What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 124 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikatone

Jun 24, 2020
I tried with a e5 2620v3 with One of my z10pa d8 and all goes well..
So the cpu under strees up ti 3.2 GHz.... Only a thing ,why does the RAM recognize ti 1833 instead 2133???? Is there some option to set this valute?
Hi, I'm using the exact same motherboard and CPU's! I was able to backup BIOS and flash it without EPROM programmer with help of afudos and free dos.
I've removed the microcode and injected driver v3_payne_0_0.ffs diabled CPU C6 report but unfortunately I can't go above 2.59Ghz. What am I missing?

Scan409

May 13, 2020
Hi, I'm using the exact same motherboard and CPU's! I was able to backup BIOS and flash it without EPROM programmer with help of afudos and free dos.
I've removed the microcode and injected driver v3_payne_0_0.ffs diabled CPU C6 report but unfortunately I can't go above 2.59Ghz. What am I missing?

For some reason, the ffs driver doesn't work on dual socket motherboards. So dual socket motherboards need to manually inject the EFI driver with EFI Shell.

phyrexiancure

Feb 8, 2020
Has any one been working on making a easy guide to turbo mod the x99 bios. I found one a while ago for a bunch of brands but have since forgot where to find it, and I still dont know of any for brands like my msi board . I was lucky scan409 had spotted my request for a bios/guide and modded one for my msi board. But ya it would be good for the community if they had a easy to find comprehensive guide.

cjcurwen

Jul 15, 2020
evening everyone.

I've been having a hard time modifying my bios on my MSI X99 Gaming Ack 9 mobo

I'm trying to do the V3 turbo unlock mod but everytime I upload the modified BIOS the mobo , it won't post and hangs with a 92 code then I'm forced to put the original BIOS back on.

is anyone able to assist or provide me a BIOS file please. I guess there is some sort of verification or whatever that's on this mobo which is a tad frustrating.

if I try flash via the MSI flash tool it doesn't even detect the modded bios which leads me to the conclusion there is some form of verification check.

thanks and kind regards

Last edited:

Scan409

May 13, 2020
evening everyone.

I've been having a hard time modifying my bios on my MSI X99 Gaming Ack 9 mobo

I'm trying to do the V3 turbo unlock mod but everytime I upload the modified BIOS the mobo , it won't post and hangs with a 92 code then I'm forced to put the original BIOS back on.

is anyone able to assist or provide me a BIOS file please. I guess there is some sort of verification or whatever that's on this mobo which is a tad frustrating.

if I try flash via the MSI flash tool it doesn't even detect the modded bios which leads me to the conclusion there is some form of verification check.

thanks and kind regards

Error code 92 is "PCI Bus initialization"

What is your system specification?

CPU / Graphics / current BIOS Version

Scan409

May 13, 2020
Has any one been working on making a easy guide to turbo mod the x99 bios. I found one a while ago for a bunch of brands but have since forgot where to find it, and I still dont know of any for brands like my msi board . I was lucky scan409 had spotted my request for a bios/guide and modded one for my msi board. But ya it would be good for the community if they had a easy to find comprehensive guide.

I recommend Miyconst who reviews Chinese X99 motherboard and easy guide to turbo mod.

cjcurwen

Jul 15, 2020
I recommend Miyconst who reviews Chinese X99 motherboard and easy guide to turbo mod.

but the Chinese boards tend not to have blk over clock.
and there bios tends to not be as complex as the msi Ami uefi bios.
think I've watched all the you tube channels on this lol
uefibios modding tools and sites say x99 not supported but this thread has some on MSI and Asus boards...

worst case I'll buy a Chinese board.. thanks I suppose.

cjcurwen

Jul 15, 2020
actually figured it out.
because my bio files are. 360 instead of. bin
that fixed it.. now I have 3ghz on 18 cores xD

Last edited:

Lunacy20BFD

Jul 24, 2020
Its very easy to mod bios yourself. I also downloaded pre-modded bios from that baidu link, but there was no difference between my own created modded BIOS. I am running this BIOS mod on Gigabyte X99 gaming 5p and Asus Z10PE D16WS (dual 2686v3)

Hi my audio workstation computer I built is running an Asus Z10PE D16WS with dual 2683v3 and I would love to have the mods to enable a constant higher clock frequency.

May you be so kind to assist me with the above?

best regards

Reactions: Bl@Ze

Bl@Ze

Aug 17, 2017
Hello guys.

I bought now 2x Intel Xeon E5-2699 v3 and want to ask, if any of you have an bios file for decent turbo mode OC for the Asus Z10PE-D16 WS and actually / last bios version...

I don't want to use bclk OC, because of an unstable system (I think the RDIMMs doesn't support bclk OC)...

For cooling I use 2x SilverStone Tundra Slim v2 120 liquid cooling.
I use Windows 10 1908 inclusive secure boot.

I am a newbie and want to ask for instructions too.

Lunacy20BFD

Jul 24, 2020
Hey, guys. Recently unlocked turbobust on Windows 10, asus z10pe d16ws motherboard, two 2696 V3 processors. Now I need to unlock the turbo boost for the Ubuntu 18.04 lts system. How do I do this ? I am particularly interested in how to upload the processor microcode to Ubuntu? Tell me please.

Hi @Roshik I have the same z10pe d16ws motherboard with dual oem 2683 v3 running windows 10, may you be so kind to share with me to unlock my pc please?
Best regards

Lunacy20BFD

Jul 24, 2020
Okay, so I got it running, I'm using v3x2_50_39_vcc
Dual 2683V3 C3&C6 Disabled, Cinebench score 3700, but I had to use High-Powered-Scheme, in balanced the score was "only" 3400, which is still resonable.

Is there a efi file, for better overall performances in balanced mode?

Also, I would like to make my own contribution. I searched the 50 post for all the usable efi and bios files for z10ped16ws that I could find.

I have them hosted here https://skydrev.org/index.php/s/5rvI5pVwddsXLZT
password is anandtech.

Maybe I should clean that folder, so it's more user friendly.

It would be cool, if the original modder of Z10PE-D16 WS made a new modded bios without microcodes from the newest available bios 3407.

Hi @moblaw may you be so kind to share the files Again?, I have the same motherboard and CPUs running windows 10.
Best regards

Reactions: Bl@Ze

NoseyTable

Jul 28, 2020
Hey guys!

Has anyone done this with a Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5P who'd be willing to help a guy out? I'm terrified of bricking this board.
I have a Xeon E5-2630 V3 for now, waiting for a 2680 V3. Please?

NoseyTable

Jul 28, 2020
You're stuck at BIOS flashing step only. Once you finish this. Next steps are super easy if you follow my guide.
I am 100% sure that BIOS file which i gave you will work and it doesn't have any errors.

Would you please be able to help me with the Gigabyte X99 Gaming P5? I know its been a while since you posted this, but I'm struggling.
1595947865902.png

Scan409

May 13, 2020
Would you please be able to help me with the Gigabyte X99 Gaming P5? I know its been a while since you posted this, but I'm struggling.
View attachment 26961

I AM NOT RESPONSABLE IN ANYWAY IF THIS DAMAGES YOUR MOTHERBOARD

Here is the mod
MUST USE efiflash 0.65_mod or 0.80_mod in DOS (DO NOT USE efiflash in mb_bios_ga-x99-gaming5p_f24c.zip)

ex) efiflash.exe X99G5P.24c

MOF_V3_705050 ffs + 306F2 mCode removed + Disabled C6 State(in IntelRCSetup)

How to make Bootable FreeDOS USB :
Rufus : https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html

GIGABYTE X99-Gaming 5P : https://drive.google.com/file/d/12rUEdeKGNTyT3u7d3zQXMBTfI_MNzV4J/
efiflash 0.65 mod : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jLAeWdsvIOPx5HCQvjIGb9vfPReKyLRl/
efiflash 0.80 mod : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fQizIvfRjGbAnsN-HCZZ-iC-DyCEqZA8/

Last edited:

Scan409

May 13, 2020
Hello guys.

I bought now 2x Intel Xeon E5-2699 v3 and want to ask, if any of you have an bios file for decent turbo mode OC for the Asus Z10PE-D16 WS and actually / last bios version...

I don't want to use bclk OC, because of an unstable system (I think the RDIMMs doesn't support bclk OC)...

For cooling I use 2x SilverStone Tundra Slim v2 120 liquid cooling.
I use Windows 10 1908 inclusive secure boot.

I am a newbie and want to ask for instructions too.
Hi @Roshik I have the same z10pe d16ws motherboard with dual oem 2683 v3 running windows 10, may you be so kind to share with me to unlock my pc please?
Best regards

*IMPORTANT* I AM NOT RESPONSABLE IN ANYWAY IF THIS DAMAGES YOUR MOTHERBOARD

Here is the mod

For some reason, the ffs driver doesn't work on dual socket motherboards. So dual socket motherboards need to manually inject the EFI driver with EFI Shell.
- Check this Guide for manually inject EFI Driver : http://www.miyconst.com/Blog/View/2081/xeon-e5-2600-v3-turbo-boost-unlock
- Use this efi driver :
https://github.com/freecableguy/v3x4/releases/download/v3x4-0.10b-i306f2-rc9/v3x4-0.10b-i306f2-rc9.efi

At the overclockers.ru forum, a user created a new EFI driver. Driver injection through EFI Shell is no longer needed.

*IMPORTANT* [Win-Raid Forum] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS : https://www.win-raid.com/t455f16-Guide-How-to-flash-a-modded-AMI-UEFI-BIOS.html
- Check Guide for ASUS mainboards "B. Methods for ASUS mainboards without USB Flashback support, Using the AMI tool AFUWIN "

306F2 mCode removed + Disabled C6 State(in IntelRCSetup) + S3TurboTool DXE (-50/-50/-50) EFI Driver inject.

If System hang in Boot screen, You must be disabled C6 State in BIOS

Z10PE-D16-WS-ASUS-4101.CAP : Original
Z10PE-D16-WS-ASUS-4101.rom : Modded

Z10PE-D16 WS BIOS (updated 2021-04-19) : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RvHa9beoneCeWTWpmGyfBBvoHGcjnXW1

Last edited:

Lunacy20BFD

Jul 24, 2020
Hi,

Thank you so much for this!!

I was able to load the modded bios you kindly provided using AFUWIN64 within windows 10 64bit.
I then reset the computer and went into the bios screen and disable C3 and C6 and saved and reset back into windows.
I then check if the all cores are running at turbo clock frequency which unfortunately they are not, it Is still only running at standard clock frequency around 2ghz instead of the 3ghz turboclock frequency.

I am not sure what to?

Scan409

May 13, 2020
Hi,

Thank you so much for this!!

I was able to load the modded bios you kindly provided using AFUWIN64 within windows 10 64bit.
I then reset the computer and went into the bios screen and disable C3 and C6 and saved and reset back into windows.
I then check if the all cores are running at turbo clock frequency which unfortunately they are not, it Is still only running at standard clock frequency around 2ghz instead of the 3ghz turboclock frequency.

I am not sure what to?

After flash the Bios, You manually inject the EFI driver with EFI Shell.
- Check this Guide for manually inject EFI Driver : http://www.miyconst.com/Blog/View/2081/xeon-e5-2600-v3-turbo-boost-unlock
- Use this EFI driver : https://github.com/freecableguy/v3x...x4-0.10b-i306f2-rc9/v3x4-0.10b-i306f2-rc9.efi

Lunacy20BFD

Jul 24, 2020

Attachments

• 77BA35F2-C910-493E-9331-F71164D7C6B7.jpeg
    77BA35F2-C910-493E-9331-F71164D7C6B7.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 28

Amazo

Aug 20, 2020
I am really sorry to post this here, it is not directly related to the topic, but I hope someone would guide me.

I have a very weird problem with my dual X99/C612 motherboards and the only related topic I found in internet was this one:

I have exactly the same problem that guy was facing. Every other piece (power supply, memories, cpus, video card, etc) are working 100%. Both motherboards work 100% with 1 Xeon V3, with 2 Xeons V3 and with 1 Xeon V4 but they stop with code 79 when I put a second Xeon V4 (yes, both cpus are 'identical', tested with 2 x 2640v4, 2 x 4650v4)

I saw comments in Russian youtube videos (translated) that most dual cpu motherboards that are not from Dell or HP do not work with 2 v4 CPUs and that a biosmod with AMIBCP5, mmtool_a5 and UEFITool is needed to make any other motherboard pass this 79 code with dual v4 Xeons.

So I was wondering if anyone here may have this knowledge or point me to someone who can help me.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
I am really sorry to post this here, it is not directly related to the topic, but I hope someone would guide me.

I have a very weird problem with my dual X99/C612 motherboards and the only related topic I found in internet was this one:

I have exactly the same problem that guy was facing. Every other piece (power supply, memories, cpus, video card, etc) are working 100%. Both motherboards work 100% with 1 Xeon V3, with 2 Xeons V3 and with 1 Xeon V4 but they stop with code 79 when I put a second Xeon V4 (yes, both cpus are 'identical', tested with 2 x 2640v4, 2 x 4650v4)

I saw comments in Russian youtube videos (translated) that most dual cpu motherboards that are not from Dell or HP do not work with 2 v4 CPUs and that a biosmod with AMIBCP5, mmtool_a5 and UEFITool is needed to make any other motherboard pass this 79 code with dual v4 Xeons.

So I was wondering if anyone here may have this knowledge or point me to someone who can help me.
More info would be needed.
Motherboard Make/Model ?
What BIOS revision ?
Are CPUs ES, QS, or Production ?
What model # are CPUs ?
What memory, make model and # ?
All of that matters.

Bl@Ze

Aug 17, 2017

That's regularly not right.
With my Asus Z10PE-D16 WS doesn't have any problem to boot with 2x Intel Xeon E5-2699 v3 or 2x Intel Xeon E5-2699C v4 (no QS or ES CPUs).

Maybe u have QS or ES CPUs?
Or maybe it's simple like an too old bios firmware version of your not specified motherboard?

Last edited:

opivy224

Aug 27, 2020
Hello guys, I have a Gigabyte X99-UD3P-CF motherboard and a Xeon engineering sample with 14core 2.5ghz and 35mb l2 cache, stepping 1. Am I able to do a turbo unlock with these? I'm pretty sure I can't, and if that's the case, could someone recommend a similar CPU that will allow me to? I was looking at maybe buying a Xeon E5-2683 on ebay.

Last edited: