What's the best game you've never played?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Crysis series, Skyrim, the recent Batman games.

I didnt play Mass Effect for a long time and one day I decided to and I was hooked.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The best game i NEVER played is

Skyrim - The "real" version with co-cop and multiplayer.

I think if Skyrim had a co-cop mode it would be THE BEST GAME *ever* released. I have big problems with single player games, a game can be as incredible as Skyrim..but i simply can't play single player games anymore. I need human interaction, fun, communication..this is what makes a game good, IMO.

This makes no sense.
None of the Elder Scrolls games ever had multiplayer. Skyrim was never promised to have multiplayer. I dont know what you were expecting.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Based on the lists and how people refer to them, I think about 3/4 of the members here are functionally illiterate.

READ THE TITLE AGAIN!

That's what happens when you run an IT dept looking at 6 monitors at the same time while posting.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
That's what happens when you run an IT dept looking at 6 monitors at the same time while posting.

If I was running an IT department I'd do my damn job.
Amazing. We lose millions of jobs overseas, 11 million illegals here taking all the menial work, and people still fuck off as if their careers were safe. I cant even get a job to fuck off at.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
This makes no sense.
None of the Elder Scrolls games ever had multiplayer. Skyrim was never promised to have multiplayer. I dont know what you were expecting.
I sorta get what he's saying... to me, all the Elder Scrolls games have felt like MMORPG worlds where you're the only player on a server.

best game I've never played: Final Fantasy 6. it's been on my to-play list since I've been in junior high, I just never seem to have the opportunity.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I sorta get what he's saying... to me, all the Elder Scrolls games have felt like MMORPG worlds where you're the only player on a server.

best game I've never played: Final Fantasy 6. it's been on my to-play list since I've been in junior high, I just never seem to have the opportunity.

MMOs suck for storytelling/immersion. They suffer from too many heroes syndrome. I mean, consider what the villager/townsfolk:heroes ratio is in WoW for example? It's nutty. No, pretending that the players aren't really heroes but just run of the mill soldiers doesn't work either (which is I know how they try to explain giving credit for boss fights to their major NPCs and not individuals in their lore).

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
MMOs suck for storytelling/immersion. They suffer from too many heroes syndrome. I mean, consider what the villager/townsfolk:heroes ratio is in WoW for example? It's nutty. No, pretending that the players aren't really heroes but just run of the mill soldiers doesn't work either (which is I know how they try to explain giving credit for boss fights to their major NPCs and not individuals in their lore).

This. But it is so much more.

Yes, there is the fact that your avatar isn't "The Hero" of the land, but one of thousands and thousands. And yes there is little to no story. And yes the ratio of 'hero' to peasant is crazy. But for me it is also the fact that there is no permanence, not sense of achievement. Any quest that you complete, simply resets. And has been completed by hundreds of thousands of other folks multiple times. Any item that you find has been found by thousands upon thousands of others. And any monster or adventurer that you kill, merely gets up 30 seconds later and is back in the action.

Your "Power" is based on a combination of a certain combination of skills that anyone can get and a set of items that everyone sets out to find. Oh, and then there is bandwidth and reflexes. That is it. Nothing special. Nothing unique.

It is all boiled down to rinse, lather, repeat. Kill the same monsters ad nausium. Do the same quests ad infinitum. Waste your life trying to get to the top of the heap, where EVERYONE ELSE IS.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Amazing. We lose millions of jobs overseas, 11 million illegals here taking all the menial work, and people still fuck off as if their careers were safe. I cant even get a job to fuck off at.

Maybe because you lack the skill set I have? To bad, stop bitching and get educated then maybe someday you could reach my plateau.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The best game i NEVER played is

Skyrim - The "real" version with co-cop and multiplayer.

I think if Skyrim had a co-cop mode it would be THE BEST GAME *ever* released. I have big problems with single player games, a game can be as incredible as Skyrim..but i simply can't play single player games anymore. I need human interaction, fun, communication..this is what makes a game good, IMO.

The day TES goes multiplayer/MMO is the day that the franchise dies (which is already happening, as most people now know.)

So--your wish is granted. Those few of you that want it, will now have your TES MMO; and TES has now officially died with Skyrim.

congrats.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

If you're willing to take the pay that these "evil illegals" are taking, then there are countless jobs to be had.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

This, so much this.

I can see how Skyrim could work as co-op along the lines of Borderlands--invite some peeps to play in a co-op instance from time to time, but leave the game its single-player world for the most part. Too much character-driven content for it to ever be a multiplayer game. It would destroy everything that is TES.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
The day TES goes multiplayer/MMO is the day that the franchise dies (which is already happening, as most people now know.)

So--your wish is granted. Those few of you that want it, will now have your TES MMO; and TES has now officially died with Skyrim.

congrats.

The truly unfortunate situation is that it isn't 'Those few', it will be massive in the way that WoW or SW:ToR is massive. maybe to a lesser degree. But they will trade on the TES name and pull in gobs of money. And the vast majority of the people sucked in will never have known the true essence of the TES games, merely that it is Another MMO where they can bash and trash their friends and people from all over the world.

That is the point where TES dies because the penny pinchers will say "Why make a single player game, when we can Milk this Cow (the MMO) for a lifetime? Cha-ching$$$"

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001

congrats.

I am not really wanting a "MMO Skyrim" - i am aware of the many negatives MMOs can have. But LAN/CO-OP play is what i like.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I'm not sure I'd want an MMO Elder Scrolls either... just that the vast, sprawling zones make it feel like you're playing EQ on an empty server.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If you're willing to take the pay that these "evil illegals" are taking, then there are countless jobs to be had.

WRONG!

I've already tried. The fucking foreman bullshits me and says they got no positions. Then I watch him drive to 7-11 and pickup a dozen jokers standing around.

Wait, this isnt P&N. Why are we doing this?

Anyway, I think the very best game I havent played recently is ID's Rage.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Oh yeah never played Starcraft either. Never appealed to me; honestly the last RTS game I liked was Dune and never bothered to play many others.

KT

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
any MMO game. refuse to play them.

If you refuse to play them it is probably because you don't enjoy them. So how is this 'The Best' game you never played? I think the intent was "what game do you regret not playing, or haven't gotten around to playing YET." But I could be paraphrasing.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Dune was the first RTS as I recall:)

And it was bloody awesome. Played that game to death back in the day and I didn't even own a computer; had to crash at my buddies and hog his PC. :D

KT