Upcoming MMOs

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
Well, Eve Online is one of the most successful MMO's out there, and it has a good 30-60k playing at any given time.

So yeah, it does.

On a side note, my Corp has been on a suicide ganking spree on carebears. All those idiots with shiny gear and ships autopiloting. The tears of "I don't want to ever fight" players are so delicious. The universe is a dark unforgiving place, learn to play the game.

Eve is the only game of its type. As opposed to all those others. The reasons you love it may well be the reasons I (and others) don't subscribe.

Not to be down on it though. Eve is pretty cool: It's very upfront about what it is, so you can play it if you like that sort of thing. Not for me though. Would have considered that Dust game, if it was out on PC. Still think that was a concept failure.

I'm actually looking forward to WoD, as they seem like exactly the right company to do that grim vampirey setting right.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Eve is the only game of its type. As opposed to all those others. The reasons you love it may well be the reasons I (and others) don't subscribe.

Not to be down on it though. Eve is pretty cool: It's very upfront about what it is, so you can play it if you like that sort of thing. Not for me though. Would have considered that Dust game, if it was out on PC. Still think that was a concept failure.

I'm actually looking forward to WoD, as they seem like exactly the right company to do that grim vampirey setting right.

+1. I have no interest in playing a game with that culture. If I played it, I might try to find a way to waste the time of people like that, if the game has a way to do it.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Eve makes me feel like a failure as a gamer :D

over the summer, I was dating a guy who was really into it... he hooked me up with a trial, but I got about 15 minutes into the tutorial before getting frustrated and giving up.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I assume GW2 will be instanced based like GW1 was, where you could have at most 8 people in your party and go do a dungeon or something.

The only areas you actually have lots of people at once would be towns. That is essentially a glorified Diablo 2.

Without the ability to have large number of players at once at any part of the world at any time is what makes it not a true "MMO".

assumptions are bad, especially when the contrary information is widely available.

;)

GW2 = No more, and no less instanced than a game like WoW.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
Eve makes me feel like a failure as a gamer :D

but I got about 15 minutes into the tutorial before getting frustrated and giving up.

EVE makes everyone feel that way. Its a great game if you have 8hrs+ /day to dedicate. But for the rest of us mere normal people, its not something I would recommend. Lets put the comparisons of every game to EVE to rest please.

Oct 25, 2006
EVE makes everyone feel that way. Its a great game if you have 8hrs+ /day to dedicate. But for the rest of us mere normal people, its not something I would recommend. Lets put the comparisons of every game to EVE to rest please.
Which is funny because I play for about, 20 hours in total a week, and still accomplish so damn much.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Nothing will beat GW2 i am sure!
also let's see what Blizz will present next year

thats been said about a lot of games and it never came true. GW1 was horrible. They will have to make this one 100000000x better to make me even think of playing it.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
thats been said about a lot of games and it never came true. GW1 was horrible. They will have to make this one 100000000x better to make me even think of playing it.

Horrible?

Might not be your kind of game, but that doesn't make it horrible. Horrible games have game play problems and/or lack of depth - GW had great game play and depth.

Did you actually reach post-searing?

Last edited:

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009

I wouldn't say it was horrible. It sold over 6 million boxes over its lifetime. Granted that likely includes all 3 of its expansions that's still 2 million accounts at least if it was the same 2 million who purchased everything. I wouldn't call it a failure by any stretch.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2009/04/24/guild-wars-hits-the-6-million-milestone/

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Horrible?

Might not be your kind of game, but that doesn't make it horrible. Horrible games have game play problems and/or lack of depth - GW had great game play and depth.

Did you actually reach post-searing?

no idea what post-searing means

i'm not going to play a game that I don't find fun for a year just to get to a part that might be interesting. That's just stupid.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
no idea what post-searing means

i'm not going to play a game that I don't find fun for a year just to get to a part that might be interesting. That's just stupid.

Post-Searing is the end of the Prophecies campaign (original GW) prologue, so 1 hour or so and you can be out.

Prophecies is the slow pace campaign. Factions is the fast pace one. Nightfall is mid term.

And no, in GW you don't have to play for 1 year to get something.

So if you only played the prophecies campaign and you only played for a couple of hours you didn't see much of the game. It is basically like playing the tutorial mission of a RTS game and call it too easy and plain.

They seem to have fixed it in GW2 and throw you straight away into a boss fight for the tutorial.

Again, just because a game isn't your cup of tea that doesn't make it horrible.

I don't particularly enjoy flight sims and racing games, that doesn't mean they are horrible. When a game is horrible one can point why, like "I didn't like GW because the combat was awkward" or something of the sort.

Considering it sold over 6.5 million boxes (most expansions were stand alone and went for the full price), with a new IP, from a new developer with barely any marketing, it simply couldn't have been horrible.

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Post-Searing is the end of the Prophecies campaign (original GW) prologue, so 1 hour or so and you can be out.

Prophecies is the slow pace campaign. Factions is the fast pace one. Nightfall is mid term.

And no, in GW you don't have to play for 1 year to get something.

So if you only played the prophecies campaign and you only played for a couple of hours you didn't see much of the game. It is basically like playing the tutorial mission of a RTS game and call it too easy and plain.

They seem to have fixed it in GW2 and throw you straight away into a boss fight for the tutorial.

Again, just because a game isn't your cup of tea that doesn't make it horrible.

I don't particularly enjoy flight sims and racing games, that doesn't mean they are horrible. When a game is horrible one can point why, like "I didn't like GW because the combat was awkward" or something of the sort.

Considering it sold over 6.5 million boxes (most expansions were stand alone and went for the full price), with a new IP, from a new developer with barely any marketing, it simply couldn't have been horrible.

it's been a long time since i played it. i know i played for a few hours at least. I don't remember much about it other than i didn't like it. as i already said, I'm not going to continue playing a game i don't enjoy, that's just stupid.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
it's been a long time since i played it. i know i played for a few hours at least. I don't remember much about it other than i didn't like it. as i already said, I'm not going to continue playing a game i don't enjoy, that's just stupid.

Nothing against that.

That doesn't make the game horrible though. :)

Still, GW2 is different enough from the first that players that disliked the first one might love the 2nd and vice-versa.

And it is a MMO that actually doesn't want to be WoW. :)

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I remember playing with you on there briefly when you created the account. I think you got to level 3 or 5? or so and so never got beyond noob island...so you never actually played the game.

:\

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Its kind of like the end to the prologue, its really early in the game more like level 4 or so if I remember right.

more like level 7-8 if you do all of the skill quests. I first time player will likely complete all of that.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I remember playing with you on there briefly when you created the account. I think you got to level 3 or 5? or so and so never got beyond noob island...so you never actually played the game.

:\

that wasn't me...i don't think i ever played with any other people, let alone atoters.

wikipedia says it was released in 2005. i don't think I joined this forum until 2006 and the base GW game was the only one out at the time if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
that wasn't me...i don't think i ever played with any other people, let alone atoters.

wikipedia says it was released in 2005. i don't think I joined this forum until 2006 and the base GW game was the only one out at the time if I remember correctly.

haha.

You know....that might have been some other pontifex. There were a few, apparently that is some popular name?

I think I did work with zerocool and a few other ATers briefly, rather early on.

But there was a pontifex that I always thought was you--but now I remember an online conversation revealing that it probably wasn't.

:hmm:

but your join date does say 2000--could be borked like my post number, (which is way too high...I think).

and the game was released 2005. factions was out a year later, about the time I played. Still....wouldn't matter the campaign. I did play with a pontifex in pre-searing at some point.

dude hated everything, haha.

Last edited: