UPDATE! Philips CDRW PCRW80 $40 Rebate

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Steve0

Mar 31, 2000
I bought two PCRW804K's in July (one at Staples, the other at Best Buy). I made some phone calls in mid-October and found my way to Philips Customer Care, who took my information, assigned me a couple of case numbers, and told me to wait 4-6 weeks.

Eight weeks later, I'm still waiting...b*stards.

Steve

RBC

Jul 27, 2001
I didn't get the little religious thing at the end of my email from Mr. French. But I did see from his address that he's located in Knoxville, TN, that's kinda Bible belt country isn't it? On the other hand when I spoke with Terry Fassburg on the phone in NY on the 10th his first comment to me was "Oh, are you another one of our customers that we've f***ed recently?". Fassburg was the one who referred me to French.

sirsolo

Aug 28, 2000
I still have to receive mine. Bastards!!! What process do we have to go through to file a class action?

EDIT: And everyone please file a complaint!

Juicebox

Mar 15, 2000
Hello!

Several messages ago someone mentioned a way to flash update this drive. I tried the software linked but it said it could not find a drive it could update. Mainly because it lists other philips CDRWs.

So can anyone point me to a way to flash this drive? I can only write at 4x not 8x. i have a Gig of Ram and fast 60 gig drive so that should be plenty of resources to write at 8x.

Thanks!

Mac

Whitneymuse

Mar 18, 2001
Steve: My suggestion is to read my post a few back; the same thing happened to me and it turned out the person who was handing out case numbers with assurances of payment had handled it all wrong. Despite your case number, unless they had forwarded an email to the "promotions department", you are still in limbo land, short of the mark and probably will be wandering in here next year with the same complaint of no rebate. It takes another call to get the new improved CSRs to tell you that they have emailed promo.

sirsolo

Aug 28, 2000
SgtZulu,

if you have read this thread, you would know that your case is the exception, not the rule.

Justincase

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2001
>>>don't know what all the whining is about<<<

Read through the whole thread, and it will become obvious...or should be, to anyone with a little brain matter between their ears :)

>>>got my rebate 6 weeks after it was sent in<<<

Most of us are going on 20 weeks, or more. As the previous poster stated - you are one of the few exceptions.

Whitneymuse

Mar 18, 2001
Justincase, I think Zulu works for Parago so he had to say that; no, I take it back, he's really Mr. French the presidential liaison who works for the NA ceo of Philips -- they've got to save face

xKelemvor

Oct 18, 2000
My 6 weeks was up with them Yesterday. I'm calling them right now and we'll see what they say...

Edit 1: Got hung up on after holding for 5 minutes.

Edit 2: Got hung up on after 7 minutes. (What a piece of &$!@ company)

Edit 3: Talked to Kelby (total dumbass supervisor) Told they'd forward it to processing (like they told me 6 weeks ago) and I should wait 4 - 6 weeks.

Edit 4: Time to contact the better business bureau. I guess I've purchased that last Philips product I ever will.

--Kel

Whitneymuse

Mar 18, 2001
Kelemvor: Your tale makes me quake. If that's true, this is not good. Guess I better do my own due diligence and find out what's goin' on with my rebate.

jbloggs

Jul 3, 2001

<< Hello!

Several messages ago someone mentioned a way to flash update this drive. I tried the software linked but it said it could not find a drive it could update. Mainly because it lists other philips CDRWs.

So can anyone point me to a way to flash this drive? I can only write at 4x not 8x. i have a Gig of Ram and fast 60 gig drive so that should be plenty of resources to write at 8x.

Thanks!

Mac
>>

Direct link has session id information that expires.

Try the following steps:

Go to this site --> pcstuff philips

Click on "Support & Drivers"

Click on "Downloads (drivers, operating manuals, leaflets, hir-res picture etc.)."

At the prompt "What product do you want to download information for? " enter PCRW408K

This will take you to the downloads available for the CDRW.

I hope that helps.

douggie

Mar 25, 2001
Sent an e-mail to Philips rebate dept (the address that someone posted in this thread) and surprisingly I got a reply!!! Here's the details:

<<
Thank you for contacting Philips concerning your rebate information
that you submitted to Parago fulfillment center in Coppell, Texas. Please
disregard the postcard you received stating your rebate has been rejected.
Several rejections were sent to customers in error by Parago. You are
automatically being re-validated by Philips. Please be assured that you will
be receiving your rebate check. In an effort to deliver the highest possible
level of service to our customers, we are in the process of changing
fulfillment centers. Your check will be issued through our new fulfillment
center. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the processing and delivery of your
check. If you do not receive your check in 6 weeks, please contact the
Philips' customer care center at 1-800-531-0039. When contacting our
customer care center, please have your date of purchase, place of purchase,
model number of unit purchased and the amount of rebate you submitted for,
as well as your service request (case) number US2-7*****. ready to give to
the agent.
>>

Although I'm glad my rebate is heading somewhere, I'm definitely not holding my breath for it :)

Besides, I already sold that damn thing for $50, so even if the rebate doesn't come, I'm still ahead by $10 (I received the BB rebate a long long time ago).

SeiyaMan

Oct 6, 2001
i just received the same email as douggie. Dang, another 4-6 wks:( this time it better come:disgust:

Steve0

Mar 31, 2000
Whitneymuse, I went back and saw your earlier post. Reading this thread only depresses me.

Whatever incompetence or internal failure to communicate caused this delay, may provide some insight but no satisfaction, and doesn't change the course of action I must take.

So here we go again to the phones. I didn't have an opportunity to call Philips today, but will definitely do so Monday. I'm looking for a "customer relations gesture". Feh.

Steve

Whitneymuse

Mar 18, 2001
Steve8, I can reply to yours, because I actually subscribe to this thread, now, trying to hear any further information. I'm operating on the assumption that after I called this last time, the CSR supervisor seemed pretty adamant and spoke with confidence that the woman who originally gave out the US2 XXX.... case numbers and assured us that we'd get our rebates in 4-6 weeks, perpetuated the problem further. When she gave the case number she apparently failed to inform promotions; at least, she's getting blamed for it. The CSR supervisor who seemed to take charge and assured me of the rebate in 2-3 weeks was Keesha, so I'd attempt to speak with her if you can.

Finally, with all of this riz-fraz, I decided to call Philips this afternoon just to assure myself that I heard the same story again...I have to say, that I could have saved myself some grief. When I called, I got a male's voice saying they were overwhelmed with calls on their customer service line and that I should call back -click- (((((disconnect)))).............

Philips of North America's customer service, an oxymoron for sure and an excercise in true incompetence. Good fortune. I think you have to be tenacious and write the president...he'll dump it off to their presidential liaison and you'll get a letter from him. At least you'll have a letter in hand to take to small claims (if it comes to that). We'll ALL know soon.

Mikelh

Dec 9, 2000

<< Now that's really aggregious; I corresponded with him three days earlier, on the seventh, and his reply said 2-3 weeks. As I said earlier, when one of those Office of the president liaison types start quotin' the Bible as he did on his signature, "Faith is the evidence of things unseen," AND waiting for 6 months and about over a dozen different CSRs in two different rebate companies, leaves me cold.

I think Philips gets a lump of coal this Christmas season.
>>

Because a man quotes the Bible, doesn't diminish the Bible as the Word of God. Man is sinful, with a deceitful and wicked heart, and only the Word of God can change that condition.

So, please don't judge God's Word on who quotes it; judge God's Word on His own character. :)

Michael

Mikelh

Dec 9, 2000
Well, to the natural man, all things are by mere men. The Bible is the inspired word of God, penned by mere men, led by the Holy Spirit.

For example: If you're dying, and you have something to say to your children and ask your wife to pen your words..is it a message from a mere wife? Nope..it's a message from a father to his children, penned by a mere wife.

It's a spiritual thing man, don't try to figure it out unless you have discernment. :)

Case closed..off topic!

Michael

Justincase

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2001
>>>I really shouldn't stay off-topic, but isn't the Bible written by mere men?<<<

Don't tell that to the millions of delusional fools that believe that a supreme being / diety that nobody has ever seen, and that has no physical presence, wrote it. To answer your question - of course, lots of men wrote, and re-wrote, the bible.

<Justin puts on double-layered flame-retardant suit for all the flames that are sure to follow :Q >

BTW, can one be off-topic in a thread that is itself off-topic?

mboy

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2001
Amazing millions of blind sheep can take a book thousands of yrs old, written, re-written with no proof of authentication of anything contained in it, as gospel. The be all, end all they live by. Amazes may that people can be sooo weak as to be lead and fooled like that. The bible, like all religion, is the biggest scam/troll in the history of the world. Amazing how soo many are takend by it.

Justin, my flame suit is on and I am with you.