Well, I'll either go fast or destroy it!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
All I REALLY need is a window switch with TPS but the progressive control would be nice to soften the hit from 3000-4500 to allow my converter some time to get the car rolling.

If my driveline (rear, trans, etc.) was a little more solid, I'd just hit it with a 150 out of the hole no window switch and spray through the shifts but I figure that would definitely end in severe damage not limited to the driveshaft, rear or trans. Not to mention the motor after I hit the limiter and it cut fuel.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Why are the LS1's valve covers all weird?

I mean, it looks like the design of the engine means the spark plugs end up somewhere they usually don't on other V8 engines.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
the coils mount to the covers, plus:
ls1godwl7ks3.jpg

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Why are the LS1's valve covers all weird?

I mean, it looks like the design of the engine means the spark plugs end up somewhere they usually don't on other V8 engines.

Individual coils mounted on the valve covers with short high tension leads going to the spark plugs on the side of the head.

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
i'm suprised your 10bolt has lasted this long... what 60ft's are you getting now? what's your stall at? what tires are you using?

I don't think your motor will be the problem... I see a new rear end in your future

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
i'm suprised your 10bolt has lasted this long... what 60ft's are you getting now? what's your stall at? what tires are you using?

I don't think your motor will be the problem... I see a new rear end in your future

IMHO, it's a toss up between trans and rear really, though i'm actually leaning towards the trans. I've been running slicks pulling 1.6 sixties forever using the PT4000 converter, but the trans seems to be suffering the most. I already have to command the 1-2 shift at 5200 rpm for it to make the shift before I tag the limiter at 7200. :eek:

Yep, then have to rip apart the block and replace the piston rings he's fried.

Nah, i'm not at all worried about the motor. This is a tried and true combo as long as you get your tune dialed in safe.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Nah, i'm not at all worried about the motor. This is a tried and true combo as long as you get your tune dialed in safe.
That thing will decimate...after you get 15 grand under the hood and overnight parts from Japan if you have to.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
That thing will decimate...after you get 15 grand under the hood and overnight parts from Japan if you have to.

this is what i'm shooting for:
sucp_0901_09_z+super_chevy_show_norwalk+camaro_wheelie.jpg

I just hope the overnighted parts from japan are worth it.

I didn't get two of the big ones though, only one. :\
nos.jpg

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Lol. This thread is hilarious. F&F will forever live in infamy amongst car enthusiasts (the real ones).

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Tej's garage is ridiculous. He has everything. Snap-on tools. These lifts are new. They're only a couple of months old.

---

Brian O'Connor: Hey, Jimmy! We got any half-empty bottles of nitrous laying around?
Jimmy: Sure, but I already loaded you with spray.
Brian O'Connor: I'm thinking we may need it for something else. 'Cause our cars may get a little crowded.

Bolded for gay inuendos.

---

Well look man, this car right here is like the Mona Lisa of the drift world. Han rebuilt this bad-boy from ground up. We talkin forged pistons, bigger turbo, new rise, new crankshaft.

Last edited:

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Gillbot, what tuning software are you using? HPTuners?

I wish, I'm an early adopter and I use LS1Edit. :(

It works though, plus I can't see dropping hundreds more into a tuning suite when what I have does work, albeit dated.

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Unlikely since I don't have a clutch. :D But hey, here's to hoping right? Though it'll never end up on here because I wouldn't youtube my fail.

I don't know if what happened to that guy happened because he was stick or manual, looks to me like he put a piston through his hood, I think he might have over rev’d it while standing on both peddles or something like that.

Either way you are going to at least tell us what happens right! Here to hoping you go fast.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
I don't know if what happened to that guy happened because he was stick or manual, looks to me like he put a piston through his hood, I think he might have over rev’d it while standing on both peddles or something like that.

Either way you are going to at least tell us what happens right! Here to hoping you go fast.

Since you couldn't see the tires spinning, he most likely did a "clutch burnout". This would have overheated the clutch causing it to fail. That sent clutch and maybe flywheel parts through the bellhousing.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Even if you don't win, just open you NOS bottle and pop your cigarette lighter for a massive explosion.