What, no thread about Stadia in this subforum? (Cloud gaming - Read Dead Redemption 2 joined at Nov launch)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
yeah, soulsborne and roguelite games are particularly unforgiving

Some of the endgame/postgame boss rush content in Hollow Knight is beyond ugly. And the White Palace . . . I can't believe I did that "by accident", twice, because I didn't understand what to do at the end of that stupid dungeon.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
With history being cyclical, I'm preparing for the upcoming (years from now) requests from people asking for some sort of a physical copy of their media since they are tired of companies controlling how we use our games/movies/music, etc. Maybe even something in the form of a disc and for games, a little booklet that can give us some tutorial information.

-I doubt that's ever happening again, unless all human civilzation collapses and we make it back to physical storage mediums without the web connectedness while fighting off mutants in that apocalyptic hellscape.

Even consoles are moving toward a steam-esq system.

Physical media was a thing because it was the only game in town. If we had the internet before we had physical disk storage/distribution, that would have been the system from the start.

People forget that disks/cds/etc degrade, can break, can be lost or stolen, the content on them is typically out of date or might not even be compatible on current systems (resolved by companies like GOG), and most of all take physical space. If someone saw my Steam collection in real life (my wife) I would be in therapy right now. She has even commented "how are you playing something different every time I see you gaming?" Haha the wonders of the internet never cease, my dear. Remember having to pre-order games because the store literally did not have enough shelf space or didn't anticipate demand?

Right now, digital distribution systems are the sweet spot: convenient for the consumer, additonal protection against piracy for companies, all of the performance of physical media by running client side with none of the hangups.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
There's so many fun tetris-like games out there that don't cost a monthly subscription.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
There's so many fun tetris-like games out there that don't cost a monthly subscription.

They're doing a free Stadia Pro trial right now, though. It doesn't hurt to give it a try.

I found that the latency sucks when you're on Wi-Fi, though. I kinda expected that.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
There's so many fun tetris-like games out there that don't require a free trial or suffer from latency issues.

Why would anyone want to pay a monthly subscription (after this free trial ends) to play a game with lag at 4K? Sure it might be cool to see all the individual hairs on your favorite character's head but after losing countless times from something so simple as latency issues, the allure of 4K wears off fast.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
There's so many fun tetris-like games out there that don't require a free trial or suffer from latency issues.

Why would anyone want to pay a monthly subscription (after this free trial ends) to play a game with lag at 4K? Sure it might be cool to see all the individual hairs on your favorite character's head but after losing countless times from something so simple as latency issues, the allure of 4K wears off fast.

I think that they're streaming at 1080p quality right now. The games looked good on my 1440p monitor, anyway. When I was on a wired connection, it played fine.

And, NO, there isn't enough content there currently to warrant paying $10 a month for this service. If I'm spending that kind of money, I'd go with XBox Game Pass instead.

But, hey... if you're bored right now and want to play a few games for free, why not give it a try?

Feb 4, 2009
I’m not good at tracking when free trials end and when billing begins. Typically I don’t opt in for these offers.
Sort of feel if it’s a free trial it should be free, no billing expectations until I opt in to be billed.
Also don’t you need something around $130 special chrome cast thingy to make this work on anything but a desktop?

Reactions: paperfist

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Im with Zin.... there is a bonafide reason why i buy high end hardware to play games.
I even rage when my FPS drops below 50.

And yes i know its a cheap solution, but at that point, i think i'll go out and grab a XBOX for 300, Xbox live game pass, and go that route, before i went Stadia.

Feb 4, 2009
The new Chromecast doesn't support Stadia. Supposedly will be added in the first half of 2021:

Odd choice to launch a new product without support for one of your existing products.

I think it is safe to say Stadia has been a flop. Per my reading there may only be a few thousand paying customers.
Which sort of reminds me of my old Cellular days. We had this nifty (for the time) product where it acted like a car phone while mounted in the car, acted like a wireless phone while carrying it AND acted on your home phone line while at home and within a couple hundred feet.
Cool and smart product for the time. Sadly nobody saw value in it and wouldn’t pay the extra $20(?) per month.
Fast forward a few years and support for the product was ending, it would continue to work as a wireless phone but landline integration was being dropped. When asked why the marketing people said there were only a couple of dozen of users and only two of them paid for the landline portion of it. Those were the only two who would lose a benefit. Two users out of at the time a few hundred thousand.
I suspect Stadia is similar, a whole ton of free I’ll try it out accounts and not many paid accounts and even fewer paid accounts that last more than 3 months.

Edit: upon reading the link it appears google designed the new chrome cast thingy to have an App Store more so than integrate Stadia, in fact it seems like the direction they choose is the worst direction possible for Stadia.

Last edited:
Reactions: GodisanAtheist

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Physics is physics, and server side gaming is *never* going to overcome the latency issue because there is a speed limit to the universe.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Time to send frames through a parallel universe with a different (and higher) value of c and hope they don't arrive in the wrong order.

nah u can have your data partially accelerated though cern collider, and hopefully go though a micro black hole which will transport the data anywhere from 500-1000ms into the past, so you will suffer from no input lag.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Guys guys guys... just open a portal between the server and your router and run some CAT5.

"We're throwing science at the wall here and seeing what sticks"

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Physics is physics, and server side gaming is *never* going to overcome the latency issue because there is a speed limit to the universe.
speed limits are meant to be broken :) you must've heard about "spooky action at a distance" (as Einstein called it)

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Get your new Killer Quantum NIC card with 256 bits of entangled Quantum particles in Google's servers for instantaneous, latency free steaming gaming!

"God plays dice, but the dice are loaded"

Too bad quantum entanglement doesn't ACTUALLY work that way :confused_old:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Amazon just released a public beta test of their Luna game streaming platform.

The game selection on it so far is pretty weak. I also tried playing Grid on it while on Wi-Fi, and ended up with a pretty glitchy gaming experience with lots of frame drops and control issues. So, yeah... it's just like Stadia :)

What bummed me out is that the ads were showing Two Point Hospital as one of the demo games. That seemed like the kind of game that would actually work well streamed, but it wasn't listed once I logged in.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Yeah, I read about that yesterday. My surprise level was roughly zero.

They can claim what they want for the reasoning, but I think its clear that it has not caught on.

• Haha

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Yeah, I read about that yesterday. My surprise level was roughly zero.

They can claim what they want for the reasoning, but I think its clear that it has not caught on.

- Looks like things are right on schedule for another abandoned Google product/service.

At the end of the day, I hope AMD got some nice cash inflow for providing the hardware for this albatross...