US Troops Kill Seven Women and Children at Checkpoint: EDIT 10 Killed Conflicting Accounts of Event

justint

Banned
Dec 6, 1999
U.S. Troops Kill Seven at Iraqi Checkpoint
Women, Children Killed Whne Van Refused to Stop as Ordered

By Robert Burns
Associated Press
Monday, March 31, 2003; 4:53 PM

WASHINGTON - U.S. troops killed seven Iraqi women and children at a checkpoint Monday when the Iraqis' van would not stop as ordered, a military official said.

Two other civilians were wounded in the incident at a U.S. Army checkpoint on a highway near Najaf in southern Iraq, the official said. The military is investigating, he said.

The dead and wounded were among 13 women and children in a van that approached the checkpoint but did not stop, the official said. Soldiers fired warning shots and then shots into the vehicle's engine, neither of which stopped it, he said.

Four Army soldiers were killed at a checkpoint near Najaf Saturday by a car bomb detonated by an Iraqi soldier dressed as a civilian.

Meanwhile, fresh U.S. forces are flowing to the Persian Gulf, including 500 members of an Army cavalry regiment being sent ahead of schedule to help protect U.S. supply lines from Iraqi attack.

The buildup comes amid upbeat Pentagon assessments of progress against Iraq's strongest army force, the Republican Guard, which one U.S. general said Monday had suffered a "very significant weakening" from intensified American and British aerial bombardment.

"We know how it will end: The Iraqi regime will end," said Pentagon spokeswoman Victoria Clarke. "But we know that there could be some tough fighting ahead."

Maj. Gen. Stanley McChrystal, vice director of operations on the Pentagon's Joint Staff, told a news conference that more than 300,000 allied forces are now in the Gulf region, about 250,000 of them American. Last Friday his boss, Gen. Richard Myers, had put the allied total at 270,000.

McChrystal would not discuss specific missions of the additional forces that are en route to the Gulf or getting ready to go. They include 500 members of the Army's 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment who left their Fort Polk, La., base on Sunday. They and their Humvee scout vehicles, Kiowa reconnaissance helicopters and other equipment were sent by air, enabling them to get to Iraq quicker than if the equipment had been sent by sea as originally planned.

Other members of the 2nd Armored Cavalry are to go by sea.

Iraqi paramilitary forces have launched hit-and-run attacks on supply lines between Kuwait and central Iraq, forcing U.S. commanders to devote more combat resources to protecting those lines.

The Army also is sending the 4th Infantry Division, its showpiece armored force, to Iraq. Members of the Fort Hood, Texas-based division began flying to Kuwait late last week. They originally were to deploy to Turkey to open a northern front against Baghdad, but Turkey refused access.

The first of about three dozen ships carrying the 4th Infantry's equipment arrived in Kuwait on Sunday, and the rest are expected to get there by mid-April. That would appear to make it unlikely the division will be ready in time to participate in a looming battle for Baghdad.

The 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, based at Fort Carson, Colo., also is going. Five ships carrying its equipment from ports in Texas are now on their way to the Gulf, and two more are loading.

Also scheduled to deploy, but not yet moving, is the 1st Cavalry Division from Fort Hood.

The Navy also is making adjustments. It announced Monday that four F/A-18 Super Hornet aircraft from the carrier USS Nimitz in the Indian Ocean have been temporarily reassigned to the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier battle group in the Persian Gulf.

The Super Hornets, which normally are used in a fighter role, will fly refueling missions, making up for what the Navy called a shortage of fuel for strike planes searching for targets over Iraq.

"There was significant evidence that the coalition's ability to support troops on the ground was being hampered due to a lack of airborne fuel which allows armed strike aircraft to loiter in the vicinity of enemy forces and attack them when called upon," said Capt. Jim Greene, deputy commander of Carrier Air Wing 11 aboard the Nimitz.

Once the Nimitz gets into the Gulf, it is expected to relieve the Lincoln, which is overdue to return to its home station at Everett, Wash.

The Navy has a total of three carriers in the Gulf and two in the eastern Mediterranean.

McChrystal gave an upbeat assessment of allied forces' progress on the ground in Iraq, particularly against the Republican Guard divisions protecting the approaches to Baghdad. He said intensified airstrikes over the weekend had taken much of the fight out of them.

"We see some very significant weakening and it will hit a tipping point in some of their formations," he said.

He said some elements of other Republican Guard units have moved to shore up the Medina Division that has been the main target of U.S. bombing.

McChrystal said about 3,000 precision-guided munitions - bombs guided by satellite signals or laser designators - were fired over the weekend, bringing the total since the war began March 20 to 8,000.

© 2003 The Associated Press

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. Prepared to Pay 'Very High Price'
New Explosions Thunder Through Baghdad
U.N. Aid trickles Into Iraq
Red Cross Visits Iraqi POWs

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Fencer128
Why didn't they stop?.... :( :(

Andy

Almost gives the impression that they were forced to do that to create bad press for America. Perhaps an Iraqi soldier was commandeering the vehicle.

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
It sucks, but at this point its them or us in the soldiers minds. Being fired at like that should have stopped most sane people.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Well, from what I heard on the BBC they've been all over the bodies + survivors and it doesn't look like there's any weapons - nor any men. Maybe they were just scared? stupid? who knows?

Andy

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Horrible. If I were in the military, I wouldn't know who I could trust after the traps and suicide buildings. But killing civilians because they "might" be a problem is just wrong. We're not only fighting the army, but the people of Iraq as well, and its only going to get worse.

Spyro

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Piano Man
Horrible. If I were in the military, I wouldn't know who I could trust after the traps and suicide buildings. But killing civilians because they "might" be a problem is just wrong. We're not only fighting the army, but the people of Iraq as well, and its only going to get worse.

:(

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
But killing civilians because they "might" be a problem is just wrong. We're not only fighting the army, but the people of Iraq as well, and its only going to get worse.

Yes, but the division that did this was the same one that lost 4 members to the suicide bomber who was in civilian clothes and driving a taxi. Then you had another group of Marines injured when someone drove a bus into them. Then you have Iraq's #2 man promising more suicide bombers and Islamic Jihad trying to recruit people for that very purpose.

So then you have this van driving toward a checkpoint that ignores 2 verbal warning to stop and warning shots fired in the air. Then the soldiers fired at the engine block hoping to stop the vehicle. When that didn't work they were forced to fire into the vehicle itself. With everything else going on, how are they supposed to know which vehicle is simply going to plow into them and blow up? They can't...and that's part of the tradegy of the course of action the Iraqi leadership has chosen to take.

LP29

Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Shouldn't that read Iraq kills 7 Iraqi Women and children?

?
rolleye.gif

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Piano Man

Fine, we'll put you in that situation, after fellow servicemen have just been killed, with a van coming at you. You don't know who, or what is in the van. It very could well be another suicide bomber. You fire warning shots, the vehicle does not respond. You fire rounds into the engine attempting to stop it but that fails too. Suppose we just let it go instead of neutralizing the threat? For all you know, that could be a car full of explosives.

I'm sorry that these innocent civilians had to die, but precautions must be taken when the other side has resulted in taking to guerilla tactics. Due warning was giving, and unfortunately they did not respond. I feel the troops acted justly in the situation, and know if I were put into the same situation, I would've responded the same to possibly save the lives of myself and fellow troops.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM: WINNING THE HEARTS AND MINDS OF THOSE AT HOME AND ABROAD

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
And the moral of the story is... we shouldn't f***in be there in the first place!

Yes, that's the ticket. We should simply allow Saddam to spend another decade killing his citizens by the hundreds, spitting in the face of UN resolutions, and wait until he develops biological weapons that he can then distribute to terrorists. Simply brilliant! WTG, Morph!

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
That's too bad :( The worst part is, we hear about it in the US and we (the majority) are saddenned. I get the feeling if you reverse the words "Iraqi Troops kill Seven American women and children" and most in the middle east start dancing around celebrating.

Question of values I suppose.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: tec699
Originally posted by: Morph
And the moral of the story is... we shouldn't f***in be there in the first place!

*sniff* *sniff*

I smell a commie!

:|
He's also confused about the words "Electoral College". Apparently he missed that class in the 5th grade. Must be Michael Moore's fat little cousin.

2000 Presidential Election - Total Votes

Gore: 50,999,897 votes
Bush: 50,456,002 votes

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Phokus
OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM: WINNING THE HEARTS AND MINDS OF THOSE AT HOME AND ABROAD

*sniff* *sniff*

I smell another commie

Someone who probably voted for that fascist/communist retard, Bush jr, calling me a 'commie' is probably the biggest irony on the face of the earth.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Morph

Tell me again how the Iraqi people are better off if we do nothing and continue to let Hussein and his thugs murder them by the hundreds.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

*sniff* *sniff*

I smell another commie

Someone who probably voted for that fascist/communist retard, Bush jr, calling me a 'commie' is probably the biggest irony on the face of the earth.

Isn't it ironic that a Libertarian quotes Jefferson, who bought and sold human beings? Now THAT is irony.

To those who believe we should have alliances with other countries, take heed: "Peace, commerce, and honest friendship, with all nations -- entangling alliances with none." - Thomas Jefferson

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: alchemize

*sniff* *sniff*

I smell another commie

Isn't it ironic that a Libertarian quotes Jefferson, who bought and sold human beings? Now THAT is irony.

To those who believe we should have alliances with other countries, take heed: "Peace, commerce, and honest friendship, with all nations -- entangling alliances with none." - Thomas Jefferson

That's an ad hominem attack if i ever saw one. Of course, then, by your logic, the constitution should be ripped up.