What first world problem did you have today?

Page 1059 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
I had jury duty this morning. Got picked for a rare possible Friday jury; they need 100 people that have to come in tomorrow as well. I did get to leave at around 10am though but never heard of such a thing. :confused:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I decided to use 2 part epoxy glue to fix a Christmas decoration and did it in my office. That was a very bad idea, I'm getting a serious buzz now. That stuff is potent!

The best way to describe it is imagine you were eating plastic, but through your nose.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I decided to use 2 part epoxy glue to fix a Christmas decoration and did it in my office. That was a very bad idea, I'm getting a serious buzz now. That stuff is potent!

The best way to describe it is imagine you were eating plastic, but through your nose.
I think this defines plenty of your existence. High on epoxy glue and didn't even do it on purpose.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Not too many self employed peeps here this can be painful/expensive if you don't report to the treasury dept. I only heard about it from a friend. Beneficial Ownership Information has to be reported.

Willful failure to comply with the final rule's reporting requirements can lead to civil penalties of up to $500 per day a violation has not been remedied or criminal penalties of up to $10,000 and/or imprisonment of up to two years.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Not too many self employed peeps here this can be painful/expensive if you don't report to the treasury dept. I only heard about it from a friend. Beneficial Ownership Information has to be reported.

Willful failure to comply with the final rule's reporting requirements can lead to civil penalties of up to $500 per day a violation has not been remedied or criminal penalties of up to $10,000 and/or imprisonment of up to two years.

It's a start. Unmasking the true owners of LLCs and other corporations is a good thing. The $500/day isn't so good. It hammers small business owners while being a minor nuisance to the rich, less than the cost of the chauffeur. The exemption list pretty much eliminates the top dogs from the reporting requirement, damn Congress.

Aren't you exempt under C.2, exemption 6? Maybe under C.6?

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
It's a start. Unmasking the true owners of LLCs and other corporations is a good thing. The $500/day isn't so good. It hammers small business owners while being a minor nuisance to the rich, less than the cost of the chauffeur. The exemption list pretty much eliminates the top dogs from the reporting requirement, damn Congress.

Aren't you exempt under C.2, exemption 6? Maybe under C.6?

Figured loan shark wouldn't fly under currency dealer. :D
Took all of 5 minutes so better safe than sorry.

(1) Currency dealer or exchanger.
(2) Check casher.
(3) Issuer of traveler's checks, money orders or stored value.
(4) Seller or redeemer of traveler's checks, money orders or stored value.
(5) Money transmitter.
(6) U.S. Postal Service.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Over on the sale side of another forum I belong to, there is someone selling an original painting for $2000. The subject is a well known paint by number piece. :p

1708893431990.png

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I decided to add 4 3TB drives (pulled from my NAS when I did my upgrade) to my workstations so I can run VMs locally, as VirtualBox seems to have issues and I am wondering if it's NFS it doesn't like. So doing this as a troubleshooting step.

Well I got the drives installed, SAS HBA installed, then realized, I don't have enough power cables. Doh. I put everything back together so I can have a working PC again and will figure out the best approach. Apparently you're not suppose to use molex to sata adapters since they catch on fire or something. I do have another PSU and a ton of cables for it, so worse case scenario I will just swap out the whole PSU.

The downside of modular PSUs is that they are not actually all that, modular. The cables are only made for that make/model PSU, from what I understand, anyway.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
IT sent a nastygram telling us that we must update our windows password by the end of the week. So I updated my password this morning. Less than five minutes later I get a pop up message demanding that I change my password again, immediately. Today is looking like a candidate retirement date.

• Haha
Reactions: highland145

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I decided to add 4 3TB drives (pulled from my NAS when I did my upgrade) to my workstations so I can run VMs locally, as VirtualBox seems to have issues and I am wondering if it's NFS it doesn't like. So doing this as a troubleshooting step.

Well I got the drives installed, SAS HBA installed, then realized, I don't have enough power cables. Doh. I put everything back together so I can have a working PC again and will figure out the best approach. Apparently you're not suppose to use molex to sata adapters since they catch on fire or something. I do have another PSU and a ton of cables for it, so worse case scenario I will just swap out the whole PSU.

The downside of modular PSUs is that they are not actually all that, modular. The cables are only made for that make/model PSU, from what I understand, anyway.
Hard drives draw little power, like 18W. No issue with an additional junction point. SATA is rated for 54W, Molex is 133W.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
IT sent a nastygram telling us that we must update our windows password by the end of the week. So I updated my password this morning. Less than five minutes later I get a pop up message demanding that I change my password again, immediately. Today is looking like a candidate retirement date.
Call helpdesk and have them remove the popup since you already changed the password. It is preventing you from working :wink:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Change it back to the old one before the new one takes up valuable space in the "shit I have to remember" centre of your brain!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Bastards have it set to reject last bajillion passwords used.
Ours have had to back down on their password rules and frequency of change due to the sheer number of "I can't log into anything" support calls.
It doesn't help that when you change your main password here it seems to change a random set log ins and leaves some systems still using your old one. It makes remembering what each password for each system is quite the adventure!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
That's what post-it notes are for.
Unfortunately I end up using lots o different PCs in lots of different areas. I was contemplating getting everyone to use the same password but that didn't fly (they did make one of the systems use a common password though so that was progress, although it kinda makes the whole log in process seem a bit redundant)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Unfortunately I end up using lots o different PCs in lots of different areas. I was contemplating getting everyone to use the same password but that didn't fly (they did make one of the systems use a common password though so that was progress, although it kinda makes the whole log in process seem a bit redundant)
Post-Its are cheap xd

Or just keep it in a note on your phone.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I applied for a grant with CalRecycle for the City's recycling effort. I focused on procurement of some compost material that we can give out to citizens for free because I didn't have a lot of time to develop a real program. The request was for $7200. We were awarded $75k?!!! Now I've just made for work for me....

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I applied for a grant with CalRecycle for the City's recycling effort. I focused on procurement of some compost material that we can give out to citizens for free because I didn't have a lot of time to develop a real program. The request was for $7200. We were awarded $75k?!!! Now I've just made for work for me....
I hear the mob has a lot of organic material they would like to dispose of discreetly.

• Haha
Reactions: thestrangebrew1

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Hard drives draw little power, like 18W. No issue with an additional junction point. SATA is rated for 54W, Molex is 133W.

The issue is there is a weird trend of Molex to Sata cables failing. I don't understand the science behind it considering the small power draw, and especially because they're failing at the sata end and not molex so the molex part is not even in the picture. But if you look it up everybody basically says not to use those adapters and there are lot of cases to prove it. They basically melt right at the hard drive.

I found some sata connectors with bare wires on Digikey and I could run power to those from my own source, but I don't know if that will be any better because it's the sata part itself that fails in these setups. Not sure what is the difference between the stock connectors that come with the PSU and the after market ones. Maybe they have some kind of sense line going back to the PSU to regulate current better?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Bastards have it set to reject last bajillion passwords used.

That's how my company is, you can never reuse the same password. It's a pita since everything expires at different rates so it makes it hard to make things sync with each other. I try to keep the same itteration for each system. Some systems require 12 characters, some require 8, etc so I have different versions of the same password and I just make a small change to it.

The one that requires 12 characters is the most strict. Can't have dictionary words, or sequences of characters either, like qw or 12 or ab is not allowed because they are sequences, either on the keyboard or in alphabet/numbers. Also can't have the same character twice like aa etc. What I do is for numbers I just alternate the shift key so if I want to do 123 it's 1@3. That seems to work. The only GOOD thing is that one only expires once a year.