy context is that individual television broadcast stations need licenses from the Federal Communications Commission to stay in business.

This licensing regime is necessary to prevent different stations from offering overlapping transmissions that prevent anyone from tuning in. But it’s also potentially open to abuse — Lyndon Johnson and his wife deployed licensing authority corruptly to prevent anyone from competing with a station they owned in Texas. In theory, you could also abuse the power less for this sort of venal corruption and more for the kind of systemic corruption that Trump is proposing here.​
Omfg that is funny... in a very sad interpretation of the word funny. I am afraid that the moron may be retarded!
If putin manages to induce civil war it will be the biggest geopolitical win/move since WWII ..

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I can't wait for the 2nd amendment proponents to show up and start protesting in large numbers to show trump how wrong and dangerous his type of thinking is to this country and how its in direct violation of the constitution, of which they claim to be ardent defenders of.

How long should I wait?

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
No, your extremists were rioting.

"your extremists"... Obviously (from your comment above) you champion the white supremacists as "your extremists" but most folks won't endorse or condone or even make excuses for terrorist groups regardless of how closely their goals align. Extremists are the same, left and right. All bad.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Okay, I'll take your word for it the OP was in no way inspired by Trump and is entirely a rhetorical question.

That being said, IMHO worrying about "fascism" is completely overblown unless/until truly exceptional circumstances exist such as:

1. The government starts taking actions or policy positions that are way outside any historical norms and precedents absent some truly exceptional circumstances like the immediate aftermath of 9-11. Not just "way to the far end of the liberal/conservative spectrum" but completely off the spectrum chart altogether. Like suggesting that all firearms be confiscated, or that sharia or other religious laws be implemented, or that core civil rights protections were no longer valid for all citizens or entire classes of people.

2. Key government officials rewrite laws to entrench themselves or eliminate restrictions on their powers, such as seeking to get the 22nd Amendment nullified so the POTUS could run for additional terms.

3. The POTUS starts routinely asserting the separation of powers or checks and balances no longer applies or should be weakened systematically and across the board (not minor tweaks like suggesting line-item veto)

4. POTUS uses his inherent powers to attempt to make the executive "above the law," such as applying prospective blanket pardons to his cabinet members and then ordering them to take illegal actions under the logic they can't be prosecuted for them given the pardons in effect.

I know you no longer post here but holy shit! According to your red lines, every line has been crossed!

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The earlier the better. Look at Belarus and Russia which let their fascists stick around after they showed their true face and are now stuck vs the Ukraine, which went to the capital and threw theirs out after police roughed up a few students.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic