What first world problem did you have today?

Page 1015 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
My main computer's monitor died (the Gigabyte in my sig). On a good note, there are 2 months of warranty left on it. Will have to survive on laptop and phone until they either fix or replace it.
Nearly a month later, a replacement is finally being shipped. In the meantime, I broke down a couple of weeks ago and bought a cheap Dell to get me by. At least they're honoring the warranty...

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
Got sent a bottle of 60 capsules, even though I ordered a bottle of 120 capsules. It's not that the bottle was partly empty, it's just the smaller size.

I'll need either half my money back, or the seller to send me a free bottle. We'll see.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
TV Shopping and I can't decide for the life of me if I should get the 65" or 75" model. This is really starting to stress me out.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'd go with the biggest that will fit in that spot. Assuming you can physically get it there. I remember even my 55" being super awkward to move around I can't imagine a 75 lol. I ended up having to call someone for help. It's too awkward to grab it and lift it up on the stand while also being careful not to damage it.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
What's to decide? Bigger is better.

This is going in a 10x13 bedroom though and I'm not sure how it will fit because I'm also getting a center channel and speakers so I can turn my bedroom into the budget matinee. Putting a big tv + receiver + speakers + a big sub in this bedroom probably isn't one of my better ideas. I wasn't even thinking about getting a TV until I saw the new TCL QM8 MiniLED 75" for $1799, which seems insane. I hadn't priced TV's in years so I had no idea they had gotten so cheap.

Oh yeah and there's my GF who thinks the 55" I have in here now is already crazy for a bedroom. She had a slightly bigger room and a 32" mounted on the wall. Watching TV in her room with the bed 14 damn feet away from the TV's terrible lol. Even after I explained viewing distance to her she just doesn't get it.

I'm sure I'll end up going with the 75" and figuring out how to make everything fit after, that's the American way. I did at least do some research, and the THX distance calculator told me 75" from 9 feet would be great. And according to their expertise, 85" would be near perfect, but I think 75" is plenty big.

And with there being a door on the 10-foot wall I'm mounting it on, I'm not sure an 85" would fit lol. I did try to measure but my Harbor Freight measuring tape is the absolute worst so I can't get proper wall dimensions.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Lol meanwhile I'm looking to replace my 65" plasma with a 77" OLED that costs $3k

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Forgot to add the plasma only cost me $700, got it when they were discontinued and it's a "dumb" tv. Wish you could still get those, Dont really need any "smart" features tvs come with.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My wifi was acting up this morning and my phone was refusing to connect to it. I had to reset the access point to get it to work. This is a commercial solution, I shouldn't have to do that! I don't actually remember the last time that had to be done actually, I should have checked the uptime on it, was probably like 1,000+ days. The controller is at 1,823.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
LoL 65" is too big for that room and you want to fit a 75"?

Welp THX says otherwise, for the distance we'll be from the screen in here, they recommend an 85" and say a 75" would be the next best size for viewing. I mean the TV will be mounted on the wall, it's not like it's going to take up valuable space.

I have a 55" and it's definitely too small, we watch at about 9.5 feet away and subtitles are really hard to impossible to read on most movies. Let me ask you, is there any difference between a living room and a bedroom? I mean aside from the bed of course. I looked up a dozen different room-size calculators for TV's and almost every one recommended a 85" from a 9.5 foot viewing distance.

Will it look huge on the wall? Probably, but it'll also provide the most immersive movie experience. On the flip side not a single one of the sites recommended 55" (and I totally agree) There are a ton of people on avsforums who have 85" tv's in rooms even smaller than this.

Your girlfriend sounds sensible. You should listen to her.

Sensible? Her 32" TV's 14 feet away from her bed (where she watches) THX recommends 4 feet for a 32". She knows absolutely nothing about audio or video. She thinks it's gonna be too big because of her complete lack of understanding, I showed her 8 different sites that said the same thing I told her, yet she still thinks I should get a 32" If I listen to her I might as well not even have a TV, watching shit on a 32" from almost 10 feet away will further wreck my already bad vision.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019
We used to watch a 25" console CRT from that distance. I had a 30" flat screen in a bedroom that was more than big enough.

Have you considered the power draw? I have a 37" LCD flat screen now mounted on a wall behind a picture since I so rarely turn it on. Tried it with a KillaWatt device and it pulled a full 80w just on stand by, no other activity or sound. That's more than most of the lights in the house total.

Jul 27, 2020
Will it look huge on the wall? Probably, but it'll also provide the most immersive movie experience.
Why not a decent LED projector? Then you can go bigger than 85 inch even. Also not a headache if you have to move. A huge TV will not be easy to move to a different room, especially if the newer room is smaller. It kinda screws you in different ways unless you own a house.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
We used to watch a 25" console CRT from that distance. I had a 30" flat screen in a bedroom that was more than big enough.

Have you considered the power draw? I have a 37" LCD flat screen now mounted on a wall behind a picture since I so rarely turn it on. Tried it with a KillaWatt device and it pulled a full 80w just on stand by, no other activity or sound. That's more than most of the lights in the house total.

power draw will be about $26 a year. And unless you have superhuman vision you're not reading subtitles and seeing detail on a 30" from 10 feet away. And that would lead to absolutely terrible eye strain. The recommended viewing distance for a 37" is 5 feet for watching movies. I will be basically 2x further than that. eye stain and headaches and shit from watching a movie isn't fun. If that's th case, we might as well just watch movies in bed on a Tablet.

Why not a decent LED projector? Then you can go bigger than 85 inch even. Also not a headache if you have to move. A huge TV will not be easy to move to a different room, especially if the newer room is smaller. It kinda screws you in different ways unless you own a house.

I looked at projectors, to get something comparable to this TV I'd have to spend 3x as much. Also, that requires drilling in the ceiling and fiddling with a bunch of shit to get it right. The plus is you can make it any size you want, but I talked to a bunch of home theater guys on avsforums and 65-75" is all I need. So I'm deciding between the 2 and will just get a much cheaper TV. The TCL looks almost as good as Sony OLED sets that are over twice as expensive.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
power draw will be about $26 a year. And unless you have superhuman vision you're not reading subtitles and seeing detail on a 30" from 10 feet away. And that would lead to absolutely terrible eye strain. The recommended viewing distance for a 37" is 5 feet for watching movies. I will be basically 2x further than that. eye stain and headaches and shit from watching a movie isn't fun. If that's th case, we might as well just watch movies in bed on a Tablet.
Somehow, we managed.

1688949861023.png

Reactions: lxskllr
Nov 17, 2019
When I watched TV, I watched TV and listed to the sound/dialog. If I wanted to read, I'd grab a book or a newspaper or magazine. I didn't watch TV to read teeney letters scrolling across the bottom.

In fact, all that miscellaneous junk plastered on various parts of the screen is one of the main reasons I stopped watching TV at all.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
TVs are cheap enough now days I wouldn't even bother moving it if it's a wall mount, it would just come with the house. Excuse to buy a newer TV when that time comes. Who knows what newer tech could be available by then anyway.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Somehow, we managed.
Well to be fair, a 24" tv in the 80's was the biggest you could buy unless you were a million air. In 2000 or some year around there, I spend $2700 on a 36" Sony Wega, and it was on a huge discount. Most people I knew had a 25" TV or smaller. If TV's the size we have today at the prices were available back then that graph would look totally different. I had a neighbor in the late 80's who has one of those 3 bulb projector TV's. It was 40 inches cost him like $28k.

Up until 96 on that graph 19-20" sets were #1. Also content was 480p. You can't even buy a 20" tv anymore. Using that graph I could also say a 386 33mhz computer should be all we need. I survived with a 12" monochrome monitor back then. But it doesn't mean I'd want to do that shit today. And I'm glad I don't have to use a 33mhz computer anymore. Technological advances are beautiful.

Also watching TV on a 24" tv was awful, that's why a lot of parents had to tell their kids to not sit so close to the TV. Because we would sit on the carpet 2 feet away from it so we could see lol. I just looked up current data, 55" is the average size bought today. I suspect as the prices fall that number will go up.

Also back then, just about everyone in my family smoked, and all restaurants had smoking sections.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
My tv's a 20" computer monitor. I'd like to get something bigger; maybe 27", but this still works, and I'll use it til it doesn't.