What's the best game you've never played?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Doom
Doom2
Quake
Half life 1 & 2
Diablo
Diablo 2
WOW
SC 1 & SC2
Total Annihilation
Age of Empires

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Based on the lists and how people refer to them, I think about 3/4 of the members here are functionally illiterate.

READ THE TITLE AGAIN!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Based on the lists and how people refer to them, I think about 3/4 of the members here are functionally illiterate.

READ THE TITLE AGAIN!

this happens with almost every thread...people just have no reading comprehension whatsoever.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
For me its SC2. I bought it when it was first released and played like 10 mins but I havent touched it since. Also, bought Skyrim and I think its still shrinkwrapped. Also, I still have GOW1 for PS2 still shrinkwrapped. Man, I must be old.

ioni

Aug 3, 2009
I actually have Half Life 2 and have fired it up three or four times. But, despite the fact that no other FPS game does this, HL2 always makes me motion sick. Don't know why. I get 2-3 hours into it and then just have to stop.

Same here. I stopped playing after getting 2-3 hours in (partly because of that and the rest b/c the game was boring). I heard it has a different FoV than most FPSs which causes this to happen for some people. You can use a console command or mod an ini file to change it to the standard FoV, although I don't know what the standard is.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
Planescape: Torment. Definitely. Played Baldur's Gate, loved it. Played IWD, loved it. Heard it's better than both of those, and I'd be hard pressed to think of a 'modern' game that stands up to those two series.

MistaFreeze

Feb 18, 2009
I'm gonna go with WoW because everyone says it's awesome. Just never wanted to invest loads of time into it.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Planescape: Torment. Definitely. Played Baldur's Gate, loved it. Played IWD, loved it. Heard it's better than both of those, and I'd be hard pressed to think of a 'modern' game that stands up to those two series.

I am a huge fan of BG series and I have played both IwD games about a dozen times. I have actually owned PST twice and still never played it. I got into it once, got down to the bottom of the tower, and just quit. Not saying it isn't an awesome game, just saying.... well, that I can get how people haven't played it... yet.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I am a huge fan of BG series and I have played both IwD games about a dozen times. I have actually owned PST twice and still never played it. I got into it once, got down to the bottom of the tower, and just quit. Not saying it isn't an awesome game, just saying.... well, that I can get how people haven't played it... yet.

A lot of folks see the 2D and immediately get turned off.
Fallout 3 sold something like ten times as many copies as Fallout 2.
I'd have to check, not sure about that.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
EVE sounds like a blast but I don't have to time to justify a monthly fee.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Probably any of the Diablo games. No idea what they are even about, just that people seem to have a constant Diablorection in their pants from the games.

KT

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Probably any of the Diablo games. No idea what they are even about, just that people seem to have a constant Diablorection in their pants from the games.

KT

Its good hacking action.
If you ever had any fun with Final Fight or Ikari Warriors or Gradius then Diablo will provide you with the next generation of mindless violence and entertainment.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Its good hacking action.
If you ever had any fun with Final Fight or Ikari Warriors or Gradius then Diablo will provide you with the next generation of mindless violence and entertainment.

Cool. I loved Final Fight and Ikari Warriors (and Commando). Not sure I ever played Gradius though. Guess I will wait for D3 to get cheap and try it then.

KT

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Cool. I loved Final Fight and Ikari Warriors (and Commando). Not sure I ever played Gradius though. Guess I will wait for D3 to get cheap and try it then.

KT

If SC2 is any indication that will take years. As fun as its supposed to be I recommend biting the bullet and paying full price some time this summer.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006

KT

I remember getting the demo of the original Diablo WAY back in time. Played the DEMO for like 6 hours straight. I have bought every single Diablo release since. Except D3. Not sure i am going to do it with the 'Always online' thing.

One of my Exes actually even wrote a letter that got published in PCGamer back in the day about the game. apparently it is all about killing stuff and then shopping. Who knew?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
If SC2 is any indication that will take years. As fun as its supposed to be I recommend biting the bullet and paying full price some time this summer.

I'll think about it. Not the hugest fan of Blizzard/Battle.net or whatever it is though, so if I can't get it on Steam I may just skip it.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
You CANT get it on Steam. You will never be able to get any Blizzard game on Steam.

I figured as much, but someone just gave me a guest pass so I'm going to try it out in the next couple of days. :hmm:

KT

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
The best game i NEVER played is

Skyrim - The "real" version with co-cop and multiplayer.

I think if Skyrim had a co-cop mode it would be THE BEST GAME *ever* released. I have big problems with single player games, a game can be as incredible as Skyrim..but i simply can't play single player games anymore. I need human interaction, fun, communication..this is what makes a game good, IMO.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
Thief: The Dark Project
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Diablo 1
Darksiders
Crystalis