UT2004: The Unobtainable

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Just burned about 2 hours trying to track down the game...Staples isn't getting it....Walmart doesn't have it.....Target doesn't have it....Best Buy: "Sure, we've got the CD version, but not the DVD version" Fine. Drive 45 minutes to Best Buy, "Oh, that's SO sold out!" :| Yes, I should have had them set one aside for me....in hindsight. I didn't think a big store like that would do that sort of thing. Crap.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
most of the servers are still running demo anyway. which is annoying as hell.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix

Official Atari servers are good places to hit up right now.

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Adul
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: ElFenix

Official Atari servers are good places to hit up right now.

I shoud run a small dedicated :)

Sure, rub it in :(

Hubris

Platinum Member
Jul 14, 2001
If you're in upstate NY, there's at least one at the EB in Ithaca. Returned it after I got the DVD version. :D

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I feel your pain... i cant find the DVD version anywhere... im kicking myself for not pre ordering.

ChinamanatNCSU

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2001
I got lucky - called my local Best Buy about 3 in the afternoon on the 17th, all the cd versions were long gone, but there was somehow a single dvd version left. He took my name down and then hid it in the back for me so I could pick it up after work. :D

For those that have the game already - do your maps take abnormally long to load? I'm usually stuck at the loading screen for a good 1-2 minutes before I am able to join, and by then it's half over. I thought my computer was decent enough (P4 2.4, 512 Mb PC3200, Radeon 9700 Pro), and there were a couple of players asking about extremely long load times too, so just wondering if it was an isolated problem or a general issue.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ChinamanatNCSU
I got lucky - called my local Best Buy about 3 in the afternoon on the 17th, all the cd versions were long gone, but there was somehow a single dvd version left. He took my name down and then hid it in the back for me so I could pick it up after work. :D

For those that have the game already - do your maps take abnormally long to load? I'm usually stuck at the loading screen for a good 1-2 minutes before I am able to join, and by then it's half over. I thought my computer was decent enough (P4 2.4, 512 Mb PC3200, Radeon 9700 Pro), and there were a couple of players asking about extremely long load times too, so just wondering if it was an isolated problem or a general issue.

In the settings menu, look for an option called "Preload All Player Skins" or something similar. Uncheck it and your load times will go WAY down.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
this happens when you don't start looking until 2 days after it is released

Jejunum

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2000
blah i went to 2 bestbuys and one gamespot unsucesfully as well :/ .... i think its a sign from G that I should just pirate it hahaha (jk mods; ill buy it next week)

bootymac

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2001
In the settings menu, look for an option called "Preload All Player Skins" or something similar. Uncheck it and your load times will go WAY down.
GOD BLESS YOU. Now can you fix the extreme lag I get while playing? Even offline I lag like a mofo, and I have most of the graphics options on "low"

ChinamanatNCSU

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2001
Originally posted by: bootymac
GOD BLESS YOU

Agreed. I LOVE you Kaervak!!!!!!! That cut my load times by at least half!

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: hdeck

Yeah, but some of us have jobs, houses, and lives.
rolleye.gif

VTEC01EX

Mar 8, 2002
I got my DVD SE version yesterday, and I'm already kinda bored with it. I guess I spent too much time with the demo.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
you should have preordered it and then you can have it sitting right next to you like me ;)

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
Originally posted by: JC
Originally posted by: hdeck

Yeah, but some of us have jobs, houses, and lives.
rolleye.gif

so join the rest of the world and buy the regular version. it isn't called the "special edition" for nothing:beer:

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: bootymac
GOD BLESS YOU. Now can you fix the extreme lag I get while playing? Even offline I lag like a mofo, and I have most of the graphics options on "low"
Hollah, My loadtime was at about 1m30s for each map, when I did this last night (thanks to a friend) it went to 30s. I was pissed before I did it, lemme tell you. Barton3000+, ti4400, 512mb pc2700 and took a year to load. :D