UPDATE! Philips CDRW PCRW80 $40 Rebate

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Justincase

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2001
>>>How can they stand the abuse of customers calling day in and day out asking about the same thing?<<<

That's what they're paid for (with our money)...it's their job...our job is to keep up the pressure until they loosen their grip on OUR money and return it to the rightful owners (us).

beaver

Aug 14, 2001

<< >>>How can they stand the abuse of customers calling day in and day out asking about the same thing?<<<

That's what they're paid for (with our money)...it's their job...our job is to keep up the pressure until they loosen their grip on OUR money and return it to the rightful owners (us).
>>

Good points. I will keep calling them until the money back.

Vampirelord

May 29, 2001
just called them. she said my check was send on Nov.13. I just said either the mail dept or you are FXXking lier. I will file BBB.

copyfixer

Dec 16, 2000
Called this morning. I was told another 6-8 weeks for mine. They did give me a case # to refer to in the future.:|

Caveman2001

Dec 24, 2000
I called the other day and was given a case number and told 4 weeks. Thanks for posting the info here, otherwise I probably wouldn't have a chance for my money.

rlc

Jun 16, 2001
thanks for the topic, called up to philips....and they told me to wait for another 3-4 weeks due to the large rebatest request on this deal.... oh lord... i have waited for 4 months already....philips sucks

RBC

Jul 27, 2001
More runaround. I spoke with Rhonda a few minutes ago regarding the status of my rebate (She's the same one who wrote us the letters on 10/3 stating that the money was coming in 4-6 weeks). She said she has sent emails to the rebate center on 11/29 and still hasn't heard back from them so at this time she still can't tell me how long it's going to take for the checks to be issued.:|

Sanjoelo

Apr 4, 2001
I would strongly suggest that everyone who is waiting for this rebate take a few minutes to file complaints with the FTC and BBB. This is completely unacceptable, and this is our opportunity to make a statement. Philips has been dicking everyone around for months on this rebate. We as consumers need to let it be known that we don't want to have to chase rebates. As long as we submit them on a timely basis, and include everything specified in the rebate offer, the money should be in our hands within the specified time frame. Period. If you don't have the funding or wherewithal to handle the rebate, then don't offer it.

-JB

Tates

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2000
Took 6 months, 5 phone calls to get a $60 rebate on a Philips speaker/sound card combo. Got the same kind of runaround alot of other have described here.:disgust:

No matter how good the deal on Philips product, I will never buy Philips again based solely on a rebate incentive.

jmanisa

Aug 20, 2001
I received my $40 from Philips last week (Nov26). First call I made to them was second week of Oct.

ScrapSilicon

Lifer
Apr 14, 2001

<< I received my $40 from Philips last week (Nov26). First call I made to them was second week of Oct. >>

:Q was it from Philips or rebateshq alias Parago ???

rufruf44

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
Called them again today, and Philips want to know which store you bought it from. Looks like they're trying to sort it out the place of purchases, maybe to reject the ones purchased from BestBuy since a rebate already being paid?
Going to call back in 10 days......

Whitneymuse

Mar 18, 2001
If jmanisa's experience is true: I received my $40 from Philips last week (Nov26).First call I made to them was second week of Oct.

Which I have no reason to doubt, then perhaps I'll be scheduled to receive mine soon. I called November 14 and was told 4 to 6 weeks I'd receive mine. Mitigating against that, though, was Barbara's closing statement: "You'll get a letter confirming all of this in 4 to 5 days."

So far, NOTHING from Philips, yet; no rebate, no letter. And I mailed the original in July 2001. This was the last Philips product I bought, forever.

beaver

Aug 14, 2001
True or not.
I am one of the first persons to switch to call Philips instead of the RebateHQ. First time (Oct. 2001) they let me wait for 4 weeks, I did. last month still no rebate check comes, called again they let me wait for another 4 weeks. And I believe I have to call until I get it. Philips sucks, I will never to buy any of its products.

Crank

Feb 7, 2001
Well, an idea struck me today, so off I went to the Philips USA website. I wrote a complaint letter and sent it to every name listed here:
Philips people to complain to
Much to my surprise I got this back in a few minutes:
Chris:
Thanks for the note. As you can imagine, yours in not the first we have received. We apologize. By copy of this note, I've asked our top consumer affairs executive, Clark French, to help out.
-- Terry

Who knows, maybe it'll help. In the mean time, if you need to vent some of the frustration and angst generated by Philips's moronic CSR's, I suggest you do what I did and go here to complain:

BBB Online complaint form
and
FTC Online complaint form

Have fun.

Whitneymuse

Mar 18, 2001
Crank...I did read your response and wrote a nice letter to their North American Executive and CEO of North American Philips with CCs to their legal counsel and branding VP, Terry. Their CSRs in my experience all seem to be "nice" and "helpful"...they just don't seem to be able to deliver the goods, which in this case is the rebate. For instance, my rebate was given a case number on the 14th of November, but apparently didn't make it to the "promotions department" of North American Philips until November 26th. Presumably, that 11-26 communication to promotions was telling them to pay me my rebate which, according to the supervisor, Keesha, said would be paid in 4 weeks from that day.

Anyway, the CEO, Mr. Bill Curran bill.curran@philips.com and Belinda Chew belinda.chew@philips.com , Sr.VP General Counsel and Terry Fassburg terry.fassburg@philips.com , VP Brand Communication got a letter from me today basically letting them know that this whole mess has probably cost them a ton of good will...all that money they spent on those "with it" commercials about the Philips flat TV...remember? Well, there are a few hundred people on this Hot Deal section who have to be in the same boat as you and me. Can you imagine what a travesty this is for the Brand Communication VP? My letter went something like this, in part (I removed all of the IDs before sending my missive to Mr. Curran and friends:

<DIV>http://www.anandtech.com/<FONT color=#000080>Mr. Curran:</FONT></DIV>

<DIV><FONT color=#000080></FONT></DIV>

<DIV><FONT color=#000080>Before starting, you should know that this isn't meant to be a "rant" at Philips' North American CEO, and I'm certain that Philips isn't in the business of destroying its product brand. However, your rebate program is gaining a particularly deserved reputation which will result in avoidance of your consumer electronic sales, at least for this group of people, below. I've taken a screen shot of one of the threads that are carrying the message regarding one of your products, the PCRW 804, that had a $40 rebate during the summer, and it isn't good. A number of individuals have filled out the Federal Trade Commission complaint form and/or the Better Business Bureau form.

It went on to document my legacy of communications with Parago and Philips back to July 2001. At least I got it off my to do list. Now let's see if the rebate gets here as scheduled...let's see, that'd be 12-26-2001.</FONT></DIV>

poolshark

Dec 19, 1999
You should have seen the nasty email I sent Philips to get this response..

Dear Mr. Smith,

We have received your email regarding the issues with the expected rebate. We regret that you have experienced this difficulty and
we offer our apologies for the frustrations that you have endured. As you are aware this issue have become wide in range. Due to
may issues with the fulfillment house in charge of the rebates, we are now forced to look elsewhere for the necessary assistance.
We are currently in review of this process, which will have to be re-vamped for the benefit of our consumers.

Due to the issues involved we have issued a check to you from our corporate office. This has been done to avoid any further
situations with the rebate process. While the general time frame for shipment to consumers is within two to three weeks, we can
assure that a check has been issued and will be sent.

Again, we do regret that you have experienced this situation. Please be assured that we share your concerns with this matter. We
appreciate your patience and we thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Sincerely,

R. Clark French
Presidential Liaison
One Philips Drive, P.O. Box 14810
Knoxville, TN 37914-1810
865.521.4811 / 865.521.3255 Fax
clark.french@philips.com

"Faith is the evidence of things unseen."

swampman

Jun 6, 2001
Thanks to all who posted!!

I tt to csr, thanks to posted #, 12/6/01. She 'assured' me that I would have check processed or update in "two weeks". I gave her my tracking # from rebateshq dtd 8/14/01. She gave me a case # for any future reference. ha.

Wanted date of purchase and from whom purchased.

I've decided to 'give benefit of doubt', and wait until 12/20/01 to proceed. I mentioned I found phone # at Anand and she said she had a copy of our posts. Very interesting.

RBC

Jul 27, 2001
:eek: Well, I started this version of this thread and I have to admit I finally gave in today to total frustration.

I called Rhonda today for an update and she told me that she still didn't know for sure what was going on after admitting that the rebate center still hasn't replied to any of the emails she has sent them for the past two weeks. That did it for me, I asked for her supervisor and she said she couldn't tell me who that was. I asked for a copy of the email she sent to the rebate center and she said she wasn't allowed to let me have a copy. The topper was that I asked for the telephone number for the Philips Consumer Electronics NA headquarters and she said she wasn't ALLOWED to give that number out.

THEN, I went back to the tech support guys. They were sympathetic and they gave me a number for their customer referral service. The operator there would only give me Rhonda's number or tech support's. When I asked her for the HQ's phone number she said she wasn't allowed to give it out and hung up on me.

I ended up using switchboard.com to get their NYC HQ number and a temp receptionist put me through to the VP of Brand Communications (he's listed on the web site and in one of the earlier posts in this thread). I got his assistant and after telling her my tale of woe (above) she actually put me through to the guy. He's a good guy and was actually pretty fun to talk to. Not to bore with the details but suffice it to say, according to him a lot of folks in promotions won't be getting xmas bonus $ this year. Bottom line, within about 30 minutes he got another VP to email me confirming that they were cutting me a check directly from the Marketing dept. that day.

Hopefully this is my last post on this topic.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Can you give the phone number for the HQ. I have 2 of these rebates , and could use the $80 as I just got a Classic car and have a $1300 school bill to pay tomorrow. $80 is only a drop in my bills but it all adds up.

But never will I buy a Phillips product again!!!

dawman45

Jul 10, 2001
I too called the Philips 800 # today regarding my 2 CDRW rebates outstanding. I was given 2 case #'2 and some "bs" about 6-8 weeks. Oh well, I can only hope for the best,