Trump vacation tracker 1 in 5

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Every teacher I've known works through the summer so they don't die of starvation :|

But yes, having 'breaks' or even long-duration vacations is pretty unheard of. I'm in a job that gets a ~week free for Xmas-NY and it's the first I've heard of it. Overall our work-life balance is very skewed toward work.
Or spend the time in school to satisfy ever increasing credit requirements.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
i guess you are a fat cat, teachers make good money to me....i live in california....kids well i guess they are as expensive as you make them....i think a average nice house is 300k here. Maybe i make double what a teacher does but even if i made 40,000 a year i would still be able to take a vacation in europe....i buy my cars on craigslist with cash and low miles, you prob buy yours from a car lot and make payments (4x the price im sure)....we all make our choices...
Wow. The disconnect from the rest of reality shown by these statements...a lot of incorrect assumptions, I think.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Those are some seriously strong assumptions, and ironically coming from someone living in CA.

Most teachers start in the 30's-40's. Long-term career teachers can make in the 60's, higher if you're a coach. For the record, my sister-in-law has a masters (and the debt that comes with it) and was making 40's in SC, and she was considered well-paid due to her degree. Your notion that they start at $60-$75k is laughable.

Yes, children are as expensive as you make them, but there is a minimum, and most people that have children will agree that the minimum is still pretty goddamned expensive.

You just said you made double what a teacher does, and you think teachers make 60-75k, which means you are making 120-150k. I don't know if you're married/living with someone else, nor if that salary reflects household income vs personal income, but you're well above the average income for any US family, even with the 120-150k (unless you live specifically in SF, or NYC I suppose).

A europe vacation is probably going to start you in the thousands, even if low thousands. That's out of reach for most people, myself included. My most recent vehicle purchase was an '07 Tundra with zero rust and 140k miles, which I got for a song at 14k (given my area). It was about double what I was trying to spend, but I needed 4WD for winter driving.

Yes, we make our choices, but not everyone that's not making 150k/yr is making shit choices. Sometimes shit's just expensive. You've lost sight of it because you're already living in the tower (actual or figurative) you bought.

Citations:
AVG:
Starting:

$72,067

The average Public School Teacher salary in Fremont, CA is $72,067 as of November 25, 2019, but the range typically falls between $62,916 and $83,199.

you cant afford low thousands for a vacation? children are really not expensive at all. what is the most expensive part about them? increased insurance premiums? extra season passes to disneyland? having to buy a bigger SUV to haul them around along with gas milage to go with that.. well sorry you are down on your luck i assumed most people made more than me around here, i work really hard for the $$.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
you cant afford low thousands for a vacation? children are really not expensive at all. what is the most expensive part about them? increased insurance premiums? extra season passes to disneyland?

You are very obviously NOT a parent. And obviously have no fucking clue...

Edit: trying to use CA teacher salaries as a baseline or 'avg' for teacher wages in the US is super-laughable, btw...they don't really get much higher than in YOUR location

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
You are very obviously NOT a parent. And obviously have no fucking clue...
you obviously know nothing about the 5 children i have raised ;) the worst part is having to have giant SUV and pay the gas milage that goes along with it. having to buy 6 plane tickets when traveling overseas (500$ a ticket round trip to asia or europe) like i said we all choose to spendmoney different ways,

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
you obviously know nothing about the 5 children i have raised ;)
Yeah. I don't buy it. Not with those statements or beliefs about cost of raising them. It's laughable. You might as well claim that a 200ft yacht isn't expensive either, "as long as you know where to get it". GTFO here.

Feb 4, 2009
Wow. The disconnect from the rest of reality shown by these statements...a lot of incorrect assumptions, I think.

Agreed, $40k post taxes is around $30k. $1200 in medical expenses/life insurance minus $1k in car bills/insurance. Minus minimum $12k yearly rent or mortgage payment. That leaves around $16k or $1,300 per month for food, clothes, housing expenses and all expenses related to getting to work. Everyone has different expectations for vacation maybe his are very meager while in Europe.
**assuming retirement needs to be funded minus $5-8k off the top**

Reminds me of the guy on these forums who claimed to feed a family of four on $8.00 per day. Simply not possible unless you only eat cheap dried ramen noodle or work at a place that give you free food. Basically less than 70 cents a meal.

Reactions: ch33zw1z and Pohemi

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Yeah. I don't buy it. Not with those statements or beliefs about cost of raising them. It's laughable. You might as well claim that a 200ft yacht isn't expensive either, "as long as you know where to get it". GTFO here.
you seem really hyped up with out sharing your own personal experience. i think if you have to pay for child care, or have some unhealthy kids then yes it could add up very fast, i dont pay any child care so i am fortunate with that. food yea it could be expensive or could be cheap. My sons wear my old clothes and shoes :) how cool is that? we all shop at costco after 3 kids insurance premiums dont even go up so that really isnt a factor either. The worst part is seriously hauling them around on vacation need a giant bus after a while. sorry you dont have a brain to figure out how to be efficient or you are to fancy i dont know what it is.. maybe you spend lots on drugs idk. i dont drink or eat out or spend on video games or even have cable tv for the past 14 years..

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Agreed, $40k post taxes is around $30k. $1200 in medical expenses/life insurance minus $1k in car bills/insurance. Minus minimum $12k yearly rent or mortgage payment. That leaves around $16k or $1,300 per month for food, clothes, housing expenses and all expenses related to getting to work. Everyone has different expectations for vacation maybe his are very meager while in Europe.

Reminds me of the guy on these forums who claimed to feed a family of four on $8.00 per day. Simply not possible unless you only eat cheap dried ramen noodle or work at a place that give you free food. Basically less than 70 cents a meal.
why would you pay 10k in taxes if you have 4 kids and make 40K? HAHA get real

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
$72,067

The average Public School Teacher salary in Fremont, CA is $72,067 as of November 25, 2019, but the range typically falls between $62,916 and $83,199.

you cant afford low thousands for a vacation? children are really not expensive at all. what is the most expensive part about them? increased insurance premiums? extra season passes to disneyland? having to buy a bigger SUV to haul them around along with gas milage to go with that.. well sorry you are down on your luck i assumed most people made more than me around here, i work really hard for the $$.

This line alone just shows me how out of touch with reality you are.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Project much? I am not defending Trump at all in my response. What I am doing however, is when the republicans had this same post about Obama you guys jumped to his defense. Now you are on the attack. I just find it very entertaining watching the clowns on both sides play the game of tug of war... Wasting your energy in the process.
View attachment 15190

Bullshit. What happened was that, after GW spent more than a third of his entire Presidency on vacation, and the Republicans didn't care one bit about that, the Democrats didn't find the Republicans' concern about Obama's far fewer vacation days to be genuine.

What I find entertaining is that obvious partisan extremists somehow believe that their obvious partisan lies aren't obvious.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
What is your approximate household income?

Also property taxes hello, taxes on your car(s).
Calling someone on dishonesty isn't "being hyped up".

Sorry you can't be honest about the cost of living and raising kids, simply to support your bullshit argument.
This line alone just shows me how out of touch with reality you are.
Average rent in Fremont CA is a little more than $2,400 per month.
We will assume he is under value at $25k per year.
serious you all can say this and that but when i ask what the most expensive part about kids you say NOTHING. seriously the most expensive part (besides childcare that i dont need or payfor) is when you go out and do EXTRA STUFF. Example, wednesday when we go snowboarding, i must buy 5 lift tickets (serious drag 3 days lift ticket is 170$ each) we are going to bring peanut butter jelly sandwiches and milk for our food we bought all of our boards and equipment off ebay / lake tahoe thrift store / craigslist. 2 of the kids will be watched by their mother in law. So instead of just saying im out of touch with reality why dont you say whats so expensive about raising your kids? the tuition for college? SUre if you pay for them to live somewhere else and study but they will be forced into what i want them to do when that time comes. (2 years of college work in the medical field and pay for their own schooling after that with a job)

wow taxes on cars hmmm i own 5 cars but 3 are non op status (going to donate for tax write offs soon and give one to eldest child) so they cost nothing. giant suv is 120 a year and 4 door sedan is same price for registration. car insurance is 1000$ a year for the both cars but i think i can lower it down since i dont really need full coverage.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
serious you all can say this and that but when i ask what the most expensive part about kids you say NOTHING. seriously the most expensive part (besides childcare that i dont need or payfor) is when you go out and do EXTRA STUFF. Example, wednesday when we go snowboarding, i must buy 5 lift tickets (serious drag 3 days lift ticket is 170$ each) we are going to bring peanut butter jelly sandwiches and milk for our food we bought all of our boards and equipment off ebay / lake tahoe thrift store / craigslist. 2 of the kids will be watched by their mother in law. So instead of just saying im out of touch with reality why dont you say whats so expensive about raising your kids? the tuition for college? SUre if you pay for them to live somewhere else and study but they will be forced into what i want them to do when that time comes. (2 years of college work in the medical field and pay for their own schooling after that with a job)

wow taxes on cars hmmm i own 5 cars but 3 are non op status (going to donate for tax write offs soon and give one to eldest child) so they cost nothing. giant suv is 120 a year and 4 door sedan is same price for registration. car insurance is 1000$ a year for the both cars but i think i can lower it down since i dont really need full coverage.

What’s your approximate household income?

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
So you are telling someone who makes roughly 1/3rd what you make how to budget for multi week vacations?
Basic math man, if you spend 3% of what you make that is around $4 to 5k.
Someone making $40k 3% is $1.2k
i have gone to europe when i made 25,000 a year right out of high school. i spent 300$ for round trip ticket back then camped and stayed in hostels., it was a amazingly fun time went to over 12 countries and spent less than 2000 total on that trip. LIke i said you dont know how to spend money, you think there is only one way to do things. hostel was 20$ a night at the MOST, camped in germany netherlands scottland ireland switzerland italy france just off the top of my head. ate 99% of the time from grocery stores meat and cheese and veggies. Whats your life like that you cant do anything on a budget. i did also stay with friends and family in scottland and amsterdam (they insisted) but really the only expensive part was renting the vw wagon and taking a ferry from england to Belgium

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
i have gone to europe when i made 25,000 a year right out of high school. i spent 300$ for round trip ticket back then camped and stayed in hostels., it was a amazingly fun time went to over 12 countries and spent less than 2000 total on that trip. LIke i said you dont know how to spend money, you think there is only one way to do things. hostel was 20$ a night at the MOST, camped in germany netherlands scottland ireland switzerland italy france just off the top of my head. ate 99% of the time from grocery stores meat and cheese and veggies. Whats your life like that you cant do anything on a budget. i did also stay with friends and family in scottland and amsterdam (they insisted) but really the only expensive part was renting the vw wagon and taking a ferry from england to Belgium

Try that now with your full family. You'd be dropping close to 10 grand on the flights alone...

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
...i made 25,000 a year right out of high school. i spent 300$ for round trip ticket back then camped and stayed in hostels...
Okay so how many decades ago was this? And compared to today...how many 18 year olds do you think score a job straight out of HS making 25k+ a year? Decades after you did? Do you think someone can buy an overseas roundtrip ticket for $300 now?

:rolleyes:
Out of touch.
"I budget on a razor's edge and everyone else can live just like me and my $150k/yr salary."

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Okay so how many decades ago was this? And compared to today...how many 18 year olds do you think score a job straight out of HS making 25k+ a year? Decades after you did? Do you think someone can buy an overseas roundtrip ticket for $300 now?

:rolleyes:
Out of touch.
"I budget on a razor's edge and everyone else can live just like me and my $150k/yr salary."
you just make yourself sound so STUPID, look at the google flights link i posted its 337$ per person for the flight round trip to england. then here is a link 7 passengers from london to rome..
another 400$ for all 7 people. SO WHAT NOW..

320$ each for 7 people from SFO to london round trip.. total flight cost 2283$, SO Funny how you people say 10,000$ maybe if you spent less on your weed / drugs and drinking you could afford to take a vacation. Still im waiting for your profound experience with children expenses but to bad you say nothing other than im lying.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
have you ever heard of google flights? https://www.google.com/flights?hl=e...4jpl.SFO.2020-03-26;c:USD;e:1;px:4,3;sd:1;t:f

its almost like you people have never traveled before. welcome to reality this thing called google you should try it before talking about things you have 0 experience with.

10 Grand may have been a slight exaggeration, but picking an airport near me, like Milwaukee or Chicago, bumps that to 4-5k. A multiple week vacation to Europe for a family of 7 on $40k income isn't very realistic. You have a point about frugal living, but a trip to Europe definitely isn't frugal living in this scenario.

Feb 4, 2009
Okay let’s do some math.

Going into a tough area because I don’t ski.

Let’s assume 4 people are going. I assume ski equipment rentals go $25 per day, I assume lift ticket is another $25, let’s roll with $10 per person in food. That’s $240 without housing. I’ll assume some cheap rental can be found for $60 per night. $300 per day minimum. If you have a $1200 budget there can be no travel or gifts or anything else. You have a 4 night vacation.
No way someone making $40k per year just has skiing equipment just lying around.

What I’m saying....and I hate saying it....check your privilege @killster1
You have done well for yourself and sounds like you provide and care for your family well. Congratulations, keep in mind many others cannot March what you have such as multi week vacations, few thousand spare money to spend.