What, no thread about Stadia in this subforum? (Cloud gaming - Read Dead Redemption 2 joined at Nov launch)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Everyone knew where this was going to end up. Except Google apparently.

I just hope AMD managed to bag some serious G's with their contract to provide the hardware to Google.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
this *could* work for Turn based games, but anything that requires immediate response is just going to fail.
plus, you have to re-purchase all the titles on Stadia AND pay a subscription. that's just too much.

Feb 4, 2009
That's what gets me. Stuff like Game Pass is a flat monthly fee. Why not Stadia?

Exactly. Sure there is a free option but you have to buy the game and that purchase is only good with stadia.
Would have been much smarter to allow one standard download and be able to play on stadia.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
this *could* work for Turn based games, but anything that requires immediate response is just going to fail.

A while back a tried a service called Shadow. It is a cloud based Windows 10 VM set up for gaming. At the time they were claiming a 1080-level GPU. The advantage it has over Stadia is that you install and run your own standard Win 10 games.

I installed Steam and Borderlands 2 (and some other games) on a iMac using wifi for internet (they recommend a physical network connection). It worked fine. I would occasionally (once every 60-90 minutes) have a bit of a stutter but it was infrequent and brief enough it wasn't a big deal to me.

Given that it is a Windows VM (and more expensive) it is a much different experience than Stadia, but it did work adequately fast for first person shooters. I have no idea why Google is having so much trouble, maybe Shadow did as well when they first launched, but cloud based gaming can work for fast response games.

-KeithP

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
That's what gets me. Stuff like Game Pass is a flat monthly fee. Why not Stadia?

Game Pass requires you to have the hardware (Xbox One or PC) to play the game, but with Stadia, you're using Google's hardware.

Also, the paid subscription is only the initial offering. They're supposed to be offering a free 1080p-only variant later on. My guess is that Google pays for some of this through a typical marketplace cut on each game sale.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Game Pass requires you to have the hardware (Xbox One or PC) to play the game, but with Stadia, you're using Google's hardware.

I get that much. And if they charged twice monthly what Game Pass does, it would make sense. The issue is having to pay a monthly fee plus pay per game. It's not favorable to the consumer at all. If I buy one game in Stadia or 10, I'm still soaking up the same amount of bandwidth and hogging the same amount of hardware on their back end. I think Game Pass is $10/month? Surely Stadia can pay for all that hardware at $20-$30/month.

Feb 4, 2009
Can you use stadia to play other people or does everyone in game need to use stadia?

As in for whatever shooter is the game lobby the same?
I’m assuming a steam works game won’t connect, like a Civ 6

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Giant Bomb guys did a Quick Look on Stadia a couple of days ago:

Mine's on the way but I'm honestly more into it for the technical aspect/testing.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Am I the only one who doesn't use any kind of streaming service?
No, I'm with you. I've always bought my games even when I was a scrub college student and certainly have no problem doing so now. I like being in control of my gaming experience, doing it on my own system, so no thankee. I've always had varying degrees of a reasonably powerful system so for someone like me this really makes no sense.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Got mine all set up; it was a little wonky to configure but it all works fine. Gotta connect the CCU to your TV and network, add the controller to the app, and then finally link it all to the actual CCU. Only took a few minutes once I hooked it up though. Controller feels ok; I was hoping for some rubber on the hand grips. Overall the controller might be just slightly bigger than the dualshock 4.

It's a brand new service so there will likely be some hiccups along the way, but I do like the concept of never having to worry about updates. We'll see how it goes...

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Haven't had any issues with overheating thus far; I'm sort of inclined in believing that Google has done extensive testing on the CC hardware. I played D2 for an hour or so without a single hiccup--something that actually surprised me pleasantly I might add.

However, I suppose if your television is getting hot, and the CCU is attached directly to one of the ports, that this could become problematic in some cases. Mine is actually not attached directly to my TV but in my enclosure that contains other equipment. This enclosure is ventilated, but does have a notable amount of other things contained within.

Man, I do really like no install times, loading screens (or very brief ones), long updates and not worrying about local performance metrics. That alone is a pretty darn good incentive for trying Stadia imo.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Man, I do really like no install times, loading screens (or very brief ones), long updates and not worrying about local performance metrics. That alone is a pretty darn good incentive for trying Stadia imo.
These are all minor gripes that don't really matter in the grand scheme of things unless you're not financially able to get a decent gaming PC or one of the consoles, yet somehow have great internet.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I don't know if I'd consider waiting 15-20 minutes for a game to update and install, vs never having to do so, a small gripe but hey if that doesn't bother you then godspeed.

One thing I know for sure is I don't have the time I used to for gaming, so being able to sit down and play something right away is a nice option.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I don't know if I'd consider waiting 15-20 minutes for a game to update and install, vs never having to do so, a small gripe but hey if that doesn't bother you then godspeed.

One thing I know for sure is I don't have the time I used to for gaming, so being able to sit down and play something right away is a nice option.

A bigger gripe is not being able to control the version of the software that you are running. Updates often have bugs, so being able to stay back a version is nice.

Stadia also removes any chance of having mods on games, which is a major downer.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
A bigger gripe is not being able to control the version of the software that you are running. Updates often have bugs, so being able to stay back a version is nice.

Stadia won't fix that at all. You'll stream in whatever they send you.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yea updating is all back-end, save for of course updates to the chromecast which is easily overlooked. I've only see one of those go through so far though and it was quick.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't PS4 and Xbox require you to update games who need to be connected online?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Yea updating is all back-end, save for of course updates to the chromecast which is easily overlooked. I've only see one of those go through so far though and it was quick.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't PS4 and Xbox require you to update games who need to be connected online?

Multiplayer games require you to be on a specific version. No getting around that. When you have multiple people interacting with each other, its a requirement.

But mods can still be handled per user in multi-player games.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
With history being cyclical, I'm preparing for the upcoming (years from now) requests from people asking for some sort of a physical copy of their media since they are tired of companies controlling how we use our games/movies/music, etc. Maybe even something in the form of a disc and for games, a little booklet that can give us some tutorial information.

Feb 4, 2009
With history being cyclical, I'm preparing for the upcoming (years from now) requests from people asking for some sort of a physical copy of their media since they are tired of companies controlling how we use our games/movies/music, etc. Maybe even something in the form of a disc and for games, a little booklet that can give us some tutorial information.

Wow that is possible. Hopefully challenging games will make a comeback