Trump wants to send cheques to the American people ASAP.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
If a Democrat was in the WH this would have been framed as "buying votes" within 10 seconds of the first whisper about it.

I love Trump as president and yes you are exactly 1000% correct.

This is one thing that I hate about both sides. I tell my Trump supporting friends, that if Obama was president and did exactly what Trump has done to mitigate this virus that you would be complaining and saying every bad thing you could about it.

If Obama did what Trump did concerning Ukraine, the republicans would have wanted his head on a stick and the democrats would be saying that it was the "perfect" call.

I know this will always happen between political parties, but what I see as most detrimental to all of this is that I truly believe that the vast majority of the press plays political favorites instead of being critical of both sides when they're wrong.

I also sometimes wonder if America would be better off if we were not allowed to differentiate candidates by Republican or Democrat, but simply by their opinions on issues. No democrats or republicans, just candidates.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I don't think our federal government has a choice now. Most people are going to be hurting. How many people were living paycheck to paycheck before this virus took hold in America? Wasn't it 74% or higher? How many people were living above their means? Buying crap they can't afford. Put it all on credit! Most people are going to be screwed IMO. This is a short term solution to a very big issue. This isn't nothing yet. Wait for another 3 months. People are going to be hurting. I can easily see high forclosure on homes. Cars repossed in mass. The money will help, but we need other solutions. The government can't be giving out money forever.

I was thinking about state pensions. This virus incident is going to harm tax dollars in a huge way. There is no way around this. We alread had a pension crisis before this event. Now? It's going th be really bad with the way things are going. That's for another discussion. I know. :)

Reactions: nOOky

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

This is one thing that I hate about both sides. I tell my Trump supporting friends, that if Obama was president and did exactly what Trump has done to mitigate this virus that you would be complaining and saying every bad thing you could about it.

If Obama did what Trump did concerning Ukraine, the republicans would have wanted his head on a stick and the democrats would be saying that it was the "perfect" call.

I know this will always happen between political parties, but what I see as most detrimental to all of this is that I truly believe that the vast majority of the press plays political favorites instead of being critical of both sides when they're wrong.

I also sometimes wonder if America would be better off if we were not allowed to differentiate candidates by Republican or Democrat, but simply by their opinions on issues. No democrats or republicans, just candidates.

Project often? Invoke imaginary scenarios to avoid dealing with reality?

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
mortgages and rent need to be postponed for a few months. banks can float that for a few months.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

The bolded is an assertion without evidence. We can see the Republicans are defending the "perfect call." You assume the Democrats would have done the same if the roles were reversed, yet the Democrats called for Franken (for example) to immediately resign for what amounted to a joke 30 years ago.

Reactions: snoopy7548

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Been almost 48hrs, where's MY MONEY?
Those darn evil heathen child eatin' devil worshiping intergalactic demoncrats shot it down!

As these republican UBIs will open the doors to the 30-50 loan/banks/irs feral hogs to prey on your cash! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

So you mean popular vote? Cool beans.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Bump the Cruise industry.
Most of those are registered in foreign countries?

Yep! Screw the cruise ship industry. Let their registered countries bail them out.

This is just one of the problems with bailouts. The government shouldn't pick the winners and losers. I still think this is about the best idea... And yeah one of the restrictions should be that you are US based. If your based elsewhere, why the hell would we be the ones to do anything for you?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It would be a lot cheaper to forgive every student loan and offer free college education..

Reactions: Meghan54

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Fox is coining it The Mitch McConnel relief plan now... 1200$ for every voter...
Are they insane?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

It is freaking awesome how you're bothsidesing even as your side robs the country blind.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Why am I not surprised lol they want to give note corporate tax cuts! I am speechless.

NYT live feed so can't really link to direct spot.

RIGHT NOW
Senate Republicans unveiled an economic rescue plan that would provide hundreds of billions of dollars worth of loans to big corporations and small businesses, large corporate tax cuts and checks of $1,200 for taxpayers, as well as limits on a paid leave program.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
I'm seeing something about a $1,200 check for anyone who makes $75k or less. Not sure of all the details and if it tapers based on income.

Either way, I think the concept of scaling by paycheck to not be the best of ideas since we have HCOL areas and such... Plus, imagine that you get paid $80k a year, but get fired a month from now after the virus continues to shit on the economy....

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
I'm seeing something about a $1,200 check for anyone who makes $75k or less. Not sure of all the details and if it tapers based on income.

Either way, I think the concept of scaling by paycheck to not be the best of ideas since we have HCOL areas and such... Plus, imagine that you get paid $80k a year, but get fired a month from now after the virus continues to shit on the economy....

I'm guessing they're going to do the same thing as 2008 and put a floor and a ceiling. As with 2008, it'll probably exclude the worst off and university students who didn't work.