U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Wow this is one of the most derailed threads of all time. Among the dead is a very noteworthy and courageous diplomat has been murdered for doing work he was truly passionate about. A US diplomat hasn't been killed in the line of duty since 1979. Very tragic and sad.

According to CNN article, this is more likely an Al Qaeda setup and attack due to the coordination and weapons involved (protest was a diversion/trap). Obama has already directed 50 marines to be shipped over. I hope they capture and bring justice to each and everyone of those people storming the consulate.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/12/world/africa/libya-us-ambassador-killed/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Last edited:

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
The point is that there's vile shit in the Bible, you idiot. When rightwingers complain about Islam being a violent religion both in the word and historical actions of Christians, so is Christianity. If Islam is a religion of violence based on the word itself, then so is Christianity. Stop conflating the religion to the way those who choose to practice it.

The discussion is about people are taught to do, which is what you were originally responding to. Calm down for a second and reread what was originally posted.

True but this so called religion of islam calls for the killing or enslaving of all non-believers. That is not the teaching of any other religion.

Islam is based on fear, hate and death.

Then you chimed in with some nonsense about killing people that work on the sabbath. While it might say that in the bible, no one is actually taught to do that. By your own admission you grew up in a Christian household, yet for some inexplicable reason you have yet to stone someone that works on the sabbath.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Who are GAY, interesting you dont mention that

?

Here, does this help you any?

m7Cyu.jpg

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
It wasnt Christians blowing themselves up because someone criticized there religion

So when Christians kill abortion doctors, defend indefensible wars in the name of Christianity, try to limit the rights of homosexuals, that is what exactly?

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
After the attack, our U.S. Embassy in Cairo responded by saying it "condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims - as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions."

Meanwhile 3 die in Libya.

That was before, honey.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Also, WHY does Incorruptible continuously confuse "Their" and "There"?! *head explodes*

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
The discussion is about people are taught to do, which is what you were originally responding to. Calm down for a second and reread what was originally posted.

Then you chimed in with some nonsense about killing people that work on the sabbath. While it might say that in the bible, no one is actually taught to do that. By your own admission you grew up in a Christian household, yet for some inexplicable reason you have yet to stone someone that works on the sabbath.

I was told that the word of the bible was the inerrant word of God. I was instructed to read through the book. And then i, as a fucking individual, decided a lot of it was bullshit. And the vast majority of Muslism also do not follow their Koran to the letter (if they did, there would be a helluva lot more violence). How hard is this for your puny brain to grasp?

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
It's ok folks, it's ok. The politicians have condemned these acts. We're going to be all right.

As I've said before, fuck Democrats, fuck Republicans, fuck Obama, fuck Romney and fuck anyone that tries to read too much into me putting Democrats before Republicans in my fuck statement.

/sigh

/sigh

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I said change your avatar. Whatever you think it represents to you, it represents something entirely different to me.

Change it, or people will die. Do you seriously want to be responsible for deaths over an act as trivial as changing your avatar?

You're asking me to ignore the points already made in my posts to join you in your apples to dates comparison?

If you have an analogy that fits, I'm all ears, otherwise this is just you clinging to something that doesn't work and I don't feel the need to play.

Read my response to Nebor, I hope that makes my position more clear to you. It applies to this news rather well, although to be completely fitting I would have had to end it with something like:

"One of the tanks exploded, killing the neighbors. My friend now thinks I don't believe in the Right to Bear Arms or Property Rights because I acknowledged the risk of a fatal explosion. Speaking up about the realistic results of that behavior somehow meant I supported the neighbors gun control positions."

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I want a recipe for separating our business from theirs. I want everyone to recognize these violent events as a call to act on that goal.

As I suggested it would be complete energy dependence. If it were not for the value of resources the ME and surrounding areas would be a curiosity.

Most people fail to see the position we put ourselves in by having them provide our economic heroin.

Apr 27, 2012
So when Christians kill abortion doctors, defend indefensible wars in the name of Christianity, try to limit the rights of homosexuals, that is what exactly?

Why are you ignoring the radical Islamists, you attack Christians but refuse to say anything else about other religions

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Why are you ignoring the radical Islamists, you attack Christians but refuse to say anything else about other religions

Who said anything about ignoring radical islamists? The problem is this forum is conflating those radical islamists to moderate ones. If you keep isolating the moderate ones, guess what, you're going to radicalize them.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Wow this is one of the most derailed threads of all time. Among the dead is a very noteworthy and courageous diplomat has been murdered for doing work he was truly passionate about. A US diplomat hasn't been killed in the line of duty since 1979. Very tragic and sad.

According to CNN article, this is more likely an Al Qaeda setup and attack due to the coordination and weapons involved (protest was a diversion/trap). Obama has already directed 50 marines to be shipped over. I hope they capture and bring justice to each and everyone of those people storming the consulate.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/12/world/africa/libya-us-ambassador-killed/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Um, you sure about that? I presume you meant Ambassadors because it sounds like you are referring to Dubs being assassinated by the KGB.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Um, you sure about that? I presume you meant Ambassadors because it sounds like you are referring to Dubs being assassinated by the KGB.

Meant to say Ambassador. Thanks for pointing that out.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
I was told that the word of the bible was the inerrant word of God. I was instructed to read through the book. And then i, as a fucking individual, decided a lot of it was bullshit. And the vast majority of Muslism also do not follow their Koran to the letter (if they did, there would be a helluva lot more violence). How hard is this for your puny brain to grasp?

So no one actually taught (remember this was the original point that you were responding to) you to stone people that work on the sabbath? If you were taught to read the entire bible and follow every single word to the letter, then your parents are extreme radicals and that goes a long way to explain why you act the way you do.

But of course you originally said that you just read the bible on your own, so now you're just making shit up.

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000
I'm going to make my energy sales pitch again.

From now on all public lands drilled for oil will be done on a cost plus fee basis and every drop consumed here. Domestic oil produced anywhere within our borders not be shipped overseas to keep prices propped up. A portion of the feel will be used for a Manhattan type program dedicated to producing energy alternatives completely free from the price pressures of current production and most definitely to remove our dependency on foreign oil and that includes price fluctuations by limiting supply. The money from the proceeds of oil production are awarded on merit to various public and private groups with the caveat that the US government holds in trust any intellectual property. This will be licensed to public or private entities without charge for domestic use only. Any foreign use will be restricted and a royalty paid. Our allies get a preferred rate over others. The ME and other hostile regions can suck eggs.

Yep it's radical, but I'm tired of being tied to nut cases.

Yeah I know each time I have to fill my gas tank i have in the back of mind "how much of this money is going to organizations and societies with little to no human rights". Interesting proposal to say the least, even though I would like for us to get weaned from fossil fuels sooner than later no viable alternative exists for the moment on a grand scale. Along with a "Manhattan Project" also have an "X Prize" like NASA did with space vehicles to encourage entrepreneurs and bright minds to work on renewable sources of energy and improvements on energy storage.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
So no one actually taught (remember this was the original point that you were responding to) you to stone people that work on the sabbath? If you were taught to read the entire bible and follow every single word to the letter, then your parents are extreme radicals and that goes a long way to explain why you act the way you do.

But of course you originally said that you just read the bible on your own, so now you're just making shit up.

Believe what you want. The belief that the bible is the inerrant word of god is widespread among all but the most liberal of christian sects, you idiot. When i said i 'read the bible on my own', i meant, i did it on my own time as instructed rather than going to church or to fellowship to read with others, you fucking imbecile.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Believe what you want. The belief that the bible is the inerrant word of god is widespread among all but the most liberal of christian sects, you idiot. When i said i 'read the bible on my own', i meant, i did it on my own time as instructed rather than going to church or to fellowship to read with others, you fucking imbecile.

So you weren't actually taught to stone people that work on the sabbath. Well that's good, because no one else is either.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
So you weren't actually taught to stone people that work on the sabbath. Well that's good, because no one else is either.

I was taught that the bible is the inerrant word of god. So therefore i was 'taught' that everything in the bible is 'right'. THEREFORE, i was 'taught' that you're supposed to stone those who don't observe the Sabbath.

You really are this stupid aren't you.

Nov 30, 2006
I would not call most of those denominations, Christians at all
I believe a true Christian would be a Pacifist like Jesus
But there is like literally thousands and thousands of books on the subject
If you want to see Christians acting like savages you just look in the same places where violence is an everyday thing.

Meanwhile here is some reading material

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_violence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God%27s_Army_(revolutionary_group)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord's_Resistance_Army

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National-Christian_Defense_League

I don't think I need to link to Catholics and pedophiles do I?
I asked you how many of those 38,000 Christian demoninations teach stoning of those who violate the Sabbath? Since you completely diverted, I must assume that the answer to the question is zero. Thank you for being "honest" and helping support my point.

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Yeah I know each time I have to fill my gas tank i have in the back of mind "how much of this money is going to organizations and societies with little to no human rights". Interesting proposal to say the least, even though I would like for us to get weaned from fossil fuels sooner than later no viable alternative exists for the moment on a grand scale. Along with a "Manhattan Project" also have an "X Prize" like NASA did with space vehicles to encourage entrepreneurs and bright minds to work on renewable sources of energy and improvements on energy storage.

That's perfect. So what if we make someone a billionaire if he or she found a cheap, clean, and long lasting energy source?

We need to be looking at energy like we looked at WWII. We don't need to engage every resource, but from a point of imperative it's not far off. Developing countries are going to drive up demand which drives up cost and no conservation measures can substitute for raw power needs. It does not mean abandon it, but it is not an answer, merely a delaying tactic.

I'm going to engage in a hypothetical here so take it for what it's worth. Suppose a means could be found to make a bbl of oils energy for $10.

What would that do? It would immediately slash the cost of transportation, manufacturing, just about everything. Energy is a basic need an it's costs trickle up through the economy. If it's made, grown or moved, the cost is linked to energy to some degree. If there is a long chain of production then the costs are magnified. From mining ore to applying wax, the total energy need to make a car are not insignificant. Immediately our products cost less. That can result in domestic job and wage growth and giving a competitive edge in global markets. Politically we are freed from the ME and other unstable regions. Lives saved and wars unfought.

Freedom from political turmoil, a better lifestyle for us and others, a return to global competitiveness.

It's not just about a buck saved at the pump.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
I was taught that the bible is the inerrant word of god. So therefore i was 'taught' that everything in the bible is 'right'. THEREFORE, i was 'taught' that you're supposed to stone those who don't observe the Sabbath.

You really are this stupid aren't you.

Phokus, no one actually taught you to stone those that don't observe the sabbath. That's what the discussion has been about. I'm aware that the bible is a ridiculous book of fairy tales. If you truly did grow up in a christian household, like I did, you'd know that it's a bunch of bullshit. No one actually believes that the bible is supposed to be followed word for word, letter for letter.

My parents certainly understood this, they said that the bible was more of a guide, not to be followed word for word. Every Christian I've ever met has said the same. I'd rather Christians be a bunch of hypocrites that don't follow the supposed "word of god" word for word.

Like I said, if you truly were taught to follow the bible word for word, your parents are extremists.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
That's perfect. So what if we make someone a billionaire if he or she found a cheap, clean, and long lasting energy source?

We need to be looking at energy like we looked at WWII. We don't need to engage every resource, but from a point of imperative it's not far off. Developing countries are going to drive up demand which drives up cost and no conservation measures can substitute for raw power needs. It does not mean abandon it, but it is not an answer, merely a delaying tactic.

I'm going to engage in a hypothetical here so take it for what it's worth. Suppose a means could be found to make a bbl of oils energy for $10.

What would that do? It would immediately slash the cost of transportation, manufacturing, just about everything. Energy is a basic need an it's costs trickle up through the economy. If it's made, grown or moved, the cost is linked to energy to some degree. If there is a long chain of production then the costs are magnified. From mining ore to applying wax, the total energy need to make a car are not insignificant. Immediately our products cost less. That can result in domestic job and wage growth and giving a competitive edge in global markets. Politically we are freed from the ME and other unstable regions. Lives saved and wars unfought.

Freedom from political turmoil, a better lifestyle for us and others, a return to global competitiveness.

It's not just about a buck saved at the pump.

The solution to your problem is build as many Gen III+ and/or IV nuke plants as needed, supplant with wind, wave, and solar as needed (I leave out hydro because of the impact it usually has to the environment, but if the impact was studied to be very small downstream, I'd be OK with that too). While that is going on, build out/improve electric grid as needed. With a dependable electric infra, you can make wholesale shifts in vehicle propulsion and not worry about demand and availability.

Once the US and our allies are at this point, and meeting the remaining petro need by ourselves and with friendly, and sane, nations, we can tell these less sane countries bye bye. It won't matter though from their perspective: India and China and the rest of the developing world will still need petro long after we're mostly off it. So the demand will be there (although not like it was when all us 1st worlders were sucking it down)...

Chuck