What first world problem did you have today?

Page 699 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Lost my USAF survival knife today. I was brushcutting, and the harness pad was knocking it around, and it fell out of the sheath. I made a couple passes with a metal detector, but there was so much crap on the ground it was hard to swing. Looking for a brown and black knife on a forest floor full of cut brush... I have to order another one. I use it all the time. Disturbingly, Amazon says it was discontinued by Ontario. Their website shows OOS, so... I can still get one, but I can't lose it if they aren't making more.
I don't have personal experience with them, but I think ESEE and Ontario both make pretty universally highly regarded outdoor/survival knives, I think you could find one you like.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Got copystriked on a Youtube video even though I used music available under creative commons. This shit pisses me off. No matter what you try to do you end up getting hit anyway.

I really need to find some music software and just make my own from scratch. But even then if some copyright company uses the same software then the sounds will be too similar and I'll probably get hit anyway.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Went to ER, sore throat was just too bad to wait till I can get to a clinic. Unfortunately it's not strep throat which means it's not treatable by antibiotics. But guess the good news is, the doctor said it's a virus and it should not last more then a few more days. Hopefully he's right.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Went to ER, sore throat was just too bad to wait till I can get to a clinic. Unfortunately it's not strep throat which means it's not treatable by antibiotics. But guess the good news is, the doctor said it's a virus and it should not last more then a few more days. Hopefully he's right.

Did he say if you were going to live at the end of those few days? Important detail you see.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Did he say if you were going to live at the end of those few days? Important detail you see.

99% chance of survival, but 10% chance of keeping will of survival. :p

Great news though, coffee seems to help. Either that, or the Advil and all the other meds just kicked in. Still painful but not as bad as earlier.

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
Did the doctor at the ER have a bone through his nose? Was he wearing a grass skirt and dancing around the examination room?

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I'll try to summarize as I could write many more paragraphs...

Promoted to manager/lead of a new team that would split off from the existing test engineering team - this new team will be responsible for all test engineering work for our system products, which I'm an expert in. Been doing development, design, and characterization work on them within the R&D group for the past eight years. I was promoted based on the talent I showed in fixing the absolute mess of test programs we had for our system products, since the test team was nowhere near capable of handling it themselves.

I'm experiencing idiotic resistance from the current lead of the test engineering team in every single new perspective or idea I bring to the table on how we can improve the efficiency and ease of test development. Won't even discuss them; you'd expect some back and forth to refine the idea, but no - nothing. Everything is "impossible" and simply can't be done. This guy's work is sloppy with zero documentation and he's one of those people who only does the work for the present and gives no consideration to any long-term effects. Everything needs to be done his way even if it's wrong. Not very many people are thrilled with him, even those working for him.

Basically told by our boss that while I'm the expert in our systems, she has to defer to him on test development since he has a couple of years of experience in the new test system over me (I've worked there for ~11 years, while he's been there for ~9-10 years - I took the R&D route while he took the test engineering route, and he was given a management position a couple of years ago due to departures). I get it, she needs to stay neutral. But two years of doing it wrong means nothing to me. I also figured that I was promoted because I proved I was able to competently do test development on my own, not because they just liked me that much. Even told by the President that the current test team "doesn't know what the fuck they're doing."

I'm seriously considering either going back to the R&D department or finding a new job. Either wouldn't be difficult for me at all, but I know both options would put the test team in a horrible position and be awful for the company. Another option is to just stay where I am, let him do it his way, and be there to pick up the pieces (again) when everything fails.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's St-Jean Baptiste day in Quebec so we have to pickup all their calls and it's ridiculously busy at work today. I'm still sick but not sick enough to be off sick. Miserable day dealing with one trouble after the other.

If they're going to operate the company with all services then they should have the staff come in, otherwise just close the call centre ffs.

There's a fibre cut on top of all this.

What a day and it's not even 10 yet.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
On more positive note, that Youtube video that got hit with a copyright strike got reversed. I threatened to contact my attorneys (always sounds more serious when you go plural) and told them they don't own the music because the site that provides it under creative commons owns it and it's free to use.

They surprisingly reversed it no questions asked. Probably a copyright troll company and I caught em. I wish there was actual repercussions for false IP law accusations. Too much of that crap now days.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
It’s San Juan’s Day here as well. This marks the traditional beginning of the monsoon season and the coming of the summer rains, a very big deal in the desert. This year, San Juan must have gotten snagged at the border because there’s no rain in the forecast, not even the pre-monsoon buildup to the south.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
It’s San Juan’s Day here as well. This marks the traditional beginning of the monsoon season and the coming of the summer rains, a very big deal in the desert. This year, San Juan must have gotten snagged at the border because there’s no rain in the forecast, not even the pre-monsoon buildup to the south.
Should have brought a squall along. That would have guaranteed entry.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Should have brought a squall along. That would have guaranteed entry.
The southwestern monsoons originate in the Gulf of Mexico and slowly spread across Mexico before coming into the US. My wife and I have a video storyboarded concerning San Juan trying to get into the US with his bundle of rain clouds and getting hung up at the border. We’re trying to convince a local band to make the video but no bites so far. Something about the animator wanting to be paid.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
The southwestern monsoons originate in the Gulf of Mexico and slowly spread across Mexico before coming into the US. My wife and I have a video storyboarded concerning San Juan trying to get into the US with his bundle of rain clouds and getting hung up at the border. We’re trying to convince a local band to make the video but no bites so far. Something about the animator wanting to be paid.
So we're doing it wrong in other regards.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
My work laptop was supposed to be updated to Win 10 last week and ready for use this week. I’m looking at an empty dock at the moment.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Lost my USAF survival knife today. I was brushcutting, and the harness pad was knocking it around, and it fell out of the sheath. I made a couple passes with a metal detector, but there was so much crap on the ground it was hard to swing. Looking for a brown and black knife on a forest floor full of cut brush... I have to order another one. I use it all the time. Disturbingly, Amazon says it was discontinued by Ontario. Their website shows OOS, so... I can still get one, but I can't lose it if they aren't making more.
Found it! So happy right now. I wasn't in the woods 5 minutes before it turned up. My new one's supposed to come today, so I guess I'll have a spare now. That's fine. It isn't so much the money, as it is hating losing things. Carelessness pisses me off, especially when it's mine.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My work laptop was supposed to be updated to Win 10 last week and ready for use this week. I’m looking at an empty dock at the moment.

I heard we're going to get windows 10 soon. We JUST moved to Windows 7. Why can't they leave shit alone. It takes years to get to the point that everything works and then they change it all again. Windows 10 is going to be a disaster, we'll end up being using VMs for everything it's going to be mickey mouse. We already do use lot of XP VMs and other weird workarounds for stuff.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I’ve been gifted with a loaner machine. I can get to email but no network drives for me. Company policy demands we keep all work files on the network drives. Nef.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Got copystriked on a Youtube video even though I used music available under creative commons. This shit pisses me off. No matter what you try to do you end up getting hit anyway.

I really need to find some music software and just make my own from scratch. But even then if some copyright company uses the same software then the sounds will be too similar and I'll probably get hit anyway.
That don't surprise me. From what I've seen, YouTube's copright system is *totally* out of whack. Heck, one guy's video got copy-striked because he was HUMMING a song for a few seconds. HUMMING. H3H3 Productions has talked about it recently (among others, I'm sure). Jeez it's fucked.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That don't surprise me. From what I've seen, YouTube's copright system is *totally* out of whack. Heck, one guy's video got copy-striked because he was HUMMING a song for a few seconds. HUMMING. H3H3 Productions has talked about it recently (among others, I'm sure). Jeez it's fucked.

Yeah it's retarded. Someone also got copy striked for "playing" a song on a towel dispenser by taping the side of it. It's also so random because there's tons of music videos and random copyrighted stuff that does not get hit while a lot of it does get hit.

I really wish there was a copyright reform. You should be allowed to USE copyrighted content, you should just not be allowed to claim ownership of it or make money off it (ex: by selling it). Using it as background music, or making a remix should be considered fair use. The requirement should be that you give credit. Unfortunately not how it works.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
See my thread about comcast disabling dialing local phone numbers without an area code, now requiring 1-area code to dial local numbers.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If you use it in a youtube video, don't people make money by having viewers?

I guess that's a gray area. You should not be able to just re-upload a song and monetize it. But if it's like a super small clip part of a video you made then imo it should be allowed. Maybe they need to have better definition, like you're allowed to use no more than say, 10% of a song or something. Or if the song is part of background noise and not deliberately added it should be allowed (ex: you are vlogging and the radio is on). There should also be differences between a small guy making a few bucks off youtube vs big movie corporation. A big movie corporation should be a bit more restricted in what they can do since they are making millions off their content.

IMO there should be some kind of process where you pay a fee and submit a claim and a judge or jury or something looks it over, and only then can they take your content down. If the claimant wins, the person who used the copyrighted content has to pay the fee for and take down the content. There should be a human factor and due process involved.

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
It would seem only fair that I can use 10% of RS's house and property. What right does he have to deny me? Property rights are stupid and should be done away with. While we're at it, I would like 10% use of his car, as well.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If someone can make a copy of my property and implement it on their own property they can use it for whatever the hell they want as far as I'm concerned. Does not affect me.

Reactions: lxskllr