vegetarians/vegans.. why?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I've been a vegetarian for 30 years and I constantly catch flak from certain folks. I've honestly never cared about these people or their lives, yet they somehow feel the need to preach to me about "don't take away my meat".

Whatever. You'll find idiots everywhere who can't understand that you can somehow live a different life.

EDIT: You don't need any suppliments to be perfectly healthy, just eat a balanced diet.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: DougK62
A friend of mine doesn't eat meat because he believes it "cleanses his soul". He doesn't have a problem when I eat meat around him.

Personally, I think it's a bit bizarre to not want to eat meat. After all, humans are omnivores.

Not eating meat used to be very unhealthy and could foster some serious conditions. With modern supplements and such it's really not too big of a deal if you know what you're doing. You could probably live on a diet of ricecakes if you had a good supplement regimen...

Vegetarianism has ALWAYS been a healthy alternative for MILLIONS of humans for thousands of years.

heck, you can even live on Atkins' diet if you have a good suppliment regimen. :p

rolleye.gif

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: Fausto
Originally posted by: NTB
Originally posted by: NTB
And, despite what they might think, it isn't entirely healthy, either - there are some nutrients that you just can't get by strictly eating veggies, aren't there? My girlfriend knows a girl who is a vegetarian she's apparently a bit anemic, and she's told me herself that it's because of how she eats. I might be way off here, though.

Nate
It's a healthy lifestyle . . . there are millions of vegetarians worldwide; it does take a little extra care in choosing food combinations (and B-12 should probably taken as a suppliment) but protein is overrated anyway.

It's a choice.

EDIT: its a LOT healthier than the average american fast-food diet. :p Most of you are walking dietary disasters. :D

I'm perfectly aware of that. I was simply saying that concentrating too much on any one thing, be it veggies or fast food, might not be the best thing to do. But to each their own; I certainly wouldn't hold it against anyone - as long as they didn't try to take my hamburger away :p

Nate
That's the trick with a vegetarian diet; you have to really watch what you eat. This is the reason you hear so many people telling you about their friend that was a vegetarian, that was really unhealthy, anemic, whatever. It's because they just eat a lot of salads and cheese sandwiches and then wonder why they're passing out all the time. :p You have to be pretty creative when cooking to make sure you get what you need, but it's doable. I was racing bikes like a madman the whole time I was a vegetarian and won my fair share of races. A fellow by the name of Chris Newton was the 2002 Cycling Points Race world champ and he's been a vegan for most of his life.

Most of you don't get it at all . . . You REALLY DO have to WATCH what you eat on ANY DIET. If you eat too much animal fat you are clogging your arteries and setting yourself up for heart disease (and alzheimers).

VEGETARIANS do NOT eat FISH! :p

really??

i've been a veggie all my life at times even veganesque but that was only for like 5 yrs. the only nutrient that is significantly lacking in a veggie diet is vitamin b12. for most asians it's not really an issue because the seaweed (or whatever else you want to call it) contains enough b-12, ironically it probably does so because of all the sea life that is in it. :)

anyway, i'm not a vegetarian for moral reasons but just because i was raised that way and find meat to taste bad. (remember folks taste is IN THE MOUTH of the eater you can't tell me what tasted good to me so don't try).

as to veggies being anemic, at 230lbs no one i know calls me anemic. :)

Jfrag Teh Foul

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Jfrag
Good question. I am interested to know this as well.

It doesn't make any sense to me since we are omnivores and all.
Well, if you look at the overall cost in resources to produce a pound of meat it make some sense. Think about how much grain and water you have to run through a cow before you finally slaughter it. Then think about how many people all that grain could theoretically feed.

Why does it have to be a cow?

If I go catch a fish and eat it, I am still eating meat... sans the cost you mentioned.

I would much rather have a medium cooked steak as to a loaf of bread any day... so damn the costs... I earn my money and I am willing to pay it for said steak.
The cow was an arbitrary choice, but I'll point out that a LOT of the fish you eat is farmed unless you go out and catch it yourself (which most people do not). Besides, it's not about cost to you, it's about not gorging yourself on a steak when the resources that went into that steak could be feeding those in need. I know that's just way too hippy for most of you here so I'll just leave it at that.

Ok, wrong on the fish comment. Fish in particular is one thing that I do eat more of what I caught than what I bought... but that is neither here nor there. (Frog legs would be another.);)

You assume much. I do not gorge myself on steak. I do not gorge myself on food. Period. I eat responsibly and pay for it with my own dollar and you forget that even if I did it is supply and demand that drive our economy. I demand a certain type of food the supplier supplies it. Pure and simple. And before you go off on a tangent that I can't understand about giving to those who have gone without. I have plenty of donations that I make whether it be in the form of blood for the Red Cross, or cans of non-perishables to various organizations... not even mentionioning cash donations to others. (Go ahead and blame it on a tax write-off rather than genuine good-heartedness... I'm waiting.)

You forget that we produce enough in this nation to feed the entire world many times over. Cattle farmers do use up some of the resources, but not near enough to create famine or destitution on the scale you speak of. You forget that some go hungry for lack of motivation, some because of tyrants(ala somalia in early '90's), others because any number of other reasons, but I guarantee you that the food supply isn't depleted because of people who eat meat.

The hippy comment... please stop acting so much more enlightened than the rest of us... you still have to take your pants down to take a dump... you're still human... not better than. You act like it is only you who have a opinion that matters... you are wrong.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: ThaPerculator
Two more hours Clyde Frog... Two more hours then we can leave this planet full of goddamn hippies...

strange how we are allowed to make generalizations regarding SOME groups of peole and not others.
rolleye.gif

btw, i'm veggie but DEFINITELY not a hippie.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

Well, if you look at the overall cost in resources to produce a pound of meat it make some sense. Think about how much grain and water you have to run through a cow before you finally slaughter it. Then think about how many people all that grain could theoretically feed.

If I go catch a fish and eat it, I am still eating meat... sans the cost you mentioned.

I would much rather have a medium cooked steak as to a loaf of bread any day... so damn the costs... I earn my money and I am willing to pay it for said steak.
The cow was an arbitrary choice, but I'll point out that a LOT of the fish you eat is farmed unless you go out and catch it yourself (which most people do not). Besides, it's not about cost to you, it's about not gorging yourself on a steak when the resources that went into that steak could be feeding those in need. I know that's just way too hippy for most of you here so I'll just leave it at that.

Ok, wrong on the fish comment. Fish in particular is one thing that I do eat more of what I caught than what I bought... but that is neither here nor there. (Frog legs would be another.);)

You assume much. I do not gorge myself on steak. I do not gorge myself on food. Period. I eat responsibly and pay for it with my own dollar and you forget that even if I did it is supply and demand that drive our economy. I demand a certain type of food the supplier supplies it. Pure and simple. And before you go off on a tangent that I can't understand about giving to those who have gone without. I have plenty of donations that I make whether it be in the form of blood for the Red Cross, or cans of non-perishables to various organizations... not even mentionioning cash donations to others. (Go ahead and blame it on a tax write-off rather than genuine good-heartedness... I'm waiting.)

You forget that we produce enough in this nation to feed the entire world many times over. Cattle farmers do use up some of the resources, but not near enough to create famine or destitution on the scale you speak of. You forget that some go hungry for lack of motivation, some because of tyrants(ala somalia in early '90's), others because any number of other reasons, but I guarantee you that the food supply isn't depleted because of people who eat meat.

The hippy comment... please stop acting so much more enlightened than the rest of us... you still have to take your pants down to take a dump... you're still human... not better than. You act like it is only you who have a opinion that matters... you are wrong.
I never said I was better than you all (I'm not a vegetarian by a long shot these days), or that you specifically gorged yourself, etc. I'm just saying that this is the mindset of some who are vegetarians. Making a pound of cow for me to eat is a relatively wasteful process, period. You're taking my comments too personally. ;)

Edit- by "way too hippy" I meant "may seem overly idealistic and silly to most of you" not "too advanced a concept for you to understand". Being a vegetarian is largely a personal choice, and I absolutely don't understand by non-vegetarians often take it as some kind of personal attack and feel the need to pick it apart. It's kinda like all the BS I have to hear from people when I tell them I ride my bike to work most days. The most common response is "Take a car like a normal person, dumbass". I try to explain that I prefer to use a more efficient means of getting to work and then they'll come back with an argument similar to yours regarding the economy and personal freedom in purchasing item X (beef, gas, etc). I like saving gas, I'd be happy if you would too, but I'm not going to mandate it....it's your money.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
...because they'er so dang tasty..I'll eat fish or turkey even red meat once in a great while..but mostly steamed veggies..no room left for anything else..

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
For those who consider it a moral choice, don't you think you're guilty of a little unfairness toward the Plant Kingdom? Just think of what those poor plants go through; imagine spending your entire life scrounging for nutrients and sunlight, to eke out a living under hard conditions, only to be savagely pulled out of the ground and eaten, as if you were the victim of a barbarian raid...

Who will stand up for the rights of plants?
Gosh. That's really, really clever. I'll bet you're the first person ever to make that joke. You should patent it and head out on the standup circuit.....you'll make millions.

:p

You should know me better than that by now. I make that same tired joke every time I see someone post a vegan thread.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
For those who consider it a moral choice, don't you think you're guilty of a little unfairness toward the Plant Kingdom? Just think of what those poor plants go through; imagine spending your entire life scrounging for nutrients and sunlight, to eke out a living under hard conditions, only to be savagely pulled out of the ground and eaten, as if you were the victim of a barbarian raid...

Who will stand up for the rights of plants?
Gosh. That's really, really clever. I'll bet you're the first person ever to make that joke. You should patent it and head out on the standup circuit.....you'll make millions.

:p

You should know me better than that by now. I make that same tired joke every time I see someone post a vegan thread.
I know, I should have added a ";)" for clarity. :p

Jfrag Teh Foul

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001

I never said I was better than you all (I'm not a vegetarian by a long shot these days), or that you specifically gorged yourself, etc. I'm just saying that this is the mindset of some who are vegetarians. Making a pound of cow for me to eat is a relatively wasteful process, period. You're taking my comments too personally. ;)

Edit- by "way too hippy" I meant "may seem overly idealistic and silly to most of you" not "too advanced a concept for you to understand". Being a vegetarian is largely a personal choice, and I absolutely don't understand by non-vegetarians often take it as some kind of personal attack and feel the need to pick it apart. It's kinda like all the BS I have to hear from people when I tell them I ride my bike to work most days. The most common response is "Take a car like a normal person, dumbass". I try to explain that I prefer to use a more efficient means of getting to work and then they'll come back with an argument similar to yours regarding the economy and personal freedom in purchasing item X (beef, gas, etc). I like saving gas, I'd be happy if you would too, but I'm not going to mandate it....it's your money.

Sorry if I took it wrongly... I tend to be an idealist too.. sometimes it does make me a bit defensive. :eek:

The level of cynicism around here sometimes can be a bit much. I often wonder if it is based in real gut feeling or if people just enjoy creating chaos.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
If I could stand not to eat meat, I would not. I like it so much, I can't give it up..but if I had the willpower, I would in a heartbeat. The way we raise cows for slaughter is so ineffecient, and wasteful, its ridiculous. I have switched from only buying meats from farmers I know. In my opinion, we will evolve past eating meat, and we will only eat proteins developed from natural products.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

Sorry if I took it wrongly... I tend to be an idealist too.. sometimes it does make me a bit defensive. :eek:

The level of cynicism around here sometimes can be a bit much. I often wonder if it is based in real gut feeling or if people just enjoy creating chaos.
Dunno. I just don't see why people have to rail against something that doesn't directly affect them.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
I'm definitely a carnivore and the vast majority of vegitarians/vegans I have met have been pretty good about not trying to force their opinions on me. Though it did get kind of annoying the time a vegan tried to tell me that sheep were killed to get wool.

ZV

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
I'm definitely a carnivore and the vast majority of vegitarians/vegans I have met have been pretty good about not trying to force their opinions on me. Though it did get kind of annoying the time a vegan tried to tell me that sheep were killed to get wool.

ZV
He must be confusing killing the sheep that guard the wool.

;)

rolleye.gif

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000

ZV

;)

rolleye.gif
To be fair to him, he didn't think that the sheep were killed directly. It was something about them getting packed into semis and dying while on the way to large corporate sheep shearing centers. Sadly, most of the people who share his views have never actually been on a farm. It's almost always the city kids who get all uptight about these things.

ZV

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

ZV

;)

rolleye.gif
To be fair to him, he didn't think that the sheep were killed directly. It was something about them getting packed into semis and dying while on the way to large corporate sheep shearing centers. Sadly, most of the people who share his views have never actually been on a farm. It's almost always the city kids who get all uptight about these things.

ZV
Little information....dangerous thing.....you know the drill. ;)

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My top 3:

1. Animal's wellbeing
2. Spiritual belief
3. Health reasons

I don't force my beliefs on others - but I do explain my point of view if they're interested.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

ZV

;)

rolleye.gif

ZV
Little information....dangerous thing.....you know the drill. ;)

"confusing killing the sheep that guard the wool" :p

rolleye.gif

Little information. . . VEGETARIANISM....dangerous thing.....you know the drill. :p

I know.
rolleye.gif

:D