News Trump: Mar-a-Lago just raided by FBI

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I didn't say that he should be treated differently.

Despite my utter contempt for Trump and anyone who still supports him I disagree.... being a former POTUS does entitle him to the respect he received from the FBI.

As I already mentioned if he were being treated "like anyone else" Mar-A-Lago would have been trashed after the FBI entered on the business-end of a battering-ram at 3am and he would be in a cell getting better acquainted with Bubba.

Ringing the doorbell at 7:30 am (not even a cop-knock!) is 100% the VIP version.

Last edited:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
The other amazing thing is if the former President really wanted these papers he allegedly took he could have declassified them moments before he left office and be in the clear.
I suspect as with everything Trump he didn’t realize he could do that and didn’t think he needed to do that because the man loves chaos.
You could have declassified them but he couldn't take them since they were official record. Guess he could have made copies but that wouldn't have worked if the purpose was to prevent others from seeing it.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'm also seeing people say that as president, Trump had the right to declassify anything he wanted...even to the point of making it public, so there's no way he could illegally have classified documents..

Myself, (conspiracy mode on) I wouldn't be surprised if the raid wasn't some kind of Trump "false flag operation" pulled off by Trump-supporting FBI agents, with a warrant that was signed off by a judge who took office during Trump's term...even if he wasn't a Trump appointee...and the FBI director was a Trump appointee...

/conspiracy mode.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11 and Pohemi

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So. The FBI is corrupt now?

Really?
PelnXB6.png

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
If Trump has nothing to hide, and wants to air a grievance, why not just release the warrant they gave him, as well as the receipt for items confiscated? That warrant likely has a detailed list of document categories to be seized, and may well have a description of the crime (or at least a code citation) for which he is being investigated. If it's all a politically motivated witch hunt, why not just show us the documents?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If Trump has nothing to hide, and wants to air a grievance, why not just release the warrant they gave him, as well as the receipt for items confiscated? That warrant likely has a detailed list of document categories to be seized, and may well have a description of the crime (or at least a code citation) for which he is being investigated. If it's all a politically motivated witch hunt, why not just show us the documents?
The fact that there seems to be a dedicated chorus of claims from the right of 'planted evidence' it appears they think something bad will come out of this.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
You could have declassified them but he couldn't take them since they were official record. Guess he could have made copies but that wouldn't have worked if the purpose was to prevent others from seeing it.
There would be certified safe requirements, all kinds of other things that have obviously not been observed. I'd be in jail, and you would be too.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
The fact that there seems to be a dedicated chorus of claims from the right of 'planted evidence' it appears they think something bad will come out of this.
Nothing more than pre-emptive muddying and trying to share in Donald's victimhood. How dare those law enforcement officers, judge, and FBI director! :rolleyes:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
That point being made, I'll make an educated best guess as to what is going on with this warrant. The Presidential Records Act bars the outgoing POTUS from retaining any documents he has pertaining to his job as POTUS. Purely personal documents the POTUS may keep. The distinction of classified/unclassified is irrelevant in the PRA. If we're talking about taking classified documents, that would be something under the Espionage Act? So we could be looking at more than just the PRA, but it's hard to say.

The most important issue here is, if they thought this was possibly inadvertant, they would have approached this informally by contacting his lawyers and politely requesting the return of the records. So they would need to be pretty sure of Trump's intent or they would not handle it like this. If the records in question were a small percantage of a larger number of documents to which he was legally entitled, it could be hard to prove. Unless someone in Trump's orbit squawked, maybe told the FBI that he or she had been directed by Trump to retain certain presidential and/or classified records, and possibly even that the person in question warned Trump it was illegal but Trump told him/her to do it anyway.

Anyway, yeah, I think someone in Trump's orbit has spoken to the FBI. That's just a best guess of course.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That point being made, I'll make an educated best guess as to what is going on with this warrant. The Presidential Records Act bars the outgoing POTUS from retaining any documents he has pertaining to his job as POTUS. Purely personal documents the POTUS may keep. The distinction of classified/unclassified is irrelevant in the PRA. If we're talking about taking classified documents, that would be something under the Espionage Act? So we could be looking at more than just the PRA, but it's hard to say.

The most important issue here is, if they thought this was possibly inadvertant, they would have approached this informally by contacting his lawyers and politely requesting the return of the records. So they would need to be pretty sure of Trump's intent or they would not handle it like this. If the records in question were a small percantage of a larger number of documents to which he was legally entitled, it could be hard to prove. Unless someone in Trump's orbit squawked, maybe told the FBI that he or she had been directed by Trump to retain certain presidential and/or classified records, and possibly even that the person in question warned Trump it was illegal but Trump told him/her to do it anyway.

Anyway, yeah, I think someone in Trump's orbit has spoken to the FBI. That's just a best guess of course.
Nice intuition! It would appear someone squawked.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

FBI NatSec branch wouldn't be involved if that were the only thing in play.

Feb 4, 2009
That’s the point, he could have kept copies or as in the Kim Jong Un Fat Boy to Fat Boy love letter National Achieves likely would have let him keep the original and archive a copy.
This happens with nearly every President. Personal letters and stuff can be kept if declared.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think Trump gave them to Obama to hide somewhere safe with his Kenyan birth certificate.

• Haha
Reactions: Lezunto

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I mean, if the most that comes of this is a National Archive wrist slap and no future office chances for him .. I'm not going to be mad.

I'd like nothing more then to see Trump ...erm... "removed" from polite society completely BUT I'll settle for him being politically neutered.

Reactions: Pohemi