vegetarians/vegans.. why?!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Originally posted by: sxr7171
Originally posted by: lirion I don't like to eat meat that looks like meat. It just feels weird. It's not a moral decision, so I don't care what anyone else eats. Edit: Let me qualify that a bit. I don't like to eat meat at all. If there's a meat item available that's just really, really good, I'll eat some. If something still has the bones or skin I won't touch it. I can hardly stand to look at a boiled chicken, and the smell makes me gag. I don't eat fried chicken either, but I'll eat chicken on a sandwich in patty form. It's just a weird psychological problem. I'm weird, I know.
It's not that wierd, I've heard of quite a few people that are exactly the same way.
Umm..you are just trying to avoid reality. You don't want to believe the meat came from an animal that was once alive.

I'm not like that, I eat chicken straight from the bone. I've heard of people who will only eat in forms that belie its animal origin. I suppose some people legitimately are grossed out by biting into what clearly was a living animal. I don't know, I don't really have a problem with people like that.

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Maverick
My gf is a strict veggie, she won't even eat eggs. She still eats dairy products and things cooked with egg in them (just not eggs alone). She feels very strongly about her future husband and kids not eating meat. I come from a veggie family but I started eating meat when I was younger. Now I'm trying to cut back on it (with the hope of eventually quitting). To be honest I find it very difficult. To me its like an addiction which I know I need to give up but I'm finding it very difficult to do so.

My main problem is eating out. If I eat out, I can't justify spending $7.00+ on something vegetarian. And 90% of the restaurants don't have good veggie food. My gf's food is really really good and I could totally be vegetarian if it was her food alone, but going out is when I have the most trouble. She wants to get married in December so I need to quit meat by then...not sure how to really start.

Yeah, you'll just have to slowly cut it out - quitting immediately would be hard as with any habit. If you have time, you can learn some quick and tasty vegetarian dishes to prepare. It'll be tough eating salad all the time. :)

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
to truely do vegitarianism right, you gotta know what your doing, else your just going to be one of those wannabe malnourished vegitarians. it takes a lot of bulk of food to actually get all you need, and thats not easy, one must carefully select foods too. digestion of the food takes more energy, your more likely to feel lethargic after the big meals.

DeRusto

Golden Member
May 31, 2002
I don't eat meat much, and when I do its more often poultry than anything else, however the beef and eggs I eat almost always came from an animal I knew personally.:p What can I say, I live in Iowa. ;)

And any fish I eat has been caught by me or a relative.

Guess I just need to raise my own poultry now to get away from the evil megacorp ;) :p