What first world problem did you have today?

Page 1014 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
$460 to fix an old ass phone. I can appreciate reducing Etrash, but you still have an old ass phone with a $460 screen, and everything else aging into obsolescence.
I didn't pay $460 to have it fixed. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That "old" 2021 phone is my backup. Current phone is a Samsung S23 Ultra 512GB.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Now the major supermarket chains seem to have achieved a near-monopoly (an oligopoly, I guess - and a monopoly from the point-of-view of anyone limited to the only supermarket within walking distance) they seem to have decided they can start offering a crap service.

Mine (as have many of them, it seems) has done away with all its staffed checkouts, offering self-service only (so you have to scan everything and bag it yourself) and next they are apparently planning to make it so you can't leave the shop without scanning your receipt, in order to cut down on the increased theft that such self-service-only shops suffer from. They also keep rearranging everything so you can never find the things you want without wandering around for hours (and you never see a single staff member to ask). Took me hours last time to find the items I wanted, then had all the hassle of scanning them myself.

There's not even any staff supervising the self-service tills, and you have to try and work out which ones are available and functional yourself.

Next step, presumably, will be they'll expect the customer to unload the lorries that deliver the stock, and handle all the shelving and cleaning as well.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Now the major supermarket chains seem to have achieved a near-monopoly (an oligopoly, I guess - and a monopoly from the point-of-view of anyone limited to the only supermarket within walking distance) they seem to have decided they can start offering a crap service.

Mine (as have many of them, it seems) has done away with all its staffed checkouts, offering self-service only (so you have to scan everything and bag it yourself) and next they are apparently planning to make it so you can't leave the shop without scanning your receipt, in order to cut down on the increased theft that such self-service-only shops suffer from. They also keep rearranging everything so you can never find the things you want without wandering around for hours (and you never see a single staff member to ask). Took me hours last time to find the items I wanted, then had all the hassle of scanning them myself.

There's not even any staff supervising the self-service tills, and you have to try and work out which ones are available and functional yourself.

Next step, presumably, will be they'll expect the customer to unload the lorries that deliver the stock, and handle all the shelving and cleaning as well.
When it's self checkout you can ring up all your produce as bananas and save a ton of money.

• Haha

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I tried to log in on an old account, and got this captcha:

buses.png

It asked me to do another captcha, and was convinced I was a human.

It then required me to reset my password. the e-mail didn't arrive in Thunderbird (I run POP only), so I went to log in on email for an old account I barely use.

That system asked me to do a captcha.

It then insisted on sending a code to another e-mail account.

Grrrrrrr.

Also, Yahoo junked it's own "was this you" e-mail.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
When it's self checkout you can ring up all your produce as bananas and save a ton of money.
Apparently many people do just that, and shoplifting has shot up since they introduced all the self-service tills (though perhaps it's also due to the cost-of-living crisis). It has actually crossed my mind - all the articles I see about how easy and widespread shoplifting is now, kind of put the idea in your head - but I'm far too nervous/scared of the concequences of getting caught at something like that - feels like there's much more to lose than gain.

That's why they are now introducing special gates that won't let you out till you've scanned your receipts. They are also talking about cameras with AI to recognise 'bananas'. There's really no lengths they won't go to to avoid having to actually employ and pay humans. Pretty soon there will be no jobs in the retail sector at all.

Jul 27, 2020
Pretty soon there will be no jobs in the retail sector at all.
Human population increases, then war, famine and other population control measures come into effect. That's why I personally think that no one should be free to have a baby. They MUST be evaluated for fitness, in areas like survival skills, employability, contributions to society, general behavior, minimum required IQ etc. Kinda like they do in the series Silo. It's the only sane way, to prevent retards having even worse kids that go on to destroy society from within. Like these days, a single retard can walk into a mall and open fire on hundreds of innocent people and end their lives. We can be so much better as a species if we are only more active in weeding out the bad ones among us. You don't deserve to live if you are a threat to someone else.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Heard a clanking noise while turning a few days ago. Looked at my wheel and saw my CV axle decided to spit grease everywhere. Ugh.

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
I got sent the original 1994 recording of Under the Table and Dreaming - not the remastered 2014 copy I expected.

What a waste of money. I already have the 3 tracks I care most about on this album. :(

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Got severe weather here. Trying to read the National Weather Service Twitter but apparently you now need to be a member of Twitter in order to view any tweets.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Apparently some bots are aggressively scraping Twitter and Elon had a bit of a knee jerk reaction. There's a limit of how many tweets per day you can view, and if you're not signed in you can't view anything. It's apparently temporary. Seems to me he should just leverage AI to detect scraping vs regular activity. I'm sure he has people that know a lot about AI who could work on that. I have not run into the limits myself but saw others say they did.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Apparently some bots are aggressively scraping Twitter and Elon had a bit of a knee jerk reaction. There's a limit of how many tweets per day you can view, and if you're not signed in you can't view anything. It's apparently temporary. Seems to me he should just leverage AI to detect scraping vs regular activity. I'm sure he has people that know a lot about AI who could work on that. I have not run into the limits myself but saw others say they did.

He doesn't have a lot of people. He got rid of them. And the slow down is self inflicted.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
That's the cover story. A lot of people think it's because he hasn't been paying for hosting. Training AI is one reason to scrape twitter. That's what everyone's excited about right now. They want to get on some free money, and think training sets will do it.

The government shouldn't be using private infrastructure for public notifications. Now's the perfect time to setup a mastodon instance, and use that for governmental notifications.

Jul 27, 2020
What is the purpose of bots scraping Twitter?
Some people, particularly those running news or tech websites, want to have the latest bits of juicy info at their fingertips. Much easier to see it presented in their preferred format, rather than have to find it on Twitter or get bugged to login. They can specify keywords to watch out for that way. There might even be websites offering that service.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
NWS has their own sites. No need to feed the Big Giant Twit.
I wasn't seeing any statements about the storm on the NWS website. Then I got a notification on my weather app 20 minutes after the NWS made a statement about the storm. By that point it had already passed over me. I knew it was a very strong storm and NWS would issue guidance on it but I never saw the guidance on the website. Was thinking maybe they tweeted about it but I couldn't see.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That's the cover story. A lot of people think it's because he hasn't been paying for hosting. Training AI is one reason to scrape twitter. That's what everyone's excited about right now. They want to get on some free money, and think training sets will do it.

The government shouldn't be using private infrastructure for public notifications. Now's the perfect time to setup a mastodon instance, and use that for governmental notifications.

Apparently they have about 500k servers which works out to around 1000 users per server if you were to average it all out. That seems... very inefficient. Wonder if he's actually reducing that without actually making things more efficient. Just loading the home page generates about 200 calls. :eek:

Seems to me there is a lot of overhead involved for what should be a relatively simple site. Building stuff to scale will always have some overhead to handle clustering, making sure everything is atomic etc, but still need to optimize it as best as possible or it grows out of control.

The way Mastodon does it sounds interesting, looked it up real quick a while back. Might setup an instance at some point.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
What is the tech powering Reddit? PHP?
For these kind of sites I'm pretty sure it's compiled language like C++ served by a reverse proxy, though I could see php being used for some parts too. There's lot of hip and trendy javascript stuff like node.js that can be done even server side now too so maybe they use that, which is probably part of why they're so bloated in first place. :p

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My sister sometimes sends Tiktok links and you have to do a captcha every time, so I decided to give in and make an account.

Holy crap that site is a piece of hot garbage. I went through the process of making the account then it tells me to download an app, there is no way past that screen. So I cancel out thinking it's some kind of gimmick and try to login, and it says my account doesn't exist, literally after creating it. I think they actually want you to use the app only. Yeah not touching that crap. It was bad enough that I even gave in to making an account lol. For whatever reasons videos don't play on this computer unless I open a private tab, so I was thinking making the account would fix that too. Yeah I don't want in that badly. I tried. :p

With all that done now my email address is on some CCP server.

Nov 17, 2019
YT?

Johnny 5 from Trimark's Short Circuit

No YT.

NOOOOOO YT!!!!!!

• Haha

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I spent like 2 hours looking thru paint colors on Lowe's website, I found 1 I liked and added it to my cart. I went back to my cart to write down the name, and it didn't save the fucking color. I wanted to compare it to a few others I found but I don't remember what its name was so now I can't. I remember it was blue but they have a shit load of blues so I gotta look thru them and hope I remember which it was. I HATE Lowe's website. I hate Lowe's too now I think about it.

1stworldproblem question, I know everybody here's rich, but pretend you weren't and had a roommate who painted his room and bedroom door a very blue color would you be upset? The room they never see the inside so who cares, but the door will definitely stick out like a sore thumb lol. The other 2 people here have boring ass white doors like most people. And since I'm going to paint the room blue, I thought maybe I should paint the door blue too.

Last edited: