What first world problem did you have today?

Page 701 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I hate that consoles now are so freaking complicated to setup. The whole point of a console should be that it's plug and play. Miss the old days of early Nintendo. No accounts or other cloud BS to worry about.
I have an Xbox One X that I got when Red Dead 2 came out, my first console since a Wii and before that PlayStation. It honestly was a pretty plug-and-play experience; I plugged an Ethernet cable into it and the power cable, powered it on, went through the simple setup and bam, done. You can spend additional time going through the Setup menu and tweaking various things but it's super easy to just get it going.

I can't help rh71 with his questions as I have no experience in that sorta linking/unlinking thing, but I'm not sure about the Xbox gametag being tied to a Hotmail account. The only reason I say that is I have a gamertag and have never seen any indication of a Hotmail account anywhere. But I don't know for sure, just going by what I've experienced.

My f'ing FWP is I finally brought my freeze dried raspberries to work to have with my Roundup cereal (Cheerios Medley Crunch), I take off the cover to the can, and... realize I need a fucking can opener to remove the top. GODFUCKINGDAMNIT. Naturally we don't have a can opener at work so I had to bring mine from home when I needed to open my strawberries, but I didn't even think of that this time. Have to wait until Monday for the raspberries. FUCKING BULLSHIT

I will say though that this french toast is 10/10 epic (cook in toaster, takes a few turns to fully warm):

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Ok so I got something else to bitch about. There's some script(s) on this dang site that cause my browser (Firefox v67.0.4 64-bit) to act slowly and kinda lock up sometimes. I never have a problem like it on any other site. I wish there was a way to see which scripts were running and what resources they were taking. Well there might be but I dunno how to access it. Sometimes I'll come back to this tab after not being here awhile (gotta work sometimes amirite) and there will be a message saying sometime like it's taking a long time to respond. Or something like that; I'll have to pay attention more next time (normally I'll just close the browser and re-open it).

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I have an Xbox One X that I got when Red Dead 2 came out, my first console since a Wii and before that PlayStation. It honestly was a pretty plug-and-play experience; I plugged an Ethernet cable into it and the power cable, powered it on, went through the simple setup and bam, done. You can spend additional time going through the Setup menu and tweaking various things but it's super easy to just get it going.

I can't help rh71 with his questions as I have no experience in that sorta linking/unlinking thing, but I'm not sure about the Xbox gametag being tied to a Hotmail account. The only reason I say that is I have a gamertag and have never seen any indication of a Hotmail account anywhere. But I don't know for sure, just going by what I've experienced.

My f'ing FWP is I finally brought my freeze dried raspberries to work to have with my Roundup cereal (Cheerios Medley Crunch), I take off the cover to the can, and... realize I need a fucking can opener to remove the top. GODFUCKINGDAMNIT. Naturally we don't have a can opener at work so I had to bring mine from home when I needed to open my strawberries, but I didn't even think of that this time. Have to wait until Monday for the raspberries. FUCKING BULLSHIT

I will say though that this french toast is 10/10 epic (cook in toaster, takes a few turns to fully warm):
https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Opener-P...?keywords=p38&qid=1561748130&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Put one on your keychain, and you can thank me later. Or we could get crazy, and carry a Swiss Army knife. Then you'd be able to take over the world.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Opener-P...?keywords=p38&qid=1561748130&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Put one on your keychain, and you can thank me later. Or we could get crazy, and carry a Swiss Army knife. Then you'd be able to take over the world.
Haha yeah that's an idea. I do carry a Leatherman Squirt PS4:
LE-831192.jpg

Which I really like but unfortunately no can opener on it, just bottle. I like the scissors in it the best but the pliers are actually decent for being in such a small package.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Ok so I got something else to bitch about. There's some script(s) on this dang site that cause my browser (Firefox v67.0.4 64-bit) to act slowly and kinda lock up sometimes. I never have a problem like it on any other site. I wish there was a way to see which scripts were running and what resources they were taking. Well there might be but I dunno how to access it. Sometimes I'll come back to this tab after not being here awhile (gotta work sometimes amirite) and there will be a message saying sometime like it's taking a long time to respond. Or something like that; I'll have to pay attention more next time (normally I'll just close the browser and re-open it).

You're not using an Ad blocker?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I've fucking had it with these Xbox / PC / whatever console privacy profile settings bullshit.

I create a child account using a new Hotmail for my kid (probably should've just made him a full access adult account). Now I have all these privacy options and I have to allow access to such like voice communication to non-XBL (so he can cross-platform chat with his bro on PC in the other room). I'm logged in as the parent account attempting to change his privacy options. I update radio boxes and hit Submit. All it does is the submit button grays out like it's doing something in the background but it never goes to another page or anything. So I refresh the page to see if the options I chose stuck, but nope, they didn't. Adblock is not on, popups are allowed. Didn't reflect changes. I try about 5 times and one option finally took. Can't get any others. W T F. First it was the Epic Games linking accounts saga (can't link to the proper account after unlinking an incorrect acct BTW - fuck them), and now it's Xbox's desktop site UI. Why do they make this fucking shit for managing your kids stuff so annoying to use? Are kids programming this shit and not actual web dev'ers?

EDIT> After a few more minutes, a refresh shows the new settings took. In essence, these interfaces suck. F'you MS, F'you Epic Games.

Last edited:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
The bump "button" on the weed eater was worn through so I ordered another for $5. Cut the rest of the old one off. Couldn't see how it worked until after I snapped the new one in place. It's spring loaded. Too bad I didn't know that before nor do I have the spring....

Amazon questions showed the part, another $5. I should have just spent the $20 for the whole unit.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
The bump "button" on the weed eater was worn through so I ordered another for $5. Cut the rest of the old one off. Couldn't see how it worked until after I snapped the new one in place. It's spring loaded. Too bad I didn't know that before nor do I have the spring....

Amazon questions showed the part, another $5. I should have just spent the $20 for the whole unit.
I got one of these for my brushcutter, US made...

https://www.amazon.com/Weed-Warrior...+trimmer+head&qid=1561838900&s=gateway&sr=8-5

I haven't used it extensively, but I like it. I had one string jam I had to use my leatherman to clear, but otherwise it's worked as advertised. I hate bump feed trimmer heads. Seems like I'm always dicking around with them instead of cutting. I noticed they also sell it at TractorSupply if you have one close to you.

Reactions: highland145

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Trying to figure out why this windows 10 machine is so slow, and windows 10 being such a convoluted OS makes it even harder to troubleshoot. Just found how to get to "my computer" and checked what kind of hard drive is in there.. No freaking wonder it's so slow. It's a 5400 rpm drive. Why do manufactures always put the most bottom of the barrel drives in laptops, pisses me off they screw users like that. Pay all that money and you end up having to swap out parts to make it better.

I'll have to offer to just put a SSD. IMO that should be the standard option now for OS drives, it's ridiculous they still put spindle drives. They should make an add-on spindle drive an extra option for more storage, but the OS drive should be SSD.

Also can't even defrag because apparently you need admin access for that, no idea what the admin password is.

Dealing with Windows reminds me why I switched to Linux.

Reactions: highland145

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Fam has gone on a cruise. They'll be gone for a week and I'm home alone. :expressionless:
Wife called, she just got on a carnival boat with 3K of the un-washed masses from wal-mart, her new bff's. Said they don't give you a slice of pizza, they give you the whole pie. Their room for 3 peeps barely holds their luggage. Royal Caribbean, ftw. Granted we did drop $6K total on that trip.

So sad that I didn't go. I'm having to grill my own steak tonight.:(

:p

The trip is a graduation present for my kid and 5 of his friends plus 4 adults to chaperone.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Well,sir, you are in a world of shit and pain.The cocaine dwarfs have been sent,recourse they want it.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
You're not using an Ad blocker?
Yeah well I have uBlock Origin add-on for Firefox but I'm using Tapatalk on my phone at the moment. And on PC I have uBlock turned off for this site cause I thought I was being a nice guy, haha.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The /etc/resolv.conf file randomly got changed by the system on one of my DNS servers and it caused a ripple effect on my whole network causing all sorts of weird DNS issues.

I changed it back but still dealing with all sorts of weird DNS issues including the wifi no longer working on my phone. I really need to streamline my DNS setup and have a single RPI doing DNS. Though it's tempting to just transfer everything straight to pfsense as it can do DNS.

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
PEB
The /etc/resolv.conf file randomly got changed by the system on one of my DNS servers and it caused a ripple effect on my whole network causing all sorts of weird DNS issues.

I changed it back but still dealing with all sorts of weird DNS issues including the wifi no longer working on my phone. I really need to streamline my DNS setup and have a single RPI doing DNS. Though it's tempting to just transfer everything straight to pfsense as it can do DNS.

You put a lot of time and energy into making more work for yourself. Congratulations!