What car should I buy?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
The Fiat 124 Lusso looks good, but it only came out a year ago so even used it's still $25K -$30K - but maybe worth it.
no idea if they're still around but fiat had some huge rebates on the new ones.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Maybe threadcrapping... but OP, you were complaining about having to pay a couple hundred bucks to replace your car key. Why in the world would you even consider a BMW, Bentley, Jaguar, or Fiat?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Craig, this 1975 Cadillac Eldorado is just under 16K, leaves you some extra cash for tow trucks and repairs
https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1975/cadillac/eldorado/100890637
It'll be slow as a dog, but who cares, pretty much the ultimate cruising machine.

Or a 67 DeVille ... I think a nicer car, and likely will be much less slow due to not having as crippled of an engine.
https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1967/cadillac/de_ville/100887665

Creative, but I'm not really into the cars that old, with the expected upkeep, limited technology etc.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
no idea if they're still around but fiat had some huge rebates on the new ones.

Hm. The rebate I see now is $2K off a low-30's price; nice looking, but concerned it's a bit cramped like the Miata, and car and driver's review wasn't very positive.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Creative, but I'm not really into the cars that old, with the expected upkeep, limited technology etc.

Well, I assume you'll find something you like. With Pillars so thick in many cars and strengthening for partial overlap and side impact and such, it can be hard to find cars with cavernous interiors... Seems like there are not really any "big" convertibles any more ...

Have you looked at these at all? maybe a bit bland, but may be roomy enough?
Toyota Camry Solara Convertible
Lexus IS convertible (kinda small in back, but maybe the front will be roomy enough?)

Or ... the ole Jeep Wrangler ..... not a smooth ride, not a quiet ride, but tons of room, great visibility, and they hold their resale very well ...

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
I assume Top Gear hates it because it's boring - no driver feedback, etc. But those Lexii are well-built, reliable cars. Keep in mind that you're paying 5 figures for an almost 15 year old car, so it will have stuff go wrong and when it does, it will be pricier to fix than a Honda or Toyota.

Feb 25, 2011
Or ... the ole Jeep Wrangler ..... not a smooth ride, not a quiet ride, but tons of room, great visibility, and they hold their resale very well ...

They hold their resale because of a rabid enthusiast/modding* community, not because they're good/reliable/safe transportation.

*Which means any inexpensive examples have probably had a bunch of bad work done by an amateur mechanic.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
just get a miata and be done with it. they're fun as hell, cheap to buy, and cheap to run.

used hypercars of any kind are money pits. plus they lack plenty of amenities that a modern used car would have (not to mention updates in all sorts of safety features).

it's almost as if Trident took over Craig234's account :D :D

I second the Miata suggestion.

But seriously OP, have you looked into a nice 2007 Nissan Versa S sedan with 6-speed manual transmission and only 88,000 miles? I'll even throw in a set of mounted snow tires too, and I just waxed it. Only $4k. You can't go wrong!

On a more serious note, have you looked into a Hyundai Veloster Turbo R-Spec? A co-worker absolutely loves his. It might be a bit small for your taste, but I think it checks off every other box. You could probably find a 3-4 year old one for around $13k.

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Hm, velosaraptor... car and driver 2/5 stars.

The Veloster is a pseudo hot-hatch—its quirky styling stands out in traffic—yet its racy looks deceive. The base engine is a feeble 132-hp 1.6-liter four with a standard six-speed manual; a dual-clutch six-speed automatic is optional. The Turbo boasts 201 hp and a six-speed manual; a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic is optional. Handling is predictable and lively, yet steering feel is vague. If a funky-looking hatchback is all you want, step right up, but enthusiasts will be disappointed.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
How about a Toyota Corolla, which will sip gas, never break down, and over its lifetime save thousands to tens of thousands of dollars. Plus, it will hold its resale value well.

Or a Camry if you want better seats.

EDIT: I'm thinking about a thread by an unnamed user on here who bought a relatively new Mini recently, and ended up stranded on the side of the road several times within the first few weeks, with BMW repair costs.
I have a friend who just had to have a Mini when they first came out. It was in the shop a lot. Even the steering wheel fell apart. He now has a Yaris with many trouble-free miles. I tried to tell him to get a Toyota. Desire and ego are formidable foes. I have another friend who more recently traded in a Scion for a Mini (which also had its share of problems). Oops!

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
Oh - it was on the 'top ten legroom convertible' list so I hoped it was bigger (but so was the tiny Miata).

Taurus's seem kind of simple and basic - and car and driver gave it 2/5 stars and called the driver area 'cramped'.
That's a problem when you let others rate a car for you, they do not always want or need the same things you do and the ratings don't mean much to each individual buying a car.
I go by my ratings, just like for movies, music or anything, I don't really care if someone else rates a piece of garbage highly, it's still garbage to me, and a high rating that was not given by me is pointless to me.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Dear LORD this is like a TridentBoy thread - literally naming every class of car on the market and saying "what about this one?".

If you don't like high maintenance costs, do NOT consider a used ultra-luxury car. They're dirt cheap for a reason. Bentley? Come on man. First off, you don't want to be "that guy" showing up everywhere in a Bentley. Second, if ANYTHING goes wrong it's gonna cost a small fortune to fix.

I remember a few years ago Car and Driver did a "Best Car Under $15K" or something like that. They had a guy who had purchased a lightly used BMW 750iL for like $12K - fairly low miles and fairly recent model year, and the buy price was like 10% of the original so he thought he had found a gem. Well in the first year, he spent more than his purchase price to fix various things...some coil packs (IIRC) in the engine, some issues with the ultra-high tech suspension, etc. Now maybe he had a car for under $25K that was originally $100K+ and was going to last 10 years trouble-free, or maybe he had something that was going to cost him several thousand a year to keep on the road. The point is that it was cheap for a reason.

Nobody can help you until you can narrow your search down to at most a half dozen options.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just like all "What car should I buy?" threads, this one is all over the map. I say you should stick with your '84 Olds Delta 88. I mean, you almost have it paid off. Why incur more debt?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Just like all "What car should I buy?" threads, this one is all over the map. I say you should stick with your '84 Olds Delta 88. I mean, you almost have it paid off. Why incur more debt?

That's where the choice is - lots of choices.

I don't know why some people feel they're required to criticize that - they don't have to say anything; others post helpful comments. There are a lot of choices. Go to other threads if you have an issue.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I think they're criticizing because you keep flip flopping between wildly different cars. Fiat? BMW? Bentley? Jaguar? Mazda? Lexus? Ford?

You need to define what you want and narrow the cars down from there. You've said you want something:

-Used
-$5k-20k
-Comfortable
-Easy to maintain
-Not too plain
-Convertible is give or take

Easy to maintain - you can scratch BMW, Bentley, Jaguar, and Fiat off your list. Maybe Lexus too, and probably Ford. That leaves you with Mazda.

How about a nice Mazda 6? They're comfortable, reliable, easy to maintain, beautiful, and come with a moonroof, and you shouldn't have a problem finding a used one for <$20k. Done.

If that's too expensive, how about a Mazda 3? The newer generation is really nice. Done.

Or how about a 2010-2015 Honda Accord? Same deal as the Mazda 6, but maybe not quite as beautiful. Done.

The fact is, you really don't seem to know what you want. If you decide against a Mazda 6 or a Honda Accord, you're crazy.

Reactions: Yuriman

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Agreed. Easy to maintain basically narrows it down to a couple of Japanese manufacturers and some specific models for American cars. European are pretty much out of the question.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm here to help. Someone on here needs to be the voice of reason.

Someone does. Let's see if that happens.
I think they're criticizing because you keep flip flopping between wildly different cars. Fiat? BMW? Bentley? Jaguar? Mazda? Lexus? Ford?

You need to define what you want and narrow the cars down from there. You've said you want something:

-Used
-$5k-20k
-Comfortable
-Easy to maintain
-Not too plain
-Convertible is give or take

Easy to maintain - you can scratch BMW, Bentley, Jaguar, and Fiat off your list. Maybe Lexus too, and probably Ford. That leaves you with Mazda.

How about a nice Mazda 6? They're comfortable, reliable, easy to maintain, beautiful, and come with a moonroof, and you shouldn't have a problem finding a used one for <$20k. Done.

If that's too expensive, how about a Mazda 3? The newer generation is really nice. Done.

Or how about a 2010-2015 Honda Accord? Same deal as the Mazda 6, but maybe not quite as beautiful. Done.

The fact is, you really don't seem to know what you want. If you decide against a Mazda 6 or a Honda Accord, you're crazy.

Yup - and automatic. I looked at the Mazdas, and they all looked too cramped. I was trying to avoid the 'everyone gets an Accord or Camry' thing. Several possibilities were mentioned such as Chrysler 300 and similar.