Trump approval rating near 50%. Can anyone explain that to me?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
42.6% is WAY TOO FUCKING HIGH for a man who is actively trying to kill us. That tells me we got a country full of idiots and we are doomed.

40% is probably his base level support (35% maybe), that’s 5-10% more than bush at his lowest.

When bush left office I thought I wouldn’t see a worse president in my lifetime, I hope to god we don’t see a worse president than trump because that’s just scary.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Reading Twitter today; we are definitely boned.

MSM is the enemy of the people
Every death is being counted as a C-19 death, hence, the numbers are massively inflated. A Trump supporter posted a chart that the number of total deaths in the U.S. is over 30,000 lower for the months of JAN-APR for 2020 v. 2018. Both were in the 600,000's. Of course the bat shit idea that hospitals are making money off of lying about the cause of death is involved
The Flu is worse than C-19
It's China's fault
Trump is doing a superlative job, resulting in millions of lives being saved.
Obama and the Chinese created the virus
Bill Gates is behind it, and we are all getting microchipped
Trump 2020!
It's a plandemic! Obama, China, Gates, all part of the conspiracy
Trump has done much better than Obama did with H1N1

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Reading Twitter today; we are definitely boned.

MSM is the enemy of the people
Every death is being counted as a C-19 death, hence, the numbers are massively inflated. A Trump supporter posted a chart that the number of total deaths in the U.S. is over 30,000 lower for the months of JAN-APR for 2020 v. 2018. Both were in the 600,000's. Of course the bat shit idea that hospitals are making money off of lying about the cause of death is involved
The Flu is worse than C-19
It's China's fault
Trump is doing a superlative job, resulting in millions of lives being saved.
Obama and the Chinese created the virus
Bill Gates is behind it, and we are all getting microchipped
Trump 2020!
It's a plandemic! Obama, China, Gates, all part of the conspiracy
Trump has done much better than Obama did with H1N1

Why are we "boned" because there are a bunch of idiots on twitter?

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Because he has free time, as much as he wants every day, to stand up in front of the cameras, tell us how great he is handling the pandemic, and how anyone or anything to the contrary is "fake news". And dont underestimate the power of twitter. It was a big part of his getting elected in 2016.

It also doesnt help that Biden is effectively blocked from campaigning and holding rallys due to distancing restrictions, while Trump basically holds one every day.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Because he has free time, as much as he wants every day, to stand up in front of the cameras, tell us how great he is handling the pandemic, and how anyone or anything to the contrary is "fake news". And dont underestimate the power of twitter. It was a big part of his getting elected in 2016.

It also doesnt help that Biden is effectively blocked from campaigning and holding rallys due to distancing restrictions, while Trump basically holds one every day.

There are numerous factors that affect the outcome of an election. Not all of those are in Biden's favor and I'm not at all certain he is going to win. However, I fail to see how an anecdotal account of moronic opinions on twitter has any bearing at all. You can find such a thing in favor of or against any candidate in any election.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
It comes down to pro government vs anti government. The American government tells us that we have a pandemic. The anti government, the Donald Trump anti government tells us the pandemic is fake and a hoax. Seriously, Donald Trump is still trying to push the hoax part even today. Trump surrounds himself with idiots and with a task force composed of science denying Trump loyalists. A Trump loyal task force talking only of MODELS and IMAGINARY NUMBERS while refusing to face the reality on the streets. Trump confirmed this denial by refusing to wear a mask, and not allowing his administration to wear masks, and by send out double signals. While Trump talks pandemic Trump actually believes not in the pandemic. Trump also pulled this same old double standard double talk during the white nationalists protest. Called them good people on both sides. HAVE PEOPLE REALIZED..... that Donald Trump has been repeating, quite often lately, the very same double sided, double meaning, double talk concerning this pandemic as Trump previous used with attacking other Trump embarrassments? Trump called Nazi protesters GOOD PEOPLE, and called this pandemic a hoax and faked while also refusing to be seen in a mask. Trump refusing to enable the full power of the federal government and insisting to pass the burdens onto the states. When you are an anti government president and your followers are also anti government, you can never allow that government that they despise so much to solve anything. God forbid the American federal government should step in and possibly allowed any credit. Trump’s approval rating is in direct portion to Trump’s anti government propaganda.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
There are numerous factors that affect the outcome of an election. Not all of those are in Biden's favor and I'm not at all certain he is going to win. However, I fail to see how an anecdotal account of moronic opinions on twitter has any bearing at all. You can find such a thing in favor of or against any candidate in any election.

Twitter is the new facebook. You can see actual examples of this by posters who were once reasonable who have now become complete idiots who frequently reference twitter as validation to their opinions.

Thankfully, it’s not that widespread yet but it could be an issue in the future as disinformation becomes standard practice.

Reactions: ondma

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I'm pretty much to the point that we need to stop discussing shit with this president. He's constantly spreading misinformation. LYING. It seems to Trump that running the US of A is just like running a business. You just say whatever reality you want it to be and that's the reality you get. You really can't talk to him to question what he says. Then you are an enemy in his eyes. So, until we can just vote him out of there, you are going to see him fucking the citizens of this country. He's doing great. Gave himself tax cuts and loads up the supreme court.

50%? That's a lot of sheep there. I tell ya what!

Reactions: dank69
Mar 11, 2004

Certainly its more complicated than that, but that stuff does have an impact.

The thing is, those people have always been there, so I'm not sure we're explicitly more boned. But it is cause for concern when they can be galvanized into acting on their idiocy by their moron messiah.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Trump isn't winning any converts, which is what it will take for him to prevail. He's just trying to hold & energize the base. Trump screwed himself when he politicized the pandemic. We bought ourselves some time with business shutdowns & social distancing, time for the system to get prepared for the onslaught of cases yet to come. And they will. We lack the sort of social consciousness & govt controls to have it any other way. We have to open up some just to maintain commerce to keep people fed. Conservatives are in denial simply because it hasn't really reached them yet. I figure we'll be lucky to escape 500K dead by November & unemployment will be well north of 10%. If Trump can win with that record he's truly a political genius.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Trump isn't winning any converts, which is what it will take for him to prevail. He's just trying to hold & energize the base. Trump screwed himself when he politicized the pandemic. We bought ourselves some time with business shutdowns & social distancing, time for the system to get prepared for the onslaught of cases yet to come. And they will. We lack the sort of social consciousness & govt controls to have it any other way. We have to open up some just to maintain commerce to keep people fed. Conservatives are in denial simply because it hasn't really reached them yet. I figure we'll be lucky to escape 500K dead by November & unemployment will be well north of 10%. If Trump can win with that record he's truly a political genius.
The problem is that Biden hasn't found a way to capitalize on Trump's failures. Biden is in the unfortunate position of being out of office, any office. He can talk but that's all he can do. He can't demonstrate superior leadership in the pandemic crisis so he's effectively invisible. Trump's strategy of sucking all the air out of the room will continue straight through to the election. Trump doesn't care if all the publicity he gets is bad as long as he keeps Biden from getting airtime.

Reactions: ondma

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
It is the size of the minority that causes me to lean toward we deserve it. Liking any Republican should be equivalent to having social leprosy. Liking Trump, well, I won't even say it.
having covid-19?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Twitter is the new facebook. You can see actual examples of this by posters who were once reasonable who have now become complete idiots who frequently reference twitter as validation to their opinions.

Thankfully, it’s not that widespread yet but it could be an issue in the future as disinformation becomes standard practice.
Oddly enough I take that as a good sign. Have you seen a rational defense of Trump in the last 6 months? Anywhere, even here? He won the election by 78K votes in 3 states. No way in hell after everything he will pick up new supporters.

Also he was losing a ton of suburban moms even before COVID. Black women are highly motivated not only to vote against him but Republicans in general (see mid term results)

Bottom line there aren't enough nuts to get him re-elected.

Reactions: ivwshane

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

See, I think disinformation is already the standard practice. Or at least, it's been full blown for 10+ years already since the advent of social media which has replaced or augmented existing channels for bullshit like talk radio. The variation from person to person is how susceptible they are to it. It's a good bet that the people saying idiotic things on twitter, the vast majority were already that way.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
The problem is that Biden hasn't found a way to capitalize on Trump's failures. Biden is in the unfortunate position of being out of office, any office. He can talk but that's all he can do. He can't demonstrate superior leadership in the pandemic crisis so he's effectively invisible. Trump's strategy of sucking all the air out of the room will continue straight through to the election. Trump doesn't care if all the publicity he gets is bad as long as he keeps Biden from getting airtime.
Well said. It doesnt help either that Biden, even when he is in the spotlight, doesnt come across as particularly focused, competent, or dynamic (to put it charitably). OTOH, there are numerous mayors and governors who have performed extremely well and speak confidently and coherently. Unfortunately, none of them are running for president.

Edit: I was not strongly supportive of Tim Waltz for governor of Minnesota. However, I have been pleasantly surprised with his performance in this crisis. I would vote for him in a heartbeat over either of the Presidential candidates. My only reservation is that he seems to be starting to fold under the pressure of Trump and his hooligan protesters and may be opening some facilities too soon.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Oddly enough I take that as a good sign. Have you seen a rational defense of Trump in the last 6 months? Anywhere, even here? He won the election by 78K votes in 3 states. No way in hell after everything he will pick up new supporters.

Also he was losing a ton of suburban moms even before COVID. Black women are highly motivated not only to vote against him but Republicans in general (see mid term results)

Bottom line there aren't enough nuts to get him re-elected.

I agree and it’s why I’ve been saying that trump will lose in a landslide.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
See, I think disinformation is already the standard practice. Or at least, it's been full blown for 10+ years already since the advent of social media which has replaced or augmented existing channels for bullshit like talk radio. The variation from person to person is how susceptible they are to it. It's a good bet that the people saying idiotic things on twitter, the vast majority were already that way.

Twitter, like the Internet as whole, used to be about the spread of information, then came the spread of opinions, then came the misinformation, and now we have the spread of disinformation. The changes have been gradual but they are there. Whether or not twitter idiots have always been idiots I don’t know but I would imagine they migrated/spread from other social media platforms.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Wish I shared your confidence.

Prior to 2018, I wouldn't have been so confident either but each election result only grows my confidence.

Trump is his own worst own enemy and when your ego is as big as trump's and you sit on a stage as large as the white house playing a role as large as the president, ain't no one going to rein him in.

Reactions: cytg111

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Trumpity Dumpity has his loyal 90% of the Republican base. But he lost the independents. And the non voters in 2016 will be back with vengeance. Unless he totally rigs the votes, he’s done.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I'm dumb founded by this. Despite the taxes, catching COVID and other disasters this week his 538 daily tracking is trending up. I don't get it.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I'm dumb founded by this. Despite the taxes, catching COVID and other disasters this week his 538 daily tracking is trending up. I don't get it.

Neither do I, especially since, at the same time, polling has trended more toward Biden these past 2 weeks.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
There is no enthusiasm for Biden, which is very easy to observe. In the end, when the "hair" wins again, don't be so shocked. In 47 years of Biden being in politics, what good bill has he ever authored?
As Burgess Owens said, "Joe Biden actually finds a running mate who's done more damage to minorities than himself..."
Burgess was actually fighting against segregation while Biden was fighting for it.
In the end, people are gonna be wondering why the fuck the nominee had to be Joe Biden.

Leo Terrell "Trump has done more for blacks in 3 years than Obama did in 8". "Part of drinking the Democratic Kool-Aid is buying the assumption that only Democrats do things for black people and minorities."
Terrell has been a life long democrat and civil rights attorney, who has recently switched his support to Trump.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Because Trumps support base and ppl who believe in him are representative of the "bunch of idiots" on twitter. And they wont go away even if Trump loses. One of these days they may elect Alex Jones for prez.