What first world problem did you have today?

Page 1058 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Not 1st world but a problem....the lock nut (?) on the axle on my MTB came loose while riding today. Initially a pop every few revolutions. Thought it might be pedal bearings. Got worse, thought it was bottom bracket bearings. Really raising hell by the time I got home. 1100 miles on this bike, never had this happen before with 30+ years of regular riding. I'll see if I screwed anything else up after dinner. Hopefully not. If so, I think it's on the manufacturer. Not like I had tools to fix it 30 min from home. Bought new March 1st 2023.

Hey @Red Squirrel I'll trade you my soon to be 60 for your soon to be 40. It's a good deal. I already got the goodie...er, I mean... pain and suffering out of the 20 I'm offering you.

Reactions: lxskllr
Jul 27, 2020
but zinc is one of the things I take.
Just make sure not to take too much of it. Safe level is under 20mg daily as you may get up to 15mg from food sources too.

Taking 100 mg of zinc daily, or taking supplemental zinc for 10 years or longer, has been linked with a doubling of the risk developing prostate cancer in men.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Not 1st world but a problem....the lock nut (?) on the axle on my MTB came loose while riding today. Initially a pop every few revolutions. Thought it might be pedal bearings. Got worse, thought it was bottom bracket bearings. Really raising hell by the time I got home. 1100 miles on this bike, never had this happen before with 30+ years of regular riding. I'll see if I screwed anything else up after dinner. Hopefully not. If so, I think it's on the manufacturer. Not like I had tools to fix it 30 min from home. Bought new March 1st 2023.

Hey @Red Squirrel I'll trade you my soon to be 60 for your soon to be 40. It's a good deal. I already got the goodie...er, I mean... pain and suffering out of the 20 I'm offering you.
1st world...I need to take the rear cassette off to lock down the nut. Don't have the tool to take the cassette off. Eff it, I need a new tire anyway.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Woke up feeling good this morning for a Monday, ready to go make some money, but then car wouldn't start. Had to get it towed to get a new starter. Almost 150K miles on a 2006 Honda.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Just tried to reset an online bank account i didnt even know i had. Their challenge question was what year did you start your account. Absolutly no idea. Now i have to drive 5 hours to meet in person to unlock an account. Ooook then.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I switched back to Tidal after Spotify paid Rogan again. But I am missing two features. Oh well. I can deal for now. I do like the higher res music though when I listen through certain gear.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I hate that crap. I use a password manager so I KNOW I didn't "forget" my password, but it seems lot of sites will just randomly stop accepting my password. Then they give you the run around to get back in. I can't login to my gas account anymore to see my bills, it just randomly stopped working one day and even if I do a reset it still never works. Gave up. I see the bill when it comes out of the bank... would just be nice to see the break down.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Never used one so quick question: what do you do if you forget the password to the password manager?
The password database is encrypted with AES512 if I remember right so I would probably be screwed. :p

I actually want to add a feature so I can print out all the passwords then throw it in a safe. If I die at least my family will be able to get into my bank and stuff. But it would also be an offline backup.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Used to be able to click on an images once or twice on Reddit and usually save them as a jpeg. Now they are all WebP files that have to be converted.

Fuckers.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Rented some lenses for our trip to Iceland but the FedEx managed to leave the tag even though we were home this morning, hopefully I get a refund as we're at the airport now.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
My lady's a good shopper and always saves a ton of money. Me not so much, but sometimes I actually do good yet she always seems unsupportive when I get a great deal :( Ralphs has the Dorritos Dinamatas on sale. They're normally $5.59 a bag, they have them on sale for $2.28 each when you buy 4. And Dorritos has a coupon for buy 2 get 2 free. So I bought 8 and got 4 for free. I paid $18.24 for 12 bags of chips which would normally been around $70. I feel like I killed it yet, yet all she could say was "what the hell, did you reeeeeally buy 12 bags of chips?" I got them for half price AND 4 free bags all she's gonna focus on is why there are a dozen bags in the pantry.

I explained to her I wanted to buy more but Ralphs only had 2 coupons or I'd have 24 bags. Then I told her I'm about to go to the other location and see if I find some more coupons and score 12 more bags lol.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
My sister just sent pics of her newly updated living room. She nailed the 60s Mod look. The trouble is that I don’t know if that was intentional so I don’t know if I should compliment her accomplishment.

• Haha

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
My lady's a good shopper and always saves a ton of money. Me not so much, but sometimes I actually do good yet she always seems unsupportive when I get a great deal :( Ralphs has the Dorritos Dinamatas on sale. They're normally $5.59 a bag, they have them on sale for $2.28 each when you buy 4. And Dorritos has a coupon for buy 2 get 2 free. So I bought 8 and got 4 for free. I paid $18.24 for 12 bags of chips which would normally been around $70. I feel like I killed it yet, yet all she could say was "what the hell, did you reeeeeally buy 12 bags of chips?" I got them for half price AND 4 free bags all she's gonna focus on is why there are a dozen bags in the pantry.

I explained to her I wanted to buy more but Ralphs only had 2 coupons or I'd have 24 bags. Then I told her I'm about to go to the other location and see if I find some more coupons and score 12 more bags lol.
Oh, shit, @VirtualLarry is on to you. RIP.

• Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Had to spend a little under $800 on my truck today, and the next repair is going to be around that too.

First one is the damper that controls hot/cold. Been an issue for a while but basically can't crank it to full cold or full hot, that means in summer I don't get all the heat and in summer the AC. I just caved and got it fixed. The next thing is the oil dipstick, the tube is broken so can't get the stick out to check oil. May need to remove the manifold for that which could turn into a big job. But will get that done next week when part comes in.

I'm going to try to keep this truck at least until the mortgage is paid off so figured I may as well fix stuff that has been annoying me. Still cheaper to spend a grand here and there than to make payments every month. Been a few years since I had to spend anything on this truck.