What's the best game you've never played?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Ultimate Doom - Id collected all the best level mods people created.
Rogue Squadron - Pure arcade style flying fun a la Star Wars.
Half Life 2 - Valve added a great story and lots of basic physics to the Quake engine.
Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force - The only good shooter they ever made.
Prey - Combined portals and gravity ramps with a great story.
Portal 2 - Valve came up with another great story and perfected portal physics.

All arcade style science fiction shooters mostly heavy on the basic physics, good level designs, and interesting stories and characters (except for Doom which has no story). With next generation ray cast engines things will really start to get interesting for such games.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Ultimate Doom - Id collected all the best level mods people created.
Rogue Squadron - Pure arcade style flying fun a la Star Wars.
Half Life 2 - Valve added a great story and lots of basic physics to the Quake engine.
Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force - The only good shooter they ever made.
Prey - Combined portals and gravity ramps with a great story.
Portal 2 - Valve came up with another great story and perfected portal physics.

All arcade style science fiction shooters mostly heavy on the basic physics, good level designs, and interesting stories and characters (except for Doom which has no story). With next generation ray cast engines things will really start to get interesting for such games.

You seem to know an awful lot about them. Are you sure you never played these games?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Shit, just spent an hour looking at GOG. I am so tempted to drop a couple hundred bucks and catch up on cool stuff I missed, and great stuff I havent seen in forever.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I think for immersion and overall experience, Tie Fighter wins my vote. Also a huge fan of A-10 Tank Killer and Red Storm Rising, both on Amiga.

Man, you never played Tie Fighter? Awesome game. Much better than X-wing. Kill those rebel scum.

As for me, probably

Red Dead Redemption
Fallout 2 (loved Fallout 1, but for some reason I bought but never played 2)
Planescape Torment (again, I have owned it twice, but never played)

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Shit, just spent an hour looking at GOG. I am so tempted to drop a couple hundred bucks and catch up on cool stuff I missed, and great stuff I havent seen in forever.

If you can spend $200+ on GoG, chances are you'll run out of time in your LIFETIME before you get around to finishing all those games.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
.. probably diablo ? no wait i know: the battlefield series. can't be bothered.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If you can spend $200+ on GoG, chances are you'll run out of time in your LIFETIME before you get around to finishing all those games.

I intend to cheat on many of them.
If you know the proper way to complete a level, neither Dungeon Keeper nor DK2 take much time at all.
The Might and Magic games seem to drag on forever but thats cuz most people get suckered into lots of distractions. I'd just focus on the main quest.

mingsoup

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
I started Final Fantasy with 13. ;)
Crysis. I know exactly why though. ;)
Grim Fandango, even though I've played most of Monkey Island series and enjoyed them immensely, except 4.
Witcher 1/2. I need to get on this.

Last edited:

Kyanzes

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
Call of Duty Black Ops (and similar games). I know it's a hit but seems so utterly boring that it boggles the mind. I mean the whole thing with uber US soldiers saving the world is getting really old.

That's not to say I wouldn't play some turn-based strategy if they made some.

ky54

Mar 30, 2010
Probably Half Life 2. Don't know why but I never got around to playing it.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Probably Half Life 2. Don't know why but I never got around to playing it.

I actually have Half Life 2 and have fired it up three or four times. But, despite the fact that no other FPS game does this, HL2 always makes me motion sick. Don't know why. I get 2-3 hours into it and then just have to stop.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Bioshock 2 (still trying to find time to finish the 1st one)
Battlefield 3 (Origin can DIAF)

tornadog

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2003
Mine would be Max Payne 2 though technically I played about 30 mins of it before I decided I didnt want to continue. But if by greatest, you mean the highest rated, it would be any of the RPGs released in the last 8 years.

rageofthepeon

Jan 31, 2012
Baldur's Gate

I spent hours exploring every nook and cranny of that game in my youth. Runner up games would be Quake and Lords of the Realm 2 purely for the fond memories of playing matches against my father.

ShreddedWheat

Apr 3, 2006
Fallout 3 (haven't played New Vegas yet)
Baldur Gate I and II and Icewind Dales
Company of Heros (have only played skirmishes but have already logged 260+ hours) :)
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Stalkers series (haven't played last one)

Old School: Wing Commander Series / Original Privateer! :)
Lords of the Realm (original, loved burning opponents crops fields :) hehe )

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Deus Ex series
Skyrim
Witcher 2 (I'm planning on fixing this after exams :))
S.T.A.L.K.E.R
Fallout series
Mass Effect 2 and 3