Time to corral the MAGAts.(Paul Pelosi attack)

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Some of the group had suggested cannibalizing her, apparently it was (one of) the last straw before the plan went too far for one of them, and he contacted the authorities to report the group.

A long time copy editor who became a close friend told me they would have gang raped her.

This is what AOC feared during the Jan. 6 insurrection.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
We really do not have effective spokespersons or political leaders who can convincingly push back.

Our opposition has command of so many media outlets, platforms and ways to get their message out. They drown us in in hatred.
This is definitely part of it. The right has a dedicated information ecosystem that blasts right wing propaganda literally 24/7. The left doesn’t have that and never will. It’s not for lack of trying (air America), it’s because liberals don’t want it.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
You might not agree with what he did, but it sure appears that he thought it out and executed a plan. That does not suggest that he was having some delusional state, or psychotic break. It was a decision to take action on what he believed to be a existential threat to his country. If you accept as true all the stuff the conservative media says about Pelosi it is not that hard to understand how he came to that conclusion. The problem was not his mental state, but the trash he filled his mental world with.

When talking about this incident this weekend my Mother, who is this sweet old lady, said of it, 'He must be a very brave man'. Because she believes that someone should 'do something' about the evil Pelosi's, because all her news comes from that crafty Fox and they have her convinced that Nancy Pelosi is some kind of evil mastermind that is destroying America.
I don't think my mother has ever voted. She also does not watch the news. She was visiting or I was and she saw a picture of Pelosi on the tv or PC. She immediately said "I can't stand that woman". So here is this "christian" woman who has never met Pelosi or even watched her on the news but she hates her. Every bit of this hate comes from the crap fed to her on facebook. These people are constantly steeped in lies and hate.

Has anyone on the right condemned the abuse of a 82 year old man yet? All I see is white knighting and making excuses for scum once again. There is no bottom to what these people are willing to do.

Last edited:

Zor Prime

Golden Member
Nov 7, 1999
Looks like the basket case is Canadian and in the USA illegally. Didn't catch someone else mentioning that, someone may have.

Supposing that's the case I hope he gets deported. Perhaps this will rekindle interest in immigration issues.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Looks like the basket case is Canadian and in the USA illegally. Didn't catch someone else mentioning that, someone may have.

Supposing that's the case I hope he gets deported. Perhaps this will rekindle interest in immigration issues.

I doubt if it will rekindle anything. Republicans only care about black and brown people coming from the southern border. They don't care about white people coming from Canada.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I would encourage you to read the affidavit and ask yourself if the statements of Depape sound like things you would hear on right wing media. (spoiler alert: they match to a T)

You can start on page 5:

EDIT: It is not that Fox News is necessarily turning otherwise sane people into hammer wielding maniacs, it is radicalizing everyone. The thing is while for most people this turns your relatively sane conservative uncle into a delusional conspiracy theorist it ends there. If someone is already unbalanced though you end up with things like this.

I read that and it sounds like a mentally ill person that has bought into all kinds of crazy conspiracy theories. He was fucked up Long before this event. This was just the icing on the cake. Of course many love to blame all of societies problems at the feet of the Republicans, Conservatives and Fox News. I think he has issues with the current administration and focused on Nancy as the ringleader mainly due to her being the Speaker and in his Area as Berkley is very close to San Francisco.

Does any of this seem to be right wing ideals?

According to a 2008 Oakland Tribune article, DePape has three children with Oxane “Gypsy” Taub, a prominent Bay Area nude activist who pushed conspiracy theories, including that 9/11 was an “inside job” and attempted to stage a naked wedding on the steps of San Francisco City Hall. A 2013 article in The San Francisco Chronicle identified David DePape as a “hemp jewelry maker” who was living in a Berkeley Victorian flat with Taub, their three children and Taub’s partner at that time, Jaymz Smith.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article267987157.html#storylink=cpy

I am glad they caught him and that Paul wasn't killed. I do hope he comes back 100% from his injuries. I am also glad that Nancy was not at home.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I read that and it sounds like a mentally ill person that has bought into all kinds of crazy conspiracy theories. He was fucked up Long before this event. This was just the icing on the cake. Of course many love to blame all of societies problems at the feet of the Republicans, Conservatives and Fox News. I think he has issues with the current administration and focused on Nancy as the ringleader mainly due to her being the Speaker and in his Area as Berkley is very close to San Francisco.

According to a 2008 Oakland Tribune article, DePape has three children with Oxane “Gypsy” Taub, a prominent Bay Area nude activist who pushed conspiracy theories, including that 9/11 was an “inside job” and attempted to stage a naked wedding on the steps of San Francisco City Hall. A 2013 article in The San Francisco Chronicle identified David DePape as a “hemp jewelry maker” who was living in a Berkeley Victorian flat with Taub, their three children and Taub’s partner at that time, Jaymz Smith.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article267987157.html#storylink=cpy

I am glad they caught him and that Paul wasn't killed. I do hope he comes back 100% from his injuries. I am also glad that Nancy was not at home.
Are you saying advocation of physical violence isn't unique to Republicans? We know the Republican leader has publicly advocated for physical violence. Have any Democrat leaders done the same?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I agree that the guy was mentally ill and in the past had done things associated with left wing politics but from everything I've read and from his own statements its very clear his RECENT actions are at least in substantial part motivated by right wing politics. He wasn't shy about sharing this, so why should we not believe him?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

No true Scotsman fallacy. You don't get to just say that everyone that consumes what conservatives are fed but acts on it is just crazy.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I agree that the guy was mentally ill and in the past had done things associated with left wing politics but from everything I've read and from his own statements its very clear his RECENT actions are at least in substantial part motivated by right wing politics. He wasn't shy about sharing this, so why should we not believe him?

I do believe him when he said: "He viewed Nancy as the “leader of the pack” of lies told by the Democratic Party. "

As for laying the blame at Fox News or the Republican Party I disagree with. No more than I would blame MSNBC, CNN and the Democrats for the Congressional Baseball shooting or the guy wanting to shoot Kavanaugh over the abortion ruling.

Crazy people do crazy things.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
No, it's the fault of those who foster extremism. If your claim is that all of Fox and Republicans are doing that, that's fine. I'm focused on individual responsibility though.

I was being sarcastic....

I do agree that mentally ill people tend to follow those who foster extremism. Be they Republican or Democrat or no political position at all.

We need to bring back mental institutions to house those that have issues such as these and maybe we could save some of them from themselves.

I worked as a mechanic apprentice when I was 15 years old at a Huge Mental Institution in middle Georgia. They helped a lot of people and the ones that were hopeless had a safe place to live and be cared for.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I do believe him when he said: "He viewed Nancy as the “leader of the pack” of lies told by the Democratic Party. "

As for laying the blame at Fox News or the Republican Party I disagree with. No more than I would blame MSNBC, CNN and the Democrats for the Congressional Baseball shooting or the guy wanting to shoot Kavanaugh over the abortion ruling.

Crazy people do crazy things.
If that's all he said then it might be more of an open question. In reality there's already numerous people who knew him and knew his social media posting that said in the time leading up to this attack he was constantly discussing election conspiracy theories, January 6th conspiracy theories, anti-vax conspiracy theories, etc.

This is all EXACTLY what right wing media has been pushing for several years now, including Fox News. This is not a hard connection to make, it is the obvious one. Crazy person who constantly posts ultra right wing conspiracy theories and then attempts to capture or kill one of the most prominent targets of those conspiracy theories...it is not difficult to determine what is by far the most likely motive for his attack. An unbalanced person radicalized by Fox News and other right wing media.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
From the NYT:
For the next several years, Mr. Ciccarelli became close to Mr. DePape, even as he worked less and seemed to spend more time online, immersed in right-wing conspiracy theories — right up until a week ago, when he paid Mr. DePape his most recent wages.

Another quote:

“If you got him talking about politics, it was all over,” Mr. Ciccarelli recalled in an interview this week. “Because he really believed in the whole MAGA, ‘Pizzagate,’ stolen election — you know, all of it, all the way down the line.”

It could be true that absent being taken in by right wing media and the conspiracy theories they amplify he would have attacked someone else, but the reason why his target was Nancy Pelosi is completely obvious.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I do agree that mentally ill people tend to follow those who foster extremism. Be they Republican or Democrat or no political position at all.
Not just mentally ill. They may be easier to manipulate in some cases, but every single one of those in the 06JAN insurrection were of sound mind. Fucking stupid, but of sound mind. Humans don't need a mental condition to be duped into extremism.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Very well then. I guess we can at least agree it is good they caught him and nobody died as a result of his crazy actions.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
From the NYT:

Another quote:

It could be true that absent being taken in by right wing media and the conspiracy theories they amplify he would have attacked someone else, but the reason why his target was Nancy Pelosi is completely obvious.

Who were his other targets? Can't read through the pay wall...