What first world problem did you have today?

Page 490 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Left my ancient toaster oven running overnight, and the lower elements quit working. Got a black & decker from biglots today, and I think it's gonna be too small. Feels cheap also. It's one of my most used appliances, so I wanted to get /something/, but I might have to get another one once I see what's on the market.
img54c.jpg

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Left my ancient toaster oven running overnight, and the lower elements quit working. Got a black & decker from biglots today, and I think it's gonna be too small. Feels cheap also. It's one of my most used appliances, so I wanted to get /something/, but I might have to get another one once I see what's on the market.

Shit. Did it turn itself on or just accidentally left on?

We have a 20 year old one that I want gone but fucking idiots won't throw out cause it still works -- and is stored next to a lot of trash in a far corner behind the fridge. They won't even unplug it. The new one sits dead center in the kitchen and would be hard to miss if it was left on.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
We have one at work that's probably older than I am, I always laugh because we have to hide it every time there's a health and safety inspection. It looks so old and dangerous that just leaving it unplugged feels like it's probably not enough. lol

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Get one of the Breville toaster ovens. i think this is their top of the line model but they have others. This can handle a 12" pizza although you should get the additional pizza tray. I love mine and use it constantly.
https://smile.amazon.com/Breville-BOV845BSS-Convection-Toaster-Stainless/dp/B00XBOXVIA/ref=sr_1_2

61mILf2bPkL._SL1500_.jpg

I used to have a convection microwave but it died and I couldn't find a replacement so I had to get a microwave and convection oven.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
We have one at work that's probably older than I am, I always laugh because we have to hide it every time there's a health and safety inspection. It looks so old and dangerous that just leaving it unplugged feels like it's probably not enough. lol

Some twat on the other side of my cubicle years ago had a toaster. Twat never cleaned it out, stunk up the entire floor whenever he used it, not burned it, just used it. I went over to check one evening and it was caked with shit all over inside, probably at least a decade old. No one did anything. And there were a lot of space heaters all over the place. One guy's surge protector was too short so he decided to suspend it mid air with the computer cable holding it up. Ya, now I remember why I hated that job with a passion.

Get one of the Breville toaster ovens. i think this is their top of the line model but they have others. This can handle a 12" pizza although you should get the additional pizza tray. I love mine and use it constantly.

I wanted that one, was even willing to pay, but didn't want to deal with the non-stick interior -- if someone left it on, there'd be a nice toxic cloud of smoke. My current toaster should be stainless and/or galvanized steel inside and out.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Shit. Did it turn itself on or just accidentally left on?
My dumb ass left it on. Making my gourmet dinner of tater tots and cookies. Passed out from carb overload. When I went to make beakfast in the morning, I thought "Why's it so warm over here?", and see tne toaster on. The top elements still light, but the bottom was dead.
https://smile.amazon.com/Breville-BOV845BSS-Convection-Toaster-Stainless/dp/B00XBOXVIA/ref=sr_1_2

61mILf2bPkL._SL1500_.jpg

I used to have a convection microwave but it died and I couldn't find a replacement so I had to get a microwave and convection oven.
I was just looking at those on Amazon. They're a good bit more than I intended to spend, but I do use them a lot. The only electric appliance I use more is my coffee maker. I'll give it some thought, and keep my eyes open. If my microwave died I doubt I'd replace it, but I love having a toaster oven. Btw, the last one was DeLonghi(sp?). It was probably 25 years old.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The only objection I have to it is the convection fan. It was quiet to start but now it makes a rattling noise. I don't really care as long as it works but it would nice if it were quiet.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
My dumb ass left it on. Making my gourmet dinner of tater tots and cookies. Passed out from carb overload. When I went to make beakfast in the morning, I thought "Why's it so warm over here?", and see tne toaster on. The top elements still light, but the bottom was dead.

Shit happens. Someone else here, a while back, said their toaster oven spontaneously turned itself on overnight. Now I know why the manual for my newer toaster said to unplug it whenever it wasn't in use. I got it hooked up to a surge protector -- ampacity should be fine -- but someone has a desk lamp hooked to that and is too stupid to turn a surge protector on/off.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The weather outside has been way too hot especially for January. The snow is getting soft and I keep getting stuck when backing into my driveway. I really hope it can at least go back to freezing temps soon. This global warming stuff is getting bad and it's probably only going to get worse.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
The weather outside has been way too hot especially for January. The snow is getting soft and I keep getting stuck when backing into my driveway. I really hope it can at least go back to freezing temps soon. This global warming stuff is getting bad and it's probably only going to get worse.
This is what my winter looks like :^(

4bd5724052.png

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
I have no idea how/why such a small battery that's AGM, and doesn't live in the heat of the engine compartment has such a short life compared to most automotive batteries. My dad had a 2001 Cadillac DHS. That thing had a giant battery located under the read seat. We replaced the original battery in 2012. Batteries like temperatures that humans like.
That's odd. My '06 Lincoln LS (battery in trunk) is still on its original factory battery.
Easy enough to replace (actual replacement + finding an aftermarket batt), but haven't needed to.
Nope. Won't pay for the service and won't deal with the prospect of breaking a $500 phone -- I've dropped my cell over 10 times by now. A 7 E Lite is only $100 on sale and has both Wifi and GPS.
Unlocked LG G3 for $99 :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/13163230820...49&var=431001257345&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Bought a couple of various family / extended family members, look pretty much new and upgrades to (at least) Android 6.0.