US Troops Kill Seven Women and Children at Checkpoint: EDIT 10 Killed Conflicting Accounts of Event

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Sxotty
Being respected does not make it true, repeating something many times does not make it true either actually sorry though.

I read the same thing on MSNBC, take a look around before you try to dismiss something you don't want to believe.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PIMPBOT5000
I'm tired of all this talk...

It's like this people... either we go in and kick some iraqi ass or later on down the road after sanctions have been lifted hussien builds a nuke and an ICBM to get it here. He has shown everybody that he is crazy enough to use them (on his own people for godsakes).

Yes, it sucks innocents get killed, but thats the nature of the game.

All of these NO WAR NO MATTER WHAT people are just sheep to the slaughter.

You're a sheep for falling for this marketing campaign.

Sxotty

Apr 30, 2002
Flavio I did not say it was not true, but what I said was that just because many people say something does not make it true you are smarter than that and so is everyone here.

If I said that the moon was made of cheese and then every news organization said the same thing without independent consultations that would not make it true.

There is only one source for the information, there is many conduits of the same information but that makes it no more accurate.

Sxotty

Apr 30, 2002
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: Sxotty
Being respected does not make it true, repeating something many times does not make it true either actually sorry though.
Since you are NOT a respected news source, you keep repeating "it's not true, it's not true" like a mantra till YOU believe your own "story".

Thanks for that point, perhaps you missed where I said it might or might not be true I don't know, but as I said there is only 1 source for this info, and a lot of parroting doesn't make it true, just like me saying over and over you are boring does not mean everyone else here thinks your boring you may be very entertaining to them.

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Ornery
Originally posted by: lowtech
"...you thought it supported the views you seem to be espousing..."

Wrong! These people are animals for not only hiding behind civilians, but shooting them in the back! Not to mention forcing men to fight or have their families killed. They ARE animals. There is hopefully a special place in hell waiting for this scum. :|
Are you saying that we take the higher moral ground in this conflict to bail the unfortunate Iraqis from Saddam?

Why has your government & CIA taken responsible for its crimes against humanity that people such as Milosevic are on trial for?

How do explain the despicable act that the US government has carried out against the weak countries such as Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia, Guatamala, etc...

Your government has stoop as low or lower than Saddam so their friends & associates can make money from the poor blood, and to have uninformed lemmings defending their cause.
Get the fvck out of my face!

I said they ARE animals, and they ARE... period. You gonna defend them by crying about Vietnam et al? Damn, talk about lemmings coming from Saddam's useful idiot.
rolleye.gif
Let not cry about Vietnam because that was the past. And, by your book we shouldn't condemned Saddam for what he has done in the past because it is now the present.

All we have at the present is history to base out judgment on this situation therefore a crime that has done from the past should be use as a base comparison.

I personally have a lot of respect for you in the past, but it has changed since this terrible action that your government has created. I?m sure your & my feeling is not a rare current, that this war has successfully divided the heart and mind of the global community and maybe even America citizens.

The only positive thing this war has achieved is bringing together the Arabs/Muslim, and maybe empower the Muslim fanatics that America is trying to take down.

And, what America has successfully done is creating at least one Muslim fanatic for every civilian that has died in this war.

:(

Shantanu

Banned
Feb 6, 2001
I think the U.S. troops did exactly the right thing. With all the suicide attacks in the past few weeks, we can't risk any more soldiers lives. The Iraqi family should have stopped. What the fsck did they think was going to happen if they tried to flee U.S. troops telling them to stop?

It's a senseless tragedy, but you cannot blame U.S. troops for doing their job. It could just as easily have been a van full of suicide bombers. And given the way they tried to outrun U.S. troops, it's damn surprising that they weren't. A senseless tragedy, but life goes on.

deepinya

Golden Member
Jan 29, 2003
Originally posted by: BigJ2078
Originally posted by: Piano Man
Horrible. If I were in the military, I wouldn't know who I could trust after the traps and suicide buildings. But killing civilians because they "might" be a problem is just wrong. We're not only fighting the army, but the people of Iraq as well, and its only going to get worse.

Fine, we'll put you in that situation, after fellow servicemen have just been killed, with a van coming at you. You don't know who, or what is in the van. It very could well be another suicide bomber. You fire warning shots, the vehicle does not respond. You fire rounds into the engine attempting to stop it but that fails too. Suppose we just let it go instead of neutralizing the threat? For all you know, that could be a car full of explosives.

I'm sorry that these innocent civilians had to die, but precautions must be taken when the other side has resulted in taking to guerilla tactics. Due warning was giving, and unfortunately they did not respond. I feel the troops acted justly in the situation, and know if I were put into the same situation, I would've responded the same to possibly save the lives of myself and fellow troops.

I agree 100%...when it comes to us or them I will choose us every time.

Some of you guys can sit here and cry about it but its a different story when its YOU out there. Put yourself in their shoes and say you just lost 4 friends in that suicide attack. Your life is now being threatened by a van that wont stop AFTER you put bullets into the engine.

Im sorry, but if anyone thinks they did the wrong thing then they are truly retarded.

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: deepinya
Horrible. If I were in the military, I wouldn't know who I could trust after the traps and suicide buildings. But killing civilians because they "might" be a problem is just wrong. We're not only fighting the army, but the people of Iraq as well, and its only going to get worse.

Fine, we'll put you in that situation, after fellow servicemen have just been killed, with a van coming at you. You don't know who, or what is in the van. It very could well be another suicide bomber. You fire warning shots, the vehicle does not respond. You fire rounds into the engine attempting to stop it but that fails too. Suppose we just let it go instead of neutralizing the threat? For all you know, that could be a car full of explosives.

I'm sorry that these innocent civilians had to die, but precautions must be taken when the other side has resulted in taking to guerilla tactics. Due warning was giving, and unfortunately they did not respond. I feel the troops acted justly in the situation, and know if I were put into the same situation, I would've responded the same to possibly save the lives of myself and fellow troops.

I agree 100%...when it comes to us or them I will choose us every time.

Some of you guys can sit here and cry about it but its a different story when its YOU out there. Put yourself in their shoes and say you just lost 4 friends in that suicide attack. Your life is now being threatened by a van that wont stop AFTER you put bullets into the engine.

Im sorry, but if anyone thinks they did the wrong thing then they are truly retarded.
I can't speak for others or people that doing the shooting, but I can say it for myself as the civilian that was shot at & bombed on.

War is chaos and many people panic when sees checkpoints or guns, because they equate it to violent & killings. It doesn?t matter to the civilians, which side the guy with the gun is on, because civilians have seen both side kills.

It is an unfortunate thing that has to happen to the people that doing the shooting at the checkpoint, but no one put a gun to their heads and forces them to be there.

You are only defending yourself if someone invaded your home/country or attack you when you are traveling. When going to a country with the intend of killing or shoot at people in a war is not defending yourself, but can be equate to invading or just a hired thug that kill for money.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Let not cry about Vietnam because that was the past. And, by your book we shouldn't condemned Saddam for what he has done in the past because it is now the present.

All we have at the present is history to base out judgment on this situation therefore a crime that has done from the past should be use as a base comparison.

I personally have a lot of respect for you in the past, but it has changed since this terrible action that your government has created. I?m sure your & my feeling is not a rare current, that this war has successfully divided the heart and mind of the global community and maybe even America citizens.

The only positive thing this war has achieved is bringing together the Arabs/Muslim, and maybe empower the Muslim fanatics that America is trying to take down.

And, what America has successfully done is creating at least one Muslim fanatic for every civilian that has died in this war.

1. Calley's just as much of an animal as these vermin. So what? He was a loose canon. This treatment of their civilians and POWs seems to be sponsored by the leaders there. They're SCUM!
  2. This "terrible action" is 12 years past due. 9-11 was the last straw. We're no longer waiting for these fanatics to have a foot hold.
  3. The Muslim fanatics are already running amok in the world, and the U.S.. They leave us no choice but to take them out... whose side are you on?

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000

1. Calley's just as much of an animal as these vermin. So what? He was a loose canon. This treatment of their civilians and POWs seems to be sponsored by the leaders there. They're SCUM!
  2. This "terrible action" is 12 years past due. 9-11 was the last straw. We're no longer waiting for these fanatics to have a foot hold.
  3. The Muslim fanatics are already running amok in the world, and the U.S.. They leave us no choice but to take them out... whose side are you on?
I'm not on anyone side, and if I must chose then it would be the civilians.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

You're siding with cilivians? Then you can tell us how they die. Do they get killed by stray US munitions? Or would you prefer they die to firing squads and from being thrown in wood chippers? Either way some will die.

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: BoberFett

You're siding with cilivians? Then you can tell us how they die. Do they get killed by stray US munitions? Or would you prefer they die to firing squads and from being thrown in wood chippers? Either way some will die.
Does the civilians have any saying in this or it is the US govenment is the one that choses the time, place, and method for them to die?

It is a hard thing to sell to the civilians when they were let down & hang to dry by the US a few years ago. Like I have said before Saddam is the devil that they know therefore they know exactly what he do to them. While they can't trust the US because it is something that they don't know & to make it worst the US has let Saddam killed them by encourage them in the last up rising.

If the Iraqis is anything like me then they would chose no war.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Does the civilians have any saying in this or it is the US govenment is the one that choses the time, place, and method for them to die?

It is a hard thing to sell to the civilians when they were let down & hang to dry by the US a few years ago. Like I have said before Saddam is the devil that they know therefore they know exactly what he do to them. While they can't trust the US because it is something that they don't know & to make it worst the US has let Saddam killed them by encourage them in the last up rising.

Life must be grand when you bury your head in the sand and pretend bad things don't happen.

Sure, most people are against war. Even people that are for this war are against war in principle. But sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

It would be nice if the Iraqis could just just say "Saddam, could you quit murdering people? We're really against violence." Somehow I don't think that'd help. So what's your other solution to rid the world of that kind of scum?

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: BoberFett

so the US let them down 12 years ago when they FOLLOWED UN resolutions and began the CEASE-FIRE? What about the other 30 countires participating? Or does all the blame just go to the US?
We realize he should have been taken out, we ralize we are in part repsonsible for him having power and those WMD, but we are also willing to assume our obligation to help correct this mistake. France, Russia, China, and GErmany made deals with Saddam to assist in getting sanctions lifted early and to help him maintain power, which they tried very hard to do.

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000
Life must be grand when you bury your head in the sand and pretend bad things don't happen.
How much you know about war to call someone that against it is burying their head in the sand?

My family members has died under the North Vietnam (VC) guns & jails, and many of my family members has died under French & American bombs. I have been shot at by the VC & bombed on by the American, but luckily I'm still alive today to voice my opion on what war do to civilians & why we are againts the war. While having armchair generals that doesn't have a clue of what war is like that tell & dictating it to us.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
How much you know about war to call someone that against it is burying their head in the sand?

My family members has died under the North Vietnam (VC) guns & jails, and many of my family members has died under French & American bombs. I have been shot at by the VC & bombed on by the American, but luckily I'm still alive today to voice my opion on what war do to civilians & why we are againts the war. While having armchair generals that doesn't have a clue of what war is like that tell & dictating it to us.

Sorry to hear you've had to live through that. But ignoring an oppressor won't make them go away.

Morph

Banned
Oct 14, 1999
Now you can hear the story from the civilians who were in the van:

Survivors tell of checkpoint tragedy

I feel very sad for these people. Funny, they don't mention anything about being forced to drive through the checkpoint by Saddam's men. Whatever, I'm not gonna make any more comments on it since I'll just be flamed for being anti-American.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Morph

I feel very sad for these people. Funny, they don't mention anything about being forced to drive through the checkpoint by Saddam's men. Whatever, I'm not gonna make any more comments on it since I'll just be flamed for being anti-American.

Interesting article for sure.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: flavio
Originally posted by: Morph

Interesting article for sure.

Sad as hell.
My father was on Saipan at the age of 18, on night watch duty. His orders were to challenge any one, and if not immediately responded to, shoot.
He heard a noise in the dark, and challenged. the sounds kept coming. He fired.
He heard what he thought was a child crying many yards away, but he could not leave his post. The sounds eventually stopped.
In the daylight, they found a dead woman, a native apparently fleeing the Japanese-held territory. There was no sign of any child.

He did not tell me of this, I learned it from an uncle. He did not speak of the war.

This kind of atrocity happens under the fog of war, and everyone involved is scarred for life.

If the Iraqi people want to be liberated, they need to rise up and prove it first, before we commit our soldiers and their civilians and soldiers to the kinds of horrifying things that are happening and will continue to happen.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Comments by prominent Shiite cleric who supposedly is in direct contact with people in Iraq

A Shiite Muslim cleric in Iraq claims the driver of the van at a U.S. checkpoint in which at least seven women and children were killed was forced to disobey the soldiers' orders to stop, thereby causing the civilian deaths, reports Fox News Channel.

Mohammed Barkir Al-Mohari said in a translated videotape that the incident outside Najaf in southern Iraq on Monday was purposely set up to give Saddam's regime grist for criticizing the United States....

Al-Mohari also claims the suicide bomber that struck over the weekend was told if he didn't carry out his mission his family would be killed, and that Saddam's regime gave the man's family hush money.

Fox says Al-Mohari, whom the network describes as an "influential cleric," says families have been threatened with mass killings and even chemical attacks in recent years if they didn't follow through with orders from the Iraqi regime to sacrifice themselves in suicide attacks.

"Those people, children and women, were put in the [van] by Saddam Hussein's forces," Al-Mohari said, "and their husbands and fathers were taken as hostages. And the driver was ordered to speed up at the checkpoint and not stop so that they would be shot at."

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: BOBDN
Yes, that's the ticket. We should simply allow Saddam to spend another decade killing his citizens by the hundreds, spitting in the face of UN resolutions, and wait until he develops biological weapons that he can then distribute to terrorists. Simply brilliant! WTG, Morph!

No, we should be there killing hundreds of civilians, spitting in the face of the UN and still unable to find any WMD.

Blix and ElBarradei were keeping Hussein in check with UN sanctioned inspections.

Bush had to escalate unnecessarily to war.

Now we are beginning to see the results of his irresponsible, unsupported action.

They just found thousands of vials of WMDs today, keep talking tard.
Edit: source: every news channel.
Edit2: link

TNTrulez

Banned
Aug 3, 2001

yep

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Acanthus
Yes, that's the ticket. We should simply allow Saddam to spend another decade killing his citizens by the hundreds, spitting in the face of UN resolutions, and wait until he develops biological weapons that he can then distribute to terrorists. Simply brilliant! WTG, Morph!

No, we should be there killing hundreds of civilians, spitting in the face of the UN and still unable to find any WMD.

Blix and ElBarradei were keeping Hussein in check with UN sanctioned inspections.

Now we are beginning to see the results of his irresponsible, unsupported action.

I've read your link. I can't seem to find a reference to thousands of vials of WMD. Could you please point it out to me. I got home from work about an hour ago and have had the news on since I walked in the door. Nobody has mentioned anything about this...I haven't even seen anything pass along the bottom of the screen about it.

Could someone please tell me what this tard, I mean Acanthus, is talking about.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Gaard
Originally posted by: Acanthus

I've read your link. I can't seem to find a reference to thousands of vials of WMD. Could you please point it out to me. I got home from work about an hour ago and have had the news on since I walked in the door. Nobody has mentioned anything about this...I haven't even seen anything pass along the bottom of the screen about it.

Could someone please tell me what this tard, I mean Acanthus, is talking about.

He's talking about the group up in the Kurdish controlled area of Northern Iraq.

He "thinks" it has something to do with Saddam apparently.