What first world problem did you have today?

Page 956 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Went to my regular gas station and there were like fifty cars there.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Just passed the last 4+ hours trying to setup internet for a family member. Holy crap they changed it since the last time I did it and made it way more complicated than it has to be. Normally, you just connect a laptop to router, get a 192.168.x.x IP, check what the gateway is, connect to that, put in default user/pass and then setup wifi. Done.

This particular one wanted you to install some app and fiddle around with that to get it setup. My family member ended up having to do that on their phone.

Every time you want to do any kind of config changes on the router you need a damn app. WHY!?!?! I hate that crap so much. If this was my own internet I would switch to another ISP over that. I don't even run a standard OS on my phone so I would literally not be able to set that up. Why do these companies assume everyone has a smartphone running stock android or apple?
Because that's the norm?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The neighbor installed a cable across the road that runs along his property line. We have an easement on the road so now we have to talk with him about the cable and how it isn't going to stay there.

1653277231627.png

Last edited:

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
Saw a gas price at a local Tigard, OR gas station that read 5.89/gallon for regular unleaded gas.

Premium unleaded gas was close to $7/gallon.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Open photoshop so I can quickly remove a background on a small logo file. Click the selection tool on the toolbar, photoshop crashes immediately. Fuck photoshop.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Finally got the wife's business taxes today. Ridiculous that I had to file an extension on our personal taxes in a year that we're owed a refund because the CPA can't hit a basic deadline.

Anyway, was comparing 2021 to 2020. Had about $6k more in AGI in 2021. Had about $6k more in taxable income in 2021. Yet my total tax in 2021 was $7.5k higher! WTF, marginal rate over 100%!?

Had to look at the return more closely and saw that the IRS moved the Child and Dependant Tax Credit below the line since it was refundable in 2021, so for that year it didn't reduce tax owed it increased tax paid. Almost pooped my pants in rage before I figured it out.

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
I was locked out of my car. Left it overnight in a parking lot.

Next day - Pros I invited over were able to lower the seatback from the trunk and gain entry.

• Wow
Reactions: cytg111

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Third party recruiters won't stop calling. I know, they got their KPIs, but still. It's probably not even a real open rec either.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I was locked out of my car. Left it overnight in a parking lot.

Next day - Pros I invited over were able to lower the seatback from the trunk and gain entry.
I locked my keys in the car once and called AAA to get it unlocked. Tow truck came and unlocked the car in 30 seconds with a wooden wedge and a coat hangar. From that point on I vowed to never leave anything remotely valuable in my car.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I locked my keys in the car once and called AAA to get it unlocked. Tow truck came and unlocked the car in 30 seconds with a wooden wedge and a coat hangar. From that point on I vowed to never leave anything remotely valuable in my car.
I owned a 1975 Suburban with wing windows. I kept a coat hanger under the hood (which didn't lock and could be opened from the outside) in case I locked my keys in. I could pop a wing window in under ten seconds with the coat hanger. I never had valuables in the truck and god help the poor sap who might have stolen it. The thief would have had to make a few hundred dollars in repairs to make an honest get-away. :p

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Brunch at the regular 4.8 star and they were out of bacon...
for 5 minutes, then it was topped off.
I almost died.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Saw a gas price at a local Tigard, OR gas station that read 5.89/gallon for regular unleaded gas.

Premium unleaded gas was close to $7/gallon.
I know this is unusual times, here in Scandinavia, at the beginning of the war diesel and gas were suddenly equal in price.. but right now diesel is like double the normal margin .. like 3/4th of regular. Its volatile.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
There's a new company here that delivers for Amazon and they are total shit, I keep hearing horror stories of packages disappearing, being delivered to wrong house, not showing up altogether etc.

Well looks like I'm now a new victim. Shipping status says they attempted delivery despite me being home, in fact I'm pretty sure I was outside at that time so I would have seen the truck. No notice on door or anything either.

6:54pm - package out for delivery
6:56pm - attempted delivery

Seems suspect.

dtgoodwin

Jun 5, 2009
Selected my 25-year work anniversary gift. It shipped out 2 days later and is reportedly at my local distribution center for UPS, however it went from a delivery by 7:00pm on 5/27 to delivery date yet to be determined. I request customer support from the vendor but got an automatic reply that their first response will be in 3-5 business days. I've read it can take UPS 10+ business days to respond to a lost/non-delivered item inquiry after the shipper opens a request. At this rate, I may hit 26 years before I see it.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Made an on-line purchase and the 'two factor authentication' text message took nearly 3 hours to arrive.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
wife complains her work laptop does not work with monitor connected to type c hub. I told her the laptop's Type c doesn't have DP symbol so no video (seriously Asus? a Zenbook Pro with OLED screen but no DP out on USB Type C?). What does she do? Order a different type c hub... so I ask her why she did that, she said, oh you should cancel that...

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay