What first world problem did you have today?

Page 1060 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The issue is there is a weird trend of Molex to Sata cables failing. I don't understand the science behind it considering the small power draw, and especially because they're failing at the sata end and not molex so the molex part is not even in the picture. But if you look it up everybody basically says not to use those adapters and there are lot of cases to prove it. They basically melt right at the hard drive.

I found some sata connectors with bare wires on Digikey and I could run power to those from my own source, but I don't know if that will be any better because it's the sata part itself that fails in these setups. Not sure what is the difference between the stock connectors that come with the PSU and the after market ones. Maybe they have some kind of sense line going back to the PSU to regulate current better?
Well there are all sorts of shoddy cable, that is most likely the cause.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Not really my FWP but someone dropped their phone outside on the street today in the middle of the snow storm and only realized after they got home so it's probably been picked up by shovels/plows by now. It's a white phone.

Good luck with that one! lol.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I just got BSODed. I think it has been at least fifteen years since I've gotten one.

The other day my work computer locked right up, cursor, clock, and all. Been a long time since I had that happen! Scary part is I don't know what caused it so it could happen again.

Speaking of my work PC I'm exporting some email to a PST file since my mailbox is almost full and Microsoft is being Microsoft. It says 4 hours, 3 hours, 2 hours 1 hour, 10 minutes, 9 minutes, 10 hours... They've never been good at estimating progress of an operation lol.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Effing nuts. It's a FUCKING BIKE.
I'm not sure what the problem is with bikes exactly here?

7k is on the super high end price range, but 2k is pretty normal to start entering good bike territory. But I bet that would still make you raise your eyebrows? Just like any mechanical device, there are many characteristics of such a device that can be improved for better performance. Of course there is a price to performance ratio and diminishing returns, but 2-3k is pretty normal for bikes that are above consumer grade entry level and for true hobbyists that are looking for higher performance. The materials get higher quality, the components, such as the gears and the brakes (going to a good hydraulic brake for example). Weight is a big factor while still being durable. Of course one can become a weight weenie, but that's with every chasing the dragon hobby. There is a good reason to save weight up to a point. Different materials can transfer ground vibrations and shock differently, etc... Tons of things.

It's actually a super efficient device compared to energy expended vs distance traveled among all ways to travel we have now. It's also an amazing way to do things like explore, from cities to mountains, to commute, to get exercise with, to have a nice group activity with.

Bikes are actually amazing.

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
<sigh>

I got a call today from a person whose dad left him and his siblings a bunch of mining claims as part of the estate. The caller wanted to figure out how much each claim was worth so they could be divvied up fairly. The father had abandoned the claims decades ago so each child gets diddle ÷ squat. "But… but… dad…", nope, nada. Cherish the memories because that's all that's left.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If you do have claims you are also required to service them at certain intervals. That means going on site, getting samples, sending to a lab, filling paperwork etc. Otherwise they go back to the crown. Could be something fun to do but it also comes with costs so may be easier to just let the claims expire.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I worked on a bridge about ¼ mile from the sawshop I go to, and the creek was known to have gold. Strange for around here I think, but it would be pretty cool panning for gold old school style. Probably wouldn't get much, but any day on a creek is a good day. Too far for me to go to sit by a creek though.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
@lxskllr looking for a handle for the old 472 ball peen head, 15.5". Is there a standard size/fit that I can just order? Doubt there is but sure would be nice. TIA

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I just realized I got blocked on Twitter by Theo Fleury (yes, the hockey player) which I found strange as I always agreed with what he had to say and never really interacted negatively with him. I was curious so looked more into it and it seems he's one of those PPC supporters that gets really butthurt if you say anything even slightly negative against that party such as saying they don't stand a chance to win. Guess I must have said that at some point so he blocked me.

Social media is SRS business.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I just realized I got blocked on Twitter by Theo Fleury (yes, the hockey player) which I found strange as I always agreed with what he had to say and never really interacted negatively with him. I was curious so looked more into it and it seems he's one of those PPC supporters that gets really butthurt if you say anything even slightly negative against that party such as saying they don't stand a chance to win. Guess I must have said that at some point so he blocked me.

Social media is SRS business.
What's hockey?

;)

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
We were awaken this morning to the sound of a cat screaming in rage, absolutely insane with anger. I went into the living room to figure out who was disemboweling whom and there one of the cats was screaming her head off. The other cats weren't anywhere near her. She was super pissed. I talked to her for awhile and she sort of calmed down but wouldn't let me near her. We tried giving her kibbles and she ate those but was still poofy-tailed and shaking. We kept an eye on her for a bit when my wife spied something shiny in her mouth. The cat had eaten a sewing needle and thread, and the needle was stuck in her mouth. We pinned her down and removed the needle, pulling about a foot of thread out of her throat. She was fine after that. We can't see that she perforated anything important.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Ordered a few items on-line over the last month, and, for technical reasons too tedious to go into, plus an increasingly terrible memory that means I struggle to remember what I've been doing recently, simply cannot work out if they all arrived or not.

The delivery information on-line makes no sense (things listed as arriving on days I'm certain they can't have arrived on, and the items I thought _did_ arrive are listed as _not_ having arrived and "may be lost"). Can't tell if I have the items because it would mean dismantling things I don't want to dismantle (my memory is too crap to remember what I did when I mantled them in the first place).

Furthermore I've found repeatedly the delivery guys have a completely infuriating habit of leaving things stuck half-in and half-out of the letter box, which means I'm constantly worried things have been stolen by my thieving neighbours.

Can't work out whether to complain about things not being delivered or not.

I really need to start keeping physical records of things like this, writing down when things get delivered.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
That's how my company is, you can never reuse the same password. It's a pita since everything expires at different rates so it makes it hard to make things sync with each other. I try to keep the same itteration for each system. Some systems require 12 characters, some require 8, etc so I have different versions of the same password and I just make a small change to it.

The one that requires 12 characters is the most strict. Can't have dictionary words, or sequences of characters either, like qw or 12 or ab is not allowed because they are sequences, either on the keyboard or in alphabet/numbers. Also can't have the same character twice like aa etc. What I do is for numbers I just alternate the shift key so if I want to do 123 it's 1@3. That seems to work. The only GOOD thing is that one only expires once a year.

God, I remember having that problem. Including the issue of having multiple passwords for different systems that all 'expired' on different cycles, so that every few days it seemed one password or other had to be changed, plus whatever I came up with it would invariably complain that I'd used that password before.

Was constantly having to ask the system manager guys to reset my password because I couldn't remember what it was. In the end just took to writing them down on bit of paper in the desk, which potentially destroyed the whole point of the things. I think that's a common outcome of having overly-demanding 'rules' for passwords.

Reactions: igor_kavinski