UT2004: The Unobtainable

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Futher

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2002
I don't know why everyone is waiting for the DVD version opposed to the CD's. So what if you can install the game 2 minutes faster... I've been playing the game for days now, ordered from EB a few days before it was released and I got overnight priority shipping for free instead of two day.

sparkyclarky

Platinum Member
May 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Futher
I don't know why everyone is waiting for the DVD version opposed to the CD's. So what if you can install the game 2 minutes faster... I've been playing the game for days now, ordered from EB a few days before it was released and I got overnight priority shipping for free instead of two day.

Part of it is the principle - games simply need to start coming out on DVD for convenience, and this is one way to aid that by showing manufacturers that *gasp* we do have DVD drives on PCs 6 or so years after their introduction. The other part is that it undeniably has more value for the dollar. You get the headset, and an extra DVD full of modding tutorials.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
the hell is the difference between the CD and DVD versions?
I just bought the CD version
works fine

bdjohnson

Oct 29, 2003
Originally posted by: ChinamanatNCSU
I got lucky - called my local Best Buy about 3 in the afternoon on the 17th, all the cd versions were long gone, but there was somehow a single dvd version left. He took my name down and then hid it in the back for me so I could pick it up after work. :D

For those that have the game already - do your maps take abnormally long to load? I'm usually stuck at the loading screen for a good 1-2 minutes before I am able to join, and by then it's half over. I thought my computer was decent enough (P4 2.4, 512 Mb PC3200, Radeon 9700 Pro), and there were a couple of players asking about extremely long load times too, so just wondering if it was an isolated problem or a general issue.

Load times are mostly effected by your hard drive speed bro.

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
i picked up a copy with no probs at EB.

load times on my rig below arent a prob. under a minute on my slow as molasses 4200rpm 80gigger..

runs great on my machine. :)