Time to corral the MAGAts.(Paul Pelosi attack)

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Have you been back? Homeless folks wandering the streets everywhere. Truly shocking!
Haven't been around. I have visited my nephew & family multiple times. He's a banker, takes me golfing at his country club. They live walking distance from Century City.

When I was a youngster, about the most terrifying thing I remember was Skid Row downtown (viewed from a car). I have heard (here!) it's pretty awful in recent years.

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I grew up in the SF Valley (Granada Hills). Moved back to CA in 2008 and now live in south Redondo Beach.

LA traffic is fucking horrid now. It was bad enough in the 70s and 80s when I grew up. It's many times worse now. It's no longer rush "hour." All day is rush.

Now its a 2 hour ordeal to get downtown on the 110 or past west LA going north on the 405 ANY time of day between 5:30am and midnight.

My wife and I ski quite a bit and drive north to Mammoth or Tahoe or east to visit friends in AZ. We have to leave no later than 5 AM. Any later we add 1 hour to our drive time. Later than 6am we add 2 hours.

Inevitably we return in the afternoon on Saturdays from skiing or AZ. Hitting LA around 1-3pm. Going to Mammoth at 5am gets us there in 5 or so hours. Getting home takes 7+ hours because we hit Sat afternoon traffic.
And this will break your brain: Lancaster/Palmdale AND Santa Clarita/Newhall/Saugus are so built up part of the delay on Sat afternoon is caused by backups on the 14 through those towns.

But as soon as I hit LA it's stop and go on the 405 from the 101 interchange all the way to the Rosecrans exit.

One bright spot about where we live is it's 20-30 minutes north to LAX on PCH/Sepulveda avoiding the 405. So out of state trips are easy. We use a car service to drop us off and pick us up at the nightmare that is LAX.

Side story: During the first lock downs of the pandemic, LA was a ghost town. We'd drive up to the poppy fields of Antelope Valley or Angeles Crest or north county San Diego for day trips in under an hour. 85MPH the whole way and very few cars on the freeways midday. It was fucking surreal.

-Grew up in the East LA/West Orange County area, parents now live down in the Temecula area.

I'm up north in the Bay Area.

California has 10 million too many people for the infrastructure. When all those stories about Californians migrating to other states came out during the pandemic I silently wept tears of joy. Shame it ended up only being 500k or something.

When visiting my parents I make it a point to just go all the way around the cauldron best I can. If I'm taking the 5, go east to Barstow, and then keep going till I hit the 15 and then go south. If it's late at night I'll risk the 210 to the 15 (or to the 71 to 91 to 15 if I'm feeling frisky, but it's burned me so many times before).

On the rare occasion when it's the whole fam, we do 101, which is a longer but far more interesting drive than the 5, and then we just keep going south until we hit the 5, keep going south until SLO then take the 74 over the mountains and bingo.

Regardless, Tool released the theme song for the LA metro back in the 90's

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I grew up in the SF Valley (Granada Hills). Moved back to CA in 2008 and now live in south Redondo Beach.

LA traffic is fucking horrid now. It was bad enough in the 70s and 80s when I grew up. It's many times worse now. It's no longer rush "hour." All day is rush.

Now its a 2 hour ordeal to get downtown on the 110 or past west LA going north on the 405 ANY time of day between 5:30am and midnight.

My wife and I ski quite a bit and drive north to Mammoth or Tahoe or east to visit friends in AZ. We have to leave no later than 5 AM. Any later we add 1 hour to our drive time. Later than 6am we add 2 hours.

Inevitably we return in the afternoon on Saturdays from skiing or AZ. Hitting LA around 1-3pm. Going to Mammoth at 5am gets us there in 5 or so hours. Getting home takes 7+ hours because we hit Sat afternoon traffic.
And this will break your brain: Lancaster/Palmdale AND Santa Clarita/Newhall/Saugus are so built up part of the delay on Sat afternoon is caused by backups on the 14 through those towns.

But as soon as I hit LA it's stop and go on the 405 from the 101 interchange all the way to the Rosecrans exit.

One bright spot about where we live is it's 20-30 minutes north to LAX on PCH/Sepulveda avoiding the 405. So out of state trips are easy. We use a car service to drop us off and pick us up at the nightmare that is LAX.

Side story: During the first lock downs of the pandemic, LA was a ghost town. We'd drive up to the poppy fields of Antelope Valley or Angeles Crest or north county San Diego for day trips in under an hour. 85MPH the whole way and very few cars on the freeways midday. It was fucking surreal.

Once in a while we talk about if we would move to LA if he had a good opportunity at his company's office in Culver City. Unless it was a giant step up the answer is probably not because it's just a nightmare to get around the city. People here in SD think the traffic is bad lol.

Reactions: Muse

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
I will never understand cityfolk’s desire to live in the city.
lol the opposite. I’d rather have half a dozen McDs within 15 minutes than rather being able to walk across town in 30 minutes and meet all 200 people who live in town during your walk.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Once in a while we talk about if we would move to LA if he had a good opportunity at his company's office in Culver City. Unless it was a giant step up the answer is probably not because it's just a nightmare to get around the city. People here in SD think the traffic is bad lol.
I lived in Culver City from 2013-15. I really enjoyed it. Would I go back? No, LA doesn't fit my current lifestyle. And yes traffic sucked. But there was a lot of cool stuff. I'm glad I had the experience.

Edit: get a motorcycle and enjoy the goodness that is lane splitting. I once made it from LA to Irvine in an hour. During rush hour. Lane split the whole way :D

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I grew up about a couple miles from Culver City (named after Col. Culver, my mom used to say). At the time, IIRC, it had 1 or 2 movie theaters and one bowling alley. MGM was there, since bought by Sony. A teenager, I used to go bowling with my pal and take in the occasional movie. It was a simple small town in the midst of West L.A. Uh, before the freeways...

There was an archaic sprawling mansion, purportedly built by Culver, on huge grounds, a couple doors north of us, and occupied while we were there by a Mr. Sheparo, an opera coach. We could hear his clients wailing from time to time. My research into Culver not long ago revealed that he was a classic racist and designed and marketed Culver City as a bastion against encroaching non-white culture. It didn't stay that way in modern times, I believe. Palms Jr. High (Palms was right next to Culver City), where I went, was a kind of scary place. Quite a bit of gang activity.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I lived in Culver City from 2013-15. I really enjoyed it. Would I go back? No, LA doesn't fit my current lifestyle. And yes traffic sucked. But there was a lot of cool stuff. I'm glad I had the experience.

Edit: get a motorcycle and enjoy the goodness that is lane splitting. I once made it from LA to Irvine in an hour. During rush hour. Lane split the whole way :D

There is an exactly 0% chance I would be allowed to purchase a motorcycle lol.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I grew up about a couple miles from Culver City (named after Col. Culver, my mom used to say). At the time it had about 2 movie theaters and one bowling alley, IIRC. MGM was there, since bought by Sony. A teenager, I used to go bowling with my pal and take in the occasional movie. It was a simple small town in the midst of West L.A. Uh, before the freeways...

Little bit may have changed since then. 40K people live there now and it's a growing office hub.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Livin' on the edge, I figure lane splitting. I've done (and still do) some edgy stuff, but not that.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Edit: I popped it in last night (just to see that opening scene) and watched the whole thing again (7th time I've seen it).

Umm...sir. You took my tapler.

/mumbles i'llburnthisplacetotheground

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I grew up in the old State Capital of Georgia. When I was a child the population was 11,000 in the mid 1960's.
There was never a traffic problem.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Learn to use the arterials during rush hours. I realize you are going longer distances, and the freeways can't always be avoided.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Learn to use the arterials during rush hours. I realize you are going longer distances, and the freeways can't always be avoided.

If we did it we'd be living in West Hollywood and he'd be commuting to Culver so surface streets all the way.

Reactions: hal2kilo