News Trump: Mar-a-Lago just raided by FBI

Page 224 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 11, 2004
I agree that it is absolutely insane that there even needs to be a debate over if the president can commit unlimited crimes. Democrats need to take the corruption of the court far, far more seriously than they are.

That would require Americans actually doing that, and probably 40% of the country thinks such blatant corruption is actually good.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
From my understanding that would be difficult to do as that’s not where the crime was committed.
I remember it being discussed back then, but I thought most people thought it could've been an either or. But Jack Smith likely picked southern Florida to avoid the delay from a change of venue motion. But Judge Cannon is going make sure it's delayed far more than that would have.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I think the fear is that some states might keep candidates off the ballot for unreasonable reasons. While those work though the courts it could be overcome by events. Ideally the SC would come out say if Trump if fit to hold office and it would apply nationwide but they can't rule they way they want without looking like fools.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
When the courts become corrupted only the two other branches together can fix things. When the election process becomes corrupted such that the majority party can’t win elections we wind up with the tyranny of the minority. We have a department of Justice where republicans investigate both Democrats and Republicans accused of crimes. How is that working out. We had 5 SC justices, Comey, Hur, Mueller, and Trump, fuck over the country. We have Cannon now in Florida.

The media has its eye on profit. Keep the game interesting. Cover both sides as if nothing really matters. It’s all just a game to which it can sell tickets. We walk backward off a cliff.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
From my understanding that would be difficult to do as that’s not where the crime was committed.
Actually the crime was committed in DC, where the papers were stolen. I haven't read the particular statutes involved but I'm guessing they give the government the choice where to bring the action-where the defendant lives or where the crime occured.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Actually the crime was committed in DC, where the papers were stolen. I haven't read the particular statutes involved but I'm guessing they give the government the choice where to bring the action-where the defendant lives or where the crime occured.
Generally speaking it has to be where the crime occurred. (Like if you live in Oklahoma and shoot someone in NYC they don’t try you in Oklahoma.)

The crime isn’t actually the removal, as removals happen all the time, it is the WILLFUL and unauthorized retention of those documents. It could be very difficult to prove Trump knew they were being removed in DC (even though we all know he did). It’s not at all hard to prove for Florida.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
This is why this man should not have been anywhere near the White House and why he can't be there again.

Meh, Czar Bomba wouldn't have the effect Trump alludes to. It is possible to build a bomb powerful enough to have effects from NYC to South Carolina as there is no theoretical limit on the size of an H-bomb. But it would be very large and very, very heavy. One would likely have to assemble it in place.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Meh, Czar Bomba wouldn't have the effect Trump alludes to. It is possible to build a bomb powerful enough to have effects from NYC to South Carolina as there is no theoretical limit on the size of an H-bomb. But it would be very large and very, very heavy. One would likely have to assemble it in place.
Yields are just a forbidden subject. If you ever been around a weapons nuke, they say nothing about nothing.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
“These people, everybody in this room is in great danger right now,” he said. “We have a nuclear weapon that if you hit New York, South Carolina is going to be gone too. I worry about their safety. I think it’s the reason I’m doing this.”

Sounds made up to me. The B83 is the largest bomb we have at present at 1,200 kilotons. Dropped on New York is not going to wipe out South Carolina.

Reactions: APU_Fusion

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
“These people, everybody in this room is in great danger right now,” he said. “We have a nuclear weapon that if you hit New York, South Carolina is going to be gone too. I worry about their safety. I think it’s the reason I’m doing this.”

Sounds made up to me. The B83 is the largest bomb we have at present at 1,200 kilotons. Dropped on New York is not going to wipe out South Carolina.

Unless, of course, it’s not made up and we do indeed have a weapon that’s capable of that.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
The U.S. has released approximate yields for the most common weapons in the arsenal, keeping in mind that some of these weapons have tunable yields and may be set to a higher/lower yield depending on target.

Only because they've mostly been tested in open atmosphere and the yield can at least be guesstimated based on observable results. Even underground tests were subject to this.

Now, there is currently a program in place to test the packages without an actual explosion taking place. Who knows what those have done ...

Reactions: Fenixgoon

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
And to add, there's no way to be sure that Mango Mussolini was talking about our capabilities either. His syphilis addled brain makes it hard to tell exactly what it is he's talking about.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Something that large would have to assembled in place. It would be huge.

Plutonium is much lighter than Uranium and you need a fraction of it to give the same output.

You're saying even with Plutonium it'd be bigger than anything all our planes could carry?

Or maybe even a Saturn V rocket?

Feb 4, 2009
Without knowing much of this story is he possibly speaking of the nuclear cluster bomb things? I forgot their name but it’s something like one rocket multiple warheads that spread out over an area.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Plutonium is much lighter than Uranium and you need a fraction of it to give the same output.

You're saying even with Plutonium it'd be bigger than anything all our planes could carry?

Or maybe even a Saturn V rocket?

Most of the weight is not the plutonium or the uranium. It is primarily in the high explosives.

The B83 currently the largest bomb we have is 2,400 pounds, 12 feet long and 18 inches in diameter.

This is the blast map for a B83 over New York:

1708719308369.png

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Without knowing much of this story is he possibly speaking of the nuclear cluster bomb things? I forgot their name but it’s something like one rocket multiple warheads that spread out over an area.

What you are describing sounds like a ICBM Missile with MIRV (Multiple Independently targeted Reentry Vehicles) capabilities. We have lots of those, but the warheads have to be smaller in order to have them delivered by one missile.