Tried Spam for the first time today

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I love Spam. I had Spam, eggs, and taters yesterday for breakfast. I always keep a couple cans in the cabinet. Instead of Spam, I get Brookdale Luncheon meat, or whatever it's called from Aldi. I can't tell a difference, and I'd put $10 on it coming from Hormel. It's about $1.60 a can.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
I always thought it was a novelty food...I've never actually met anyone who eats it, but apparently it's huge in Hawaii. I'm reading this interesting article on it right now:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/07/great-american-spam-invasion.html

Only mistake I made was salting the eggs...next time I'll just use garlic powder instead of garlic salt - the Spam has more than enough saltiness for the whole dish haha.

I make bologna eggs and cheese on occasion. Its just like Spam, the bologna adds enough salt, so just a little pepper for seasoning. Just fry the bologna first, then stir in eggs and cheese and cook, pretty simple.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I always thought it was a mesh of garbage and fake meats and probably bad for you (like a giant chunk of hotdog or something). After looking it up on wiki I guess it doesn't sound so bad at all. I'll probably grab a can next time I'm at the store to try it.

It's pork shoulder and ham!

and shhhh! nitrites

They used to advertise the first part on their commercials, but never the second for some reason :^D

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Spam's alright. They love it in Hawaii. There's even a government commodity version that comes in olive drab #10 cans labeled "MEAT."

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
I have to be seriously hung over to contemplate SPAM but man is it tasty fried with eggs.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I dunno. If I'm going to eat something that's 75+ % fat, it's probably going to be kielbasa or maybe some liverwurst.

Tried some turkey Spam not long ago. It was actually edible.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
It's good fried or in stew. It's good in kimchi fried rice or egg battered fried side dish with plain rice and roasted seaweed. My favorite spam dish is budae-jjigae. When we have lot of leftovers in the fridge, we make this stew soup and dump everything in it.

Oct 25, 2006
Spam is awesome in smaller quantities. Its too salty to be eaten en masse, but mixed with rice or cooked in ramen, good god yes.

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
I prefer my eggs sunny side up with that but S.E.R. is awesome regardless of how the egg is prepared.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I love Spam. I had Spam, eggs, and taters yesterday for breakfast. I always keep a couple cans in the cabinet. Instead of Spam, I get Brookdale Luncheon meat, or whatever it's called from Aldi. I can't tell a difference, and I'd put $10 on it coming from Hormel. It's about $1.60 a can.

Awesome, they just opened an Aldi's nearby, I'll pick some up this week!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I always thought it was a mesh of garbage and fake meats and probably bad for you (like a giant chunk of hotdog or something). After looking it up on wiki I guess it doesn't sound so bad at all. I'll probably grab a can next time I'm at the store to try it.

Click over to the second slide, shows the meat cuts:

http://www.spam.com/spam-101/what-is-spam-classic

I always thought it was like a nasty mystery meat or something, but it's only got like 6 ingredients...not too bad.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Spam's alright. They love it in Hawaii. There's even a government commodity version that comes in olive drab #10 cans labeled "MEAT."

Yeah, I have some friends who went to school there & said it's great. Decided to follow up & actually try it out...so many recipes out there. Not super healthy, but once or twice a week won't kill ya.