Upcoming MMOs

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Tera Online is coming out; apparently a 'twitch MMO'.

Anarchy Online is getting a new graphics engine.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
Guild Wars 2 should be huge and more popular than 1. Tera Online sounds like a great concept but I have to wonder about how lag will impact the game.

I wish somebody would bring out a Car Wars MMO.

Oct 20, 2005
How is GW2 not an MMO?

I assume GW2 will be instanced based like GW1 was, where you could have at most 8 people in your party and go do a dungeon or something.

The only areas you actually have lots of people at once would be towns. That is essentially a glorified Diablo 2.

Without the ability to have large number of players at once at any part of the world at any time is what makes it not a true "MMO".

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I assume GW2 will be instanced based like GW1 was, where you could have at most 8 people in your party and go do a dungeon or something.

The only areas you actually have lots of people at once would be towns. That is essentially a glorified Diablo 2.

Without the ability to have large number of players at once at any part of the world at any time is what makes it not a true "MMO".

No, this time it's a true MMO

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated.-READ-ME

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Secret World. That looks interesting to me.

While I get the want for something other than fantasy mmos, i find that sci-fi mmos just don't feel right. take SW: TOR. Shooting rockets and missiles at stuff and it barely hurts the enemies just seems super unrealistc (yes yes, magic isn't real but you know exactly what i mean). Personally, sci-fi mmos just don't do it for me.

As for PVP in MMOs, I hate it. My experience is like this:

Originally Posted by Bateluer:
Pure PvP MMOs tend to attract the worst, and lowest, sort of people imaginable, usually children playing under their parents credit cards or dead beat adults working minimum wage jobs. There's nothing wrong with PvP in selected areas, but its simply not fun to be killed by a player 4x your level.

Even if you could only attack players of your own level, class balancing for PVP usually sucks in MMOs. PVP should never have been introduced into to MMOs.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008

Assumptions are the first step for error.

GW2 will feature a huge persistent world. And one where you will actually be happy to see other players instead "oh noes they will steal all my mobs".

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I was excited about the concept of a World of Darkness MMO, because I love game system, but I heard something about perma-death? that makes a game unplayable to me.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
I can play first person shooters for team-based PvP. Open world PvP is what's needed for MMOs.

Of course, when the gaming companies all seem to allow level 50s to attack level 10s, it's no wonder people think this.

World vs World vs World, in a gigantic area with over 2000 players with sieges to castles and keeps is probably better and more engaging than any stupid Open World PvP.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
I was excited about the concept of a World of Darkness MMO, because I love game system, but I heard something about perma-death? that makes a game unplayable to me.

WoD onine. Been waiting years, only another year to go...

Character driven, single persistent universe, "mature audience" (as in Eve), & permadeath!. CCP is the only company I would trust to pull something like this off.

Last edited:

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010

While I get the want for something other than fantasy mmos, i find that sci-fi mmos just don't feel right. take SW: TOR. Shooting rockets and missiles at stuff and it barely hurts the enemies just seems super unrealistc (yes yes, magic isn't real but you know exactly what i mean). Personally, sci-fi mmos just don't do it for me.

Even if you could only attack players of your own level, class balancing for PVP usually sucks in MMOs. PVP should never have been introduced into to MMOs.

Lol OK carebear. :whiste:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
WoD onine. Been waiting years, only another year to go...

Character driven, single persistent universe, "mature audience" (as in Eve), & permadeath!. CCP is the only company I would trust to pull something like this off.
I'm interested to see how it plays out at least.

I've always wondered if there's truly a market demand out there for a "hardcore" MMO beyond a small handful of players.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010

This is why the approach that EQ, TOR and other games use is best: PvP servers. You can choose not to play on them, AND, not only that, the guys who would be likely to grief in other ways on non-pvp servers will be attracted to the pvp servers and away from the carebear servers.
World vs World vs World, in a gigantic area with over 2000 players with sieges to castles and keeps is probably better and more engaging than any stupid Open World PvP.

And how exactly do games like this work? Do you invade other servers? Are there different worlds on the same server?

And if there is any semblance of sticking to MMORPG gameplay, how do people complete quests if quest locations and NPCs are stuck behind enemy territory?

Believe me, I would be interested in a game like this, but at some point it stops being an MMORPG.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
And how exactly do games like this work? Do you invade other servers? Are there different worlds on the same server?

And if there is any semblance of sticking to MMORPG gameplay, how do people complete quests if quest locations and NPCs are stuck behind enemy territory?

Believe me, I would be interested in a game like this, but at some point it stops being an MMORPG.

Every 2 weeks 3 servers are pitted against each other in a single large zone. It has 3 major keeps one held by each server. Participants fight over supply camps towers and forts and their success on the battlefield translates to bonus' on their own server.

The WvWvW zone is separate from the rest of the game and you go there with the intent to participate. Also there are no "quests" in guild wars 2.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Every 2 weeks 3 servers are pitted against each other in a single large zone. It has 3 major keeps one held by each server. Participants fight over supply camps towers and forts and their success on the battlefield translates to bonus' on their own server.

The WvWvW zone is separate from the rest of the game and you go there with the intent to participate. Also there are no "quests" in guild wars 2.

No quests? And based on your description, it sounds more like Planetside with swords. Which, again, I would be interested in, but this is beginning to sound more like a shooter(but with swords), which would leave me still wondering about games that actually MMORPGs.

So there's no quests, are there even levels and leveling? Camping for items? Anything that's MMORPG standard?

Is there any update on release for GW2? At this point I want to try it just to see for myself how in the hell it works, lol.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
No quests? And based on your description, it sounds more like Planetside with swords. Which, again, I would be interested in, but this is beginning to sound more like a shooter(but with swords), which would leave me still wondering about games that actually MMORPGs.

So there's no quests, are there even levels and leveling? Camping for items? Anything that's MMORPG standard?

Is there any update on release for GW2? At this point I want to try it just to see for myself how in the hell it works, lol.

There is levelling but there is no gear treadmill - max stats weapons are trivial to get.

The combat will be something between a 3rd person action game and a MOBA. At any given time you have a limited amount of skills (although weapon switches mid combat and other class mechanics will increase the amount of skills available during a fight plus a trait system that modify how your skills work, so 2 people using the same skills/weapons might still play differently) that have different tactical uses each. There is user controlled dodge - yes, you dodge out of the way of an arrow or fireball. No, you can't keep chaining dodges, there is a endurance bar. You can dodge twice in a row before your endurance bar is drained.

You don't need to target if you don't wish to - throwing you spell at the direction will be enough.

About questing.

Personal story - instanced quests in your home city district a la SWTOR or GW1 campaign.

Renown Hearts - quests in a certain area, that are always there until you complete them. You can complete these by doing several different things (for example in one quest you can kill wasp nests, cut trees, use mines to blow tree stumps and kill certain foes). Once these quests are done you access an NPC that allows you to spend karma to buy different equipment and flavour stuff (for example in a farm they might give you vegetables and eggs while in a bar some wine or whatever).

Dynamic Events - these keep happening around the world, sometimes because someone triggers something but many others just happening. You can join in and participate or not. These dynamic events have failure states, so if the dynamic event was about defending a village and you fail (or no one was there to help the villagers defend themselves and they fail), the village is overtaken. So your next event is retaken the village. Had you succeeded, the event would be raiding the enemy camp.

Depending where these dynamic events are in their chains, they may trigger access to certain areas previously closed, like open world dungeons or may trigger Meta Events, where you will face raid-like bosses.

No camping for items - everyone gets their own loot table. We both kill a mob and even if we aren't in the same party we both get something. When a resource node pops out, like a mining node or plant, everyone can use that individual node once.

While there is levelling, it is less important than in other games.
Flat levelling curve that tops early, meaning it takes the same time to go from 20 to 21 than from 78 to 79; you scale down to the content level (if you are a level 70 and go to a level 30 area you will be level 30, but you still get experience and gear level appropriate); for structured PvP you are automatically level to level 80, gain access to all skills and max level gear; for WvWvW you are levelled to level 80 but you keep your gear and skills, on the other hand you get xp and gear from enemy players you kill and karma/gold from completing WvWvW events like defending a dolyak caravan (these things transport supply that is required to build sieges weapons and repair and upgrade castles and towers) or assaulting a castle.

GW2 started their pre-purchase on April 10th. Pre-purchasers will have access to BWE.

First BWE will be either next weekend or the following.

No release date as been announced but there are rumours pointing to the end of June.

Most people is betting on BWE 20-22 April followed by a release date announcement at 27-29 April during GW1 7th birthday celebration.

PS: And of course, there is no targeted heals and no taunts in GW2, leading to no healers and no tanks, so no holy trinity.

A video with some devs playing some PvE and some structured PvP.

Total biscuit doing some Dynamic Events

Yogscast doing some WvW
Noisy WvW don't forget watching it at 1080p

WvWvW not that epic yet since it was closed beta and all the journalists flocked on the same server, so was a bit unbalanced. :)

Last edited:

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009

There are no quests. There are two types of single player PvE content that replace quests for leveling. Dynamic Events and Renown Hearts.

Renown Hearts are similar to quests in other MMO's. You walk into an area and someone needs help. They differ for 2 reasons. There are multiple ways to fill the renown heart and once you complete the renown heart the "quest giver" will become a karma vendor allowing you to purchase unique items from them. As far as multiple ways to fill the heart as an example there is a heart in the human starting area about a farm. You can fill the heart by feeding cows, picking corn, fighting off crop thieves sometimes more. On the topic of Karma items another heart involves being shapeshifted into a pig. The vendor then sells a temporary item to allow you to become a pig anywhere.

Dynamic events are occasional events you will find when exploring the world. These invole a "chain" of events with one side occuring if you continue to win consecutive events in the chain and and another for if they continue to fail. Dynamic events seem to be very "meta" and effect the entire zone and the world around you. In one zone there may be a constant struggle with the centaurs where they keep overtaking local villages and killing the NPCs. If no one fights them back they will continue to pillage until they are stopped. However if a brave adventurer comes along and retakes all the villages there may be a final event involving killing the centaur chief.

The idea behind this is theres always something to do and you aren't just running from point A to point B. You may be doing a renown heart when those centaurs overtake the farm and you have to fight them back.

There is no camping for items either. If you are involved in taking down a tough mob you get a roll at loot that is separate from everyone else involved and there are 80 levels.

In WvW and 5v5 PvP however every character is bumpped up to level 80 to have an even playing field and in the 5v5 you're even given a standardized set of gear to use.

Oct 25, 2006
I'm interested to see how it plays out at least.

I've always wondered if there's truly a market demand out there for a "hardcore" MMO beyond a small handful of players.

Well, Eve Online is one of the most successful MMO's out there, and it has a good 30-60k playing at any given time.

So yeah, it does.

On a side note, my Corp has been on a suicide ganking spree on carebears. All those idiots with shiny gear and ships autopiloting. The tears of "I don't want to ever fight" players are so delicious. The universe is a dark unforgiving place, learn to play the game.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
MechWarrior Online is slated to come out this year, I wish it'd come out before GW2 since I suspect that GW2 will suck up all my free time :(

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Not griefing if you don't take simple steps to prevent the destruction of your assets.

Its like autopiloting a State Raven through Jita. You're going to get killed because you're an idiot.

i assume you're talking about eve. i'm not talking about eve.
i'm talking about real mmos where people 10+ levels higher than you gang up with their friends who are also 10+ levels higher than you and sit there and contsantly kill you because they are worthless pieces of shit in real life. PVP is where the forum trolls go to play video games. Hide behind the anonymity of the internet and be jerks and assholes because they'd get their asses kicked in real life.

Last edited:

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Interesting...do we have any idea how large the WvWvW zone is? In area?

The guys at gamebreaker.tv that played the beta said 1 single zone (WvWvW is made of 4 zones, 1 for each realm with their keep - people can invade those - plus 1 contested that holds the Stonemist Castle) is larger than Wintergrasp and not only that is much more open than it instead of being a sequence of choke points.

In terms of people each of those zones could hold 500 people split by 3 servers, for 2000 all around. They are/were planning to expand it to 1200 per zone for 4800 people total.

In this video you can get an idea of the size of it.

There are a video (that I can't find) where they just zoom out and I'm like "Supreme Commander but 3x as big!".

PS: It isn't this one I was thinking but it is a similar effect.

Last edited: