U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Phokus, no one actually taught you to stone those that don't observe the sabbath. That's what the discussion has been about. I'm aware that the bible is a ridiculous book of fairy tales. If you truly did grow up in a christian household, like I did, you'd know that it's a bunch of bullshit. No one actually believes that the bible is supposed to be followed word for word, letter for letter.

My parents certainly understood this, they said that the bible was more of a guide, not to be followed word for word. Every Christian I've ever met has said the same. I'd rather Christians be a bunch of hypocrites that don't follow the supposed "word of god" word for word.

Like I said, if you truly were taught to follow the bible word for word, your parents are extremists.

Actually, rightwing Christians think it is. The only saving grace is that they don't actually read the bible and/or have bad reading comprehension. At worst, you have the ones who believe gays are all evil sodomites who don't deserve the same rights everyone else does and abortion doctors should be slaughtered.

How many Christians do you know who will readily admit that the Bible ISN'T inerrant and full of flaws? Congrats, you found the moderate/liberal Christians.

Apr 27, 2012
Who said anything about ignoring radical islamists? The problem is this forum is conflating those radical islamists to moderate ones. If you keep isolating the moderate ones, guess what, you're going to radicalize them.

You did when you attacked innocent Christians. I never said radicals were the same as moderates, I support the MODERATES but I am against radicals

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000
The solution to your problem is build as many Gen III+ and/or IV nuke plants as needed, supplant with wind, wave, and solar as needed (I leave out hydro because of the impact it usually has to the environment, but if the impact was studied to be very small downstream, I'd be OK with that too). While that is going on, build out/improve electric grid as needed. With a dependable electric infra, you can make wholesale shifts in vehicle propulsion and not worry about demand and availability.

Once the US and our allies are at this point, and meeting the remaining petro need by ourselves and with friendly, and sane, nations, we can tell these less sane countries bye bye. It won't matter though from their perspective: India and China and the rest of the developing world will still need petro long after we're mostly off it. So the demand will be there (although not like it was when all us 1st worlders were sucking it down)...

Chuck
It may be a pipe dream for now but I would love to see advances in semiconductor and room temp superconductor technology and upgrade the power grid with those materials...how much energy is currently lost simply in the process of transmission from the source of generation to the end user?

Oh and not to get too off-topic with the energy talk, it is a horrible thing that happened with our diplomat and other staff members who were killed. Yet another reason to cut our interests in the region. I'm fairly liberal in social causes and I try to follow the "Walk a mile in another mans moccasins" to honestly understand an opposing point of view, however it comes to a point where an ideology or thought process becomes so....alien that I cannot get my mind to process that way no matter how hard I try.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Actually, rightwing Christians think it is. The only saving grace is that they don't actually read the bible and/or have bad reading comprehension. At worst, you have the ones who believe gays are all evil sodomites who don't deserve the same rights everyone else does and abortion doctors should be slaughtered.

How many Christians do you know who will readily admit that the Bible ISN'T inerrant and full of flaws? Congrats, you found the moderate/liberal Christians.

You don't even make sense anymore. This is getting comical.

Of all the arguments I have seen for relativism, yours is pretty bad.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
It may be a pipe dream for now but I would love to see advances in semiconductor and room temp superconductor technology and upgrade the power grid with those materials...how much energy is currently lost simply in the process of transmission from the source of generation to the end user?

snip

Yeah, this is what we should be laying the base so those that make things that require combustion engines can start switching to electric based power. Of course, that will require advances in battery tech, which we're seeing with Lithium, nana, etc. The thing is, if the base can't be built, then we're going to be stuck with few alternatives because Americans are still going to want a $20-$30k vehicle that has 300 mile range and can recharge to say 80% in 5 minutes or less.

We need to get to the point that parking that is used for people parking their vehicles overnight has wireless charge points built into the parking surface. No plugs, auto-negotiation for pay, etc. That's the future, the sooner we get to it the sooner we can tell the Rest of The World to kiss our @ss (bonus: We don't need World Cop military once we reach a self supporting status).

Chuck

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
phokus you need to a vacation. only you can turn a thread about a Representative of the United states getting assassinated in a foreign country into a christian bashing/hate thread.

the name calling is way over the top.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
http://wtop.com/215/3033617/Officials-Embassy-attack-in-Libya-was-coordinated

Officials believe embassy attack in Libya may have been coordinated
Wednesday - 9/12/2012, 2:18pm ET
FILE - In this Monday, April 11, 2011 file photo, U.S. envoy Chris Stevens stands in the lobby of the Tibesty Hotel where an African Union delegation was meeting with opposition leaders in Benghazi, Libya. Libyan officials say the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans have been killed in an attack on the U.S. consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi by protesters angry over a film that ridiculed Islam's Prophet Muhammad. The officials say Ambassador Chris Stevens was killed Tuesday night when he and a group of embassy employees went to the consulate to try to evacuate staff. The protesters were firing gunshots and rocket propelled grenades.(AP Photo/Ben Curtis, File)
J.J. Green, wtop.com
WASHINGTON - Intelligence experts and U.S. government officials are starting to view the attack in Libya that killed U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three others in Benghazi as a coordinated attack.

Sources including officials at the Pentagon and the State Department are discussing the possibility that it was a planned operation, and some say several developments seem to support the possibility.

The incident does not appear to be a random mob scene, but rather an opportunity that militants seized, sources say. The attackers used a rocket-propelled grenade, a weapon not traditionally carried by protesters, but commonly used by terrorists.

The attack is believed to have come in two waves. The first wave got inside of the compound, and a second wave penetrated a secure location inside the building. This development raises questions about how the attackers knew the location of that secure facility, sources say.

On Sept. 11, al-Qaida leader Ayman al-Zawahiri put out a video eulogizing Abu Yahya al-Libi, an Islamist terrorist and high-ranking al-Qaida member, who was killed in a drone attack in June. Sources have said they believe the Libyan incident might have been revenge for the death of al-Libi.

The embassy was housed in a local building that had been contracted temporarily. It was not an "Inman" compound, which is a building designed with certain security protocols, such as "standoff" distances between the public street and the actual facility.

Fred Burton, a former diplomatic security agent at the State Department, says it is the host country's responsibility to provide adequate security for all diplomats inside their country.

"One of the more problematic events that you can ever deal with is a large mob that overtakes a facility," Burton says. "You never see that in the U.S. simply because we have adequate police presence and can set up perimeters and keep rolling out the resources to counter that kind of event taking place."

Burton says it is unclear where Stevens was killed.

"Was he killed coming back to the mission or was he trying to exit the mission? Was he trying to exit the safe house that's now into play? There are a lot of unknown factors here," he says.

"You may have had a situation that deteriorated so rapidly that a snap decision was made to load up the ambassador, and 'let's get the hell out of dodge,' and they just vacated and ran into a situation where you had a perimeter set up and RPGs were fired into the limo as it was departing."

The President has ratcheted up security at embassies worldwide because of the incident.

Apr 27, 2012
phokus you need to a vacation. only you can turn a thread about a Representative of the United states getting assassinated in a foreign country into a christian bashing/hate thread.

the name calling is way over the top.

What else would you expect, bashes Christians, but nothing is said about radical Islamists :\

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
Why is it anytime people criticize the `religion of peace` that they are called racists.

I warned you guys about this stuff and pretty much everyone said I was crazy and an Islamophobe, look who was right all along

its very trendy and politically correct to bash Jews and escpecially Christians these days. if one makes a negative film, cartoons or talk negative about those religions, those individuals might not be happy about it and might even complain, but thats where it ends 99.9% of the time though.

Sad to see of the usual fringers here seemingly almost making excuses for, and walking on eggshells around this because this horrible attack was done by islamists.

Last edited:

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
Actually its not trendy. This hate has been going on for centuries all over the world.

You're correct, meant to say that these days, its become trendy escpecially among many progressives too. The last people I ever thought would ever lower to that level.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2012
?

Here, does this help you any?

m7Cyu.jpg

I believe you and everyone else who called me a crazy racist owe me an apology, I was right all along

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
The discussion is about people are taught to do, which is what you were originally responding to. Calm down for a second and reread what was originally posted.

Then you chimed in with some nonsense about killing people that work on the sabbath. While it might say that in the bible, no one is actually taught to do that. By your own admission you grew up in a Christian household, yet for some inexplicable reason you have yet to stone someone that works on the sabbath.

If you go to mostly (not all) church websites these days, most state something to the effect that they believe the Bible to be the word of God without error.

It is easy to state you believe that..and then NOT follow the teachings. People do it all the time.

We are a Christian nation filled with Christians that believe and STATE that the bible is the true, unfailing word of God, yet we fail to follow all of it's teachings on a daily basis.

It's called cognitive dissonance. We manipulate our internal belief system all the time. It isn't necessarily a bad thing (although I wonder if it is a GOOD thing)

But just because something isn't TAUGHT doesnt mean it is something UNBELIEVED.

Or at least according to <insert your generic name> church(es)

As for the OP...this dreadful incident seems to still be uncovering many facts. It will be interesting to stay on top of.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Nice! Attacking me who warned you guys instead of admitting your wrong

You warned us that there are terrorists in the Middle East, and then in your mind you seen people saying *no there are not*
And now you want us to apologize?
LOL no wonder you also think you are highly educated and make very good money

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Heh
That Fox story in the other thread tells the opposite story
Muslims try to save ambassador, get kicked in the teeth for it

"Heh"...sure didn't help him or the 4 others who also died in the attack.

There is no peace to be made or had with radical Islamic brutes.

Apr 27, 2012
You warned us that there are terrorists in the Middle East, and then in your mind you seen people saying *no there are not*
And now you want us to apologize?
LOL no wonder you also think you are highly educated and make very good money

You guys called me a racist and said I was wrong and not to worry, well look was right all along

I am highly educated and make very good money, thats why I want to end welfare and ss