What workout makes you punch harder

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Good luck to anyone, amateur or pro, punching faces without at least wraps.

I have never had a problem delivering a blow to the side of the jaw...I have never used wraps.

If one is frail, they should not be looking to enter fist fights.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
facepalm.gif

I have had those that hit me end up breaking their hand.

Don't know what you mean though with the facepalm...I have been in some pretty decent tussles. Some of my worst have been getting thrown out a second story window and landing on a pool step railing, getting a 2x4 with nails in it through my hand (better than my head I guess), getting my ass out of several 5+ man on me situations (no I didn't go blow to blow with all of them), and being shot at a few times. I lived a very different life when I was younger. I have walked away better off from most...many without even damage.

In the end, if you haven't practiced on real people/objects chances are you are going to hurt yourself.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
^^ So let me guess, you are a pro fighter right?

I took 2 years of no holds barred MMA lessons from an active NY state sheriff. He holds a GOLD belt in his expert area, which means he is one of the best in the world. When you get in a street fight, that shit is far as you should be concerned, life or death. You don't aim to kill the other person, but as far as you should be concerned, they are trying to kill you. The OP is obv. no experienced. He should not be trying to throw any type of advanced punch/kick. This means his best bets are the most sensitive areas on the human body, b/c he won't need to have perfect form to achieve results. All he wants is something that will cause enough pain for him to run away. Punching some knuckle head in the jaw, ain't gunna do jack, pal. Unless you know what you are doing AND have heavy hands/good form, you aren't putting a guy out with a single punch to the jaw sorry. Maybe you are Mr. Chuck Norris over there and are just awesome at fighting, but I am trying to be real.

HomerX

Mar 2, 2010
you aren't putting a guy out with a single punch to the jaw sorry.

IF the jaw breaks most people will be unable to continue a fight...

Some of my worst have been getting thrown out a second story window and landing on a pool step railing, getting a 2x4 with nails in it through my hand (better than my head I guess), getting my ass out of several 5+ man on me situations (no I didn't go blow to blow with all of them), and being shot at a few times.

why are u still here? were they all unable to aim?

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
IF the jaw breaks most people will be unable to continue a fight...

Maybe, maybe not. But it sounds like the OP won't be breaking any jaws any time soon. I just offered advice based on personal experience and advice given to me by my self defense/martial arts teacher. I can slap a mean triangle choke on you that will put you out in <5 seconds. However, that is useless when you have a friend who runs over and kicks me in the head during it. Street fights != controlled training environments. Alcohol also lessens the pain that can be inflicted. I was sucker punched twice at a party in college, I didn't go down nor did I barely flinch. Didn't notice I was bleeding until a few mins after fight was over. Apparently I have developed a good jaw from the countless hours of sparring, or he hit like a girl.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Two years? Wow!

No one said it is going to be a knockout. Once many get cracked really good in the jaw, they lose the desire to fight. Everyone is an MMA champion today though.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
^Didn't know you had more professional experience than me, sorry to disagree with you. I forgot you are right about everything. Guess I can't argue with a guy who got shot.. you must know everything.

And unless you get sucker punched by a fucking gorilla, if you have any kind of balls, you won't not fight back. Sorry if everybody isn't Tyson like you.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
dude, two years is nothing. You seem to have a lot of anger issues.

I had not only wrestling in high school, but SEVERAL years of martial arts and competing. I have worked security as well.

Most of the time if you get a good blow into a dude, and are not a freaking buttercup to begin with, that is enough to stop the altercation there.

If you want to try and roll around with a dude and go for a choke, you are putting yourself in major harm's way from any opportunist that wants to kick you.

I think you are clueless.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
if you would read, I said you wouldn't want to go for a choke for that exact reason. At this point I can see you have a massive ego, can't be proven wrong and think you are pure awesomeness. We are high jacking the OP's thread and are now providing useless bullshit for him to read. I answered his question. If you disagree, that's good for you. I will depoist a quarter in your paypal acct so you can call somebody who cares.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
^^ So let me guess, you are a pro fighter right?

I took 2 years of no holds barred MMA lessons from an active NY state sheriff. He holds a GOLD belt in his expert area, which means he is one of the best in the world.
This thread is full of WTF's. "Gold belt in an expert area"?

Pantlegz

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2007

maybe golden gloves boxer? We always joke that they need to implement glove colors for strikers in mma like they have belt colors..

And alky, the more you get hit in the face the less it bothers you thus developing a good jaw. Also getting hit can cause micro fractures that, after healed are harder and don't have as much feeling. Serious muay thai fighters do something similar to their shins/forearms.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008

Ok to clarify, now that I went to look at his website, he was "Inducted into the U.S. Martial Arts Hall of Fame" on feb 27th of 2010. He got some sort of plaque and also that gold belt.

And btw I am not claiming I know everything or I am awesome, or even a great fighter. Even if I only have 3 years now exp, I trained 6 days a week at one point. Met a lot of good people, picked their brains a lot. Sparred a lot, learned a lot. I ain't here to cause a fuss, just provide comment.

Last edited:

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Here in California, if you get in a fight no one cares who started it. Once the cops show up, everyone involved goes to jail. Later charges may get dropped but that is up to the judge to figure out.

So much bad advice in this thread...it makes my head hurt. This is especially bad.

I can't say much because anything said about fighting on the internet frankly makes you look like a tool, so I will refrain.

Dec 28, 2001

Way to veer off the thread there, folks - I'm sure I've contributed, but anyhow:

One day I dream of owning/wearing a belt that is 1/2 rainbow and 1/2 camo, maybe w/ pink polkadots all over.

(I figure if I can go through class wearing something like that enough times, I can roll w/ polar bears . . . and lose only 2 limbs)

Maybe the gold belt a precursor to that? Now that we've ended up in WTF-is-this-thread-I-thought-the-OP-asked-something-completely-unrelated-land wonder what the OP is up to nowadays . . ..

Last edited:

Ghiddy

Feb 14, 2011
Force=mass*acceleration^2

Most guys really can't do much on the mass of their fist (and why boxers usually have massive ones...there are some life-sized posters to compare how you measure up), but they can improve their speed.

In my gym there was a poster/mural of Holyfield, Clay, Ali, Frazier, etc's ungloved fists all lined up. There was absolutely no one in the gym that had equal fists...some may have been stronger dudes, but that doesn't win boxing matches or deliver knockouts.

Also a lot is not so much sheer speed, but also not wasting it over-reacting to your opponents strikes/feints. Many times when someone started with me to others it looked like he had the fight...a couple glancing blows off me, some pretty good misses...asshat's friends cheering it on, only to have me deliver a single strike or grapple (usually a choke or a more or less open handed strike to their nose or ear, but then I always feel bad about it afterwards anyway).

How does a level headed adult get into as many fights as you seem to get into? Generally all the responsible adults I know don't ever get into fights. Only one guy i know does get into fights from time to time, and it's always because he gets shitfaced and ends up in a tussle with other drunks.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
How does a level headed adult get into as many fights as you seem to get into? Generally all the responsible adults I know don't ever get into fights. Only one guy i know does get into fights from time to time, and it's always because he gets shitfaced and ends up in a tussle with other drunks.

Part of it is because I get involved when I see bullshit happening instead of just staring at the floor, smiling uncomfortably or playing with my smart phone trying to ignore it.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Part of it is because I get involved when I see bullshit happening instead of just staring at the floor, smiling uncomfortably or playing with my smart phone trying to ignore it.
traffic_accident-theres-your-problem.jpg

I hope for your sake you don't end up one of those dudes permanently injured because they fucked with the wrong dude(s) in a bar. Nothing is more pathetic than a paralyzed tough guy.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I hope for your sake you don't end up one of those dudes permanently injured because they fucked with the wrong dude(s) in a bar. Nothing is more pathetic than a paralyzed tough guy.

Lol, I couldnt live my life like a rodent running tree to tree.

GoNiners!

Dec 5, 2010
So much bad advice in this thread...it makes my head hurt. This is especially bad.

I can't say much because anything said about fighting on the internet frankly makes you look like a tool, so I will refrain.

I have bailed out enough friends from jail to know you will get arrested. So don't delude yourself if you think you won't get arrested for getting into a serious brawl in a public place such as bar.

Or maybe you think it's just like TV where people get in fights and then get up and shake hands afterwards and become best friends?

Telling someone to not get in a fight in the first place and avoid having a record that will hurt them with a future employer is not bad advice. But I guess that makes me a tool right?

When I worked as an auditor for a CPA firm I conducted interviews and disqualified candidates for misdemeanor assault charges on their records per our firm policy. But by all means, go out and kick some ass and enjoy your tenured career as Walmart Security.

Last edited:

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Damn it, why are there always people who try to convince the OP that he got his priorities mixed up, and that there's really no need to fight or punch harder at all.

Yes, that is all good and well, and I agree with all of your points, but you missed one key thing. The OP asked how he can punch harder and beat the shit out of some bastard that will conduct himself in such a way where the OP will need to act.

Sometimes you simply have no choice, and the arguements that punching harder will not win fights and it's best to avoid conflicts simply wont cut it.

OP, I will give you two advices. Waht relly improved my punching power was boxing. I could really see the difference. It wasnt the boxing itself butthe constant repetition. Because you need to punch as hard as you can and as much as you can, you turn into a machine, almost like a robot where this becomes automatic.

The brain becomes wired for punching, the bones and muscles get used to it. This is the most important part. If I didnt have to pay $500+ for boxing every month, I'd still be doing it. Too bad I ahd to quit. I just dont earn that kind of money.

But there are ways to beat an opponent without a heavy punch. Try something like Kraw Maga or maybe Wing Chun. Something that will allow you to learn techniques to incapacitate the opponent, put him out, disable him so he cannot exchange punches with you.

Yes, it is probably best to avoid fights, but there is nothing worse for a "normal" man than when somone insults him or someone he knows for no reason and he didnt do anything about it, when he knows he should have.

I keep asking myself the question:

"Is it better to die knowing you stood up for yourself, or to live a long life of shame, self torment, and embarassement?"

Then why did you post at all? You wasted your time and everyone elses time who read your post. And go take some Excedrin or something. Although Midol may be better for you.

Last edited:

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Lol, I couldnt live my life like a rodent running tree to tree.

I would say that in my experiences, even at bars, in most instances things that likely would have fizzled out on their own will unnecessarily escalate when outside parties get involved.

If the people are already fighting and you aren't involved, then in general, getting involved is only going to make things worse. If the people aren't already fighting, probably nine times out of ten it's over an issue that either 1) is internal and wouldn't make sense to anyone other than the people arguing, or 2) is over something stupidly inconsequential. In both cases, again, things will likely die down on their own unless someone else decides to involve themselves.

I could see perhaps a handful of situations where getting involved would be warranted and helpful. In most cases, though, it only results in a deterioration of the situation.

Last edited: