Trump vacation tracker 1 in 5

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
you only take 20 days off a year? wowowoowow i feel bad for you, maybe you make alot more money then me but i take a minimum of 12 weeks off a year, 4 weeks in Europe this year 10 weeks in asia, going to asia for another 6 weeks in march/april then taking the whole month of October off for my birthday :)
4 weeks of vaca in the USA is hard to come by. Let alone 12. That would be very unusual or even unheard of in America.

Reactions: Pohemi
Feb 4, 2009
you only take 20 days off a year? wowowoowow i feel bad for you, maybe you make alot more money then me but i take a minimum of 12 weeks off a year, 4 weeks in Europe this year 10 weeks in asia, going to asia for another 6 weeks in march/april then taking the whole month of October off for my birthday :)

Vacation days is what you am talking about.
You do very well in that area congratulations.
What I am saying is we should all expect minimum 200 days a year of work from out Congress critters & Presidents.
Ideally 250 days of work.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
4 weeks of vaca in the USA is hard to come by. Let alone 12. That would be very unusual or even unheard of in America.

every single teacher gets the entire summer off. if its so unusual or unheard of maybe you dont talk to very many people? (how long is the summer 8 weeks?

Feb 4, 2009
are you saying the president of the united states is a petty little bitch?

I’m saying he is a weasely middle manager. I’ve been in so many meetings with people who act like they work 7 days a week. NONE of them do, they just talk like they do.

• Haha

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
every single teacher gets the entire summer off. if its so unusual or unheard of maybe you dont talk to very many people? (how long is the summer 8 weeks?

You're correct, I don't interface with teachers that much. The ones I do talk to from time to time have summer gigs / kids to take care of. They dont really consider that vacation in a "I'm gonna travel the world and have months of me time" kinda way

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Every teacher I've known works through the summer so they don't die of starvation :|

But yes, having 'breaks' or even long-duration vacations is pretty unheard of. I'm in a job that gets a ~week free for Xmas-NY and it's the first I've heard of it. Overall our work-life balance is very skewed toward work.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Vacation days is what you am talking about.
You do very well in that area congratulations.
What I am saying is we should all expect minimum 200 days a year of work from out Congress critters & Presidents.
Ideally 250 days of work.
im sure he did work everyday he was on vacation, just check his tweeter account hahahah non stop bs coming from it im sure. just because someone isnt at the white house doesnt mean cant get stuff done. like when he went to Ukraine they call that a vacation! he was working on blackmail very hard..

• Haha

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Every teacher I've known works through the summer so they don't die of starvation :|

But yes, having 'breaks' or even long-duration vacations is pretty unheard of. I'm in a job that gets a ~week free for Xmas-NY and it's the first I've heard of it. Overall our work-life balance is very skewed toward work.
well maybe all of you are super jealous of working 5 days a week forever and doing nothing fun for your measly 2 weeks off :) everyone i know takes off and actually does things for vacations, especially teachers none of them work during the summer they all make OK money, you still get paid during the summer they divide your checks out for 12 months lulz taking care of kids? summer gigs? haha take your kids along duh thats not a job

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
well maybe all of you are super jealous of working 5 days a week forever and doing nothing fun for your measly 2 weeks off :) everyone i know takes off and actually does this for vacations, especially teachers none of them work during the summer they all make OK money, you still get paid during the summer they divide your checks out for 12 months lulz taking care of kids? summer gigs? haha take your kids along duh thats not a job

Haha, it's good you have it that well. Consider that most Americans don't. Unions kept employee pay and benefits held to a pretty good standard, but unionized employees have dropped drastically in 40 years.

Count your blessings, as many many people don't have it that good, especially in a service related position

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
well maybe all of you are super jealous of working 5 days a week forever and doing nothing fun for your measly 2 weeks off :) everyone i know takes off and actually does this for vacations, especially teachers none of them work during the summer they all make OK money, you still get paid during the summer they divide your checks out for 12 months lulz taking care of kids? summer gigs? haha take your kids along duh thats not a job
Sorry, to clarify, in the US teachers make trash pay, and like most Americans live pretty close to paycheck-to-paycheck. Travel in the US usually means somewhere in-state, or maybe a nearby-state, not long-distance due to cost. Most Americans can't really afford to 'vacation' much, unless again, it's near enough to drive and maybe some short-time in a hotel.

Also, kids are shockingly expensive in the US, child care can easily approach the cost of a second mortgage in most locales. Most jobs do not permit one to bring their child with them to work as well.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Sorry, to clarify, in the US teachers make trash pay, and like most Americans live pretty close to paycheck-to-paycheck. Travel in the US usually means somewhere in-state, or maybe a nearby-state, not long-distance due to cost. Most Americans can't really afford to 'vacation' much, unless again, it's near enough to drive and maybe some short-time in a hotel.

Also, kids are shockingly expensive in the US, child care can easily approach the cost of a second mortgage in most locales. Most jobs do not permit one to bring their child with them to work as well.

I guess I didn't piece this together, killster not in U.S.?

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007

i guess you are a fat cat, teachers make good money to me.. i live in california and i think they prob start at 60k-75k? kids well i guess they are as expensive as you make them, they dont need gold shoes or horse riding classes. Of course i dont live in SF where the houses cost 1 or 2 million i think a average nice house is 300k here. Maybe i make double what a teacher does but even if i made 40,000 a year i would still be able to take a vacation in europe, once again you dont need to stay in the king suite and eat caviar, they have metro passes and grocery stores too you know. we all choose to spend our money on different things. i buy my cars on craigslist with cash and low miles ((honda accord 10,000 miles for 13,000$)) , you prob buy yours from a car lot and make payments (4x the price im sure) we all make our choices. (i buy my clothes from ebay or the thrift shop too!) hahaha still wear nike vapormax and levi's but i surely dont pay top dollar for anything.

• Haha

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007

i never said that, rent is not expensive here and cost of living is what? gas prices? food prices? costco costco costco? gas is 3.33 last time i filled up, the price of a tbone is 2.30 a pound :0 only expensive thing is ski lift tickets! jeez was like 330$ a year for disneyland season pass and 500 for lift tickets ;( and have alot of passes to buy too not just myself. plane tickets all around europe for 2 people with 6 flights from SFO to ireland italy london france 1400$

stupid obama closed down all of Yosemite for fathers day one year, that really sucked for me after driving there to find out its closed because some selfish president wanted to have a fathers day picknick, ruined it for thousands of people.

• Haha

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
i never said that, rent is not expensive here and cost of living is what? gas prices? food prices? costco costco costco?
It was mostly a joke in reference to the relative cost compared to the rest of the lower 48 states.

Nov 17, 2019
I didn't even usually take the normal paid two weeks off. Some years I did. Most years I worked through them or only took a few days. Collecting that extra two week pay check at the end of the year was better in my view.

When I get to the WH, I'll probably order AF1 mothballed since I'll have no need for it.

Juiblex

Banned
Sep 26, 2016
The important difference is the President went out of his way to say his predecessor vacationed too much, he also stated he will be too busy to vacation. The President is on track to exceed all other recent Presidents in total vacation time.
This is the difference, I would argue you are doing exactly what is in that gif.

I already mentioned on post #2 that Trump is a hypocrite. Thanks for validating me.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
i guess you are a fat cat, teachers make good money to me.. i live in california and i think they prob start at 60k-75k? kids well i guess they are as expensive as you make them, they dont need gold shoes or horse riding classes. Of course i dont live in SF where the houses cost 1 or 2 million i think a average nice house is 300k here. Maybe i make double what a teacher does but even if i made 40,000 a year i would still be able to take a vacation in europe, once again you dont need to stay in the king suite and eat caviar, they have metro passes and grocery stores too you know. we all choose to spend our money on different things. i buy my cars on craigslist with cash and low miles ((honda accord 10,000 miles for 13,000$)) , you prob buy yours from a car lot and make payments (4x the price im sure) we all make our choices. (i buy my clothes from ebay or the thrift shop too!) hahaha still wear nike vapormax and levi's but i surely dont pay top dollar for anything.
Those are some seriously strong assumptions, and ironically coming from someone living in CA.

Most teachers start in the 30's-40's. Long-term career teachers can make in the 60's, higher if you're a coach. For the record, my sister-in-law has a masters (and the debt that comes with it) and was making 40's in SC, and she was considered well-paid due to her degree. Your notion that they start at $60-$75k is laughable.

Yes, children are as expensive as you make them, but there is a minimum, and most people that have children will agree that the minimum is still pretty goddamned expensive.

You just said you made double what a teacher does, and you think teachers make 60-75k, which means you are making 120-150k. I don't know if you're married/living with someone else, nor if that salary reflects household income vs personal income, but you're well above the average income for any US family, even with the 120-150k (unless you live specifically in SF, or NYC I suppose).

A europe vacation is probably going to start you in the thousands, even if low thousands. That's out of reach for most people, myself included. My most recent vehicle purchase was an '07 Tundra with zero rust and 140k miles, which I got for a song at 14k (given my area). It was about double what I was trying to spend, but I needed 4WD for winter driving.

Yes, we make our choices, but not everyone that's not making 150k/yr is making shit choices. Sometimes shit's just expensive. You've lost sight of it because you're already living in the tower (actual or figurative) you bought.

Citations:
AVG:
Starting:

• Love