What first world problem did you have today?

Page 1057 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Am waiting for kids doing their tutoring so I figure I'll watch an anime on Amazon prime. It only has French subtitles...

1000009015.png

Some anime even have French dub... No English sub for them.

So I had to close the app and launch Plex and stream from my server :colbert:

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
How is it 2024 and dumbshits still have no idea how to bid on eBay?

535dc9ffb1d2664fd00b6c9a8d98d5cc.jpg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Not really my first world problem but my coworker's.

He was going through his old bookmarks to clear stuff that's no longer valid and one of the domains got picked up by hackers and when he opened it his whole machine got compromised with ransomware. He's going to be out of commission for a while now while IT investigates it further and ultimately, reloads his machine. Fun fun.

Hopefully that didn't spread to rest of corporate network.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Not really my first world problem but my coworker's.

He was going through his old bookmarks to clear stuff that's no longer valid and one of the domains got picked up by hackers and when he opened it his whole machine got compromised with ransomware. He's going to be out of commission for a while now while IT investigates it further and ultimately, reloads his machine. Fun fun.

Hopefully that didn't spread to rest of corporate network.
Year or 2 back, someone opened the wrong email at a Bridgestone plant across the country...shut all of them down for a week.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So your corporate network isn't using a protected DNS server like 1.1.1.1 or 9.9.9.9 ?

They have pretty tight security, everything runs through a proxy, but stuff can slip through the cracks. This was also a domain that was owned by us many moons ago, that they let go. Coworker was going through old bookmarks deleting stuff that's no longer valid, opened it up, and bam.

Sounds like Norton was able to remove it though. He's back in commission now. I figured they would do a format by policy but I guess IT was confident it was actually gone. I think it may have been confined to only his profile only, don't think it spread to rest of network.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I went to search for a keyword in an email in Outlook and almost ended up making a career limiting move. Who the hell at Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to make CTRL+F open a new email reply box?! Every single other application in existence uses it for finding text. If I had been slightly faster and pressed enter after entering the keyword who knows what would have happened, maybe it would have sent the email. Reply all to the entire corporation instead of a search. What a stupid UX design. Such a simple key sequence that is normally used for a search shouldn't be able to do something that major. There is also another shortcut I've been burned by before, I think it's ctrl+enter, it sends the email, with zero prompt. So if you're in the middle of typing ans accidentally hit that, boom, your email just gets sent.

Meanwhile you want to turn off your computer and an application is still open and it asks you like 3 times if you're really sure. :tearsofjoy:

Speaking of bad UX design, there are laptops that stick the power button randomly in the keyboard, it's like between the F12 key and delete or something like that. I wonder if there is some sort of inside joke among UX designers to see what kind of insanity they can actually get approved by upper management.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I went to search for a keyword in an email in Outlook and almost ended up making a career limiting move. Who the hell at Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to make CTRL+F open a new email reply box?! Every single other application in existence uses it for finding text. If I had been slightly faster and pressed enter after entering the keyword who knows what would have happened, maybe it would have sent the email. Reply all to the entire corporation instead of a search. What a stupid UX design. Such a simple key sequence that is normally used for a search shouldn't be able to do something that major. There is also another shortcut I've been burned by before, I think it's ctrl+enter, it sends the email, with zero prompt. So if you're in the middle of typing ans accidentally hit that, boom, your email just gets sent.

Meanwhile you want to turn off your computer and an application is still open and it asks you like 3 times if you're really sure. :tearsofjoy:

Speaking of bad UX design, there are laptops that stick the power button randomly in the keyboard, it's like between the F12 key and delete or something like that. I wonder if there is some sort of inside joke among UX designers to see what kind of insanity they can actually get approved by upper management.
I think CTRL + F is forward in Outlook if I recall correctly. CTRL + E may be search.

Nov 17, 2019
I don't remember the last time I drank a beer. 20 years? 30?

I bought a single bottle of some kind of Ale maybe 10 years ago to flavor some BBQ sauce and might have taken a sip just to test the taste.

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
UPS tried to deliver my new toy to my FFL before they opened for the day. Now I may have to wait until Tuesday. FFL is closed Mondays. :(

Nov 17, 2019
Ran some errands. After the last stop as I was getting into the car ro drive home, pants ripped. Right along the back pocket where the stitch makes them weaker to begin with. Oh well. They lasted close to 10 years as far as I can guess.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My hand still hurts from that gash, but it's healing. I have a feeling I'll get a sick scar from that. I will have to tell people I got into a fight with a robot and won, it's going to sound more cool than my cat accidentally grazing me.

This is almost fully healed now. It's crazy how good the body is at fixing skin. I just have a feint pink line now, It's hardly rough anymore and I don't even think it's going to scar.

Jul 27, 2020
This is almost fully healed now. It's crazy how good the body is at fixing skin. I just have a feint pink line now, It's hardly rough anymore and I don't even think it's going to scar.
Your diet must have sufficient zinc in it. You can also use a zinc ointment cream on your hand to help the skin repair itself faster.