Threadripper BUILDERS thread

Page 71 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dnavas

Feb 25, 2017
Brilliant! Thank you for the link.
I guess next thing for them is to test Enermax just to see how much a functioning one would bring to the table.
Still waiting on my screw pillars then a triple spool SilverArrowTR4 becomes a fully operational technological terror.

Won't be apples-apples until they do it, but I can state with near certainty that my setup would probably not survive 3.8G in Prime95 small ffts. I believe it wound up in high 3.6s. The system starts out pulling well over 500W from the wall and quickly ramps down from there. If I get a chance I'll re-run the tests. I've got a 280mm in push-pull with the stock Enermax pulling and a 3000rpm and 2000rpm Noctuas pushing (I haven't decided whether to deal with the 3000rpm db fan yet or not, so I've got both). Probably a little silly to have higher airflow on one side, and the case definitely limits the effectiveness of the single 3000 rpm fan (there's a noticeable drop in whine when I close the front door on my design r5). This setup does work better than a pair of Noctua 1500rpms in push, so there's that....

Ed: running the 3k fan no faster than 2k rpm, package settles in for a power draw of 230ish watts at 3.68-3.69GHz on my Enermax. Opening the front door of my case gets me another .06Ghz. Turns out the 500W draw was from a manual overclock -- for my run, I saw max draw from the wall of about 420W, settling in to about 350W or so. Room temp is 77F (25C). My recollection from a power perspective is that the Noctua peaked at around 180W. Again, that's on my box :shrug:

Last edited:
Reactions: UsandThem

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Another dual-tower air cooler for sockets TR4 and SP3 is now available (in Europe at least): be quiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4. This cooler was announced already a while ago. It is built like the Dark Rock Pro, except for a larger base plate.

Reactions: lightmanek

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
I just want to throw this out there, been running my replacement Enermax (v2 is the replacement they sent me) and my 1950X at 4150MHz for many days nonstop now. No change in cooling so far. Working great and silent as can be. I'd bump it to 4200 MHz, but that takes it far too close to 1.45v for me to feel comfortable.

Prime95 workloads get warm, but it doesn't throttle. Pretty much all my workloads keep the CPU under 68C, despite having "100%" workloads across all cores. This is probably due to the lack of anything AVX related. I DO shut down at night due to ASUS not knowing how cooling works, but the machine runs all day and I haven't had a single issue (except for every fan in the case turning off once in a blue moon...ASUS...). Also, I replaced my case with an NZXT H700i or some nonsense like that and my desk fan makes more noise than the PC does.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Threadripper number 6 in progress. Case, PSU mounted, motherboard, with NVME mounted. Videocards ready to be put in with 360 TR2 Enermax cooler. All I need is the CPU, due 11/28.

X399 Taichi motherboard and 3600 b-die 4x8 gig with 1950x. NVME is Samsung 970 Evo with a heat sink. PSU is Rosewill 1200 Photon. I could not resist with it being gold rated for $90.

Reactions: Drazick

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Threadripper number 6 in progress. Case, PSU mounted, motherboard, with NVME mounted. Videocards ready to be put in with 360 TR2 Enermax cooler. All I need is the CPU, due 11/28.

X399 Taichi motherboard and 3600 b-die 4x8 gig with 1950x. NVME is Samsung 970 Evo with a heat sink. PSU is Rosewill 1200 Photon. I could not resist with it being gold rated for $90.
Only a sample size of one, but the ripple suppression is pretty bad on that unit. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rosewill-photon-1200-power-supply,4236.html

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
I just want to throw this out there, been running my replacement Enermax (v2 is the replacement they sent me) and my 1950X at 4150MHz for many days nonstop now. No change in cooling so far. Working great and silent as can be. I'd bump it to 4200 MHz, but that takes it far too close to 1.45v for me to feel comfortable.

2nd this.

In the end, my replacement 280 v2 arrived before the SilverArrow screws!

Been running for a month or so now (all stock), idle/low thread temps in low 40s, and pushing to high 50s/low60s under full load (2950X)

Reactions: UsandThem

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Thanks for that. Luckily, I will be at about 70% load, at which ripple is fine, and noise may be OK. (its two bad ratings)
I just checked to see what I had. It's a Seasonic Prime 1200W Platinum. Not sure what I paid, over $200. Forgot I had an EVGA 1600 P2 still sitting in the shipping box I overpaid for - $460 when the high end PSUs were suffering from the mining craze.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
2nd this.

In the end, my replacement 280 v2 arrived before the SilverArrow screws!

Been running for a month or so now (all stock), idle/low thread temps in low 40s, and pushing to high 50s/low60s under full load (2950X)
I’m running my replacement V1 24/7 in an effort to fail it and get them to send me a V2.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Hi guys
After reading for about a year, I've finally built my threadripper system.
I was playing a little with idea of going with 2990WX but I would have probably never used it at its full potential and it's too expensive anyway.
I got
2950X,
2X G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB 2x8GB 3600MHz DDR4 CL15-15-15
Gigabyte X399 AORUS XTREME
Noctua NH U14S TR4-SP3 - Noctua
Samsung 970 Evo M.2 500GB
NVIDIA 1080
I've chosen gigabyte because I got badly burned with ASUS (twice), MSI doesn't ring my bell, and ASROCk was currently unavailable (at least in my country). Gigabyte low - middle range boards almost always were "plug and play" for me. I was a little afraid because there is little information about this boards on forums, and oficial reviews nowadays are a "little" vague. For example almost every review site goes about how close distances between super IO armor and memory slots are. TridentZ fit there with with like a two milimeters gap. Same goes with CPU cooling - but if wanted all 8 dimms I would have to find another cooling solution. The board itself is pretty well made, and building a system went like a charm (succesful boot on the first time), but BIOS is ... Let's just say it is there. Orange letters on the dark background are horrible enough. The information is scattered in submenus, settings are unintuitive.For example: you've got some setting set auto. Click it and nothing happens. You have to start writing and finally some values appear. I could go on but I'm not writing a review here :)
Given how unclear tr4 cooling situation is I went with Noctua. I would love to get AIO but... Custom WC - I don't have time, skill and I'm not sure if I'm willing to experiment on such a rig. Been building system for a few years now (those 300A's :)) but had never touched anything wet yet (computers wise):) I'll wait a little maybe there will be some AIO wich doesn't destroy itself. Was thinking about thermalright Silver arrow but I couldn't find direct comparison with noctua and it wasn't available.
I'm little worried about my voltages on auto. I don't plan to OC I just want productivity and longevity. If I set auto in ryzen master I get big voltage spikes. VID 1.550, soc voltage 1.100, cpu core voltage 1.537 and vcore 1.476 seem a little bit high. I couldn't find any official guidelines on threadripper 2 but everybody seems to agree that original threadripper safe limit is 1.450V. I know Vid voltages doesn't mean much but vcore is a little too high for me. If set manual I can get 4ghz@1.275V (hwinfo 1.308V) which seems stable and reasonable.

The Liqtech II runs fine, I have the 360 version and it runs just fine.

What would you like to know?
I have the liqtech ii 280 and am running it now. It arrived in good condition.
I remain concerned with how much Tdie jumps around (10C up for no reason I can discern), but I don't think that's related to the cooler.
In my estimation, this can remove about 250W of heat from the cpu with a 38C delta (from ~30C room temp to 68C Tdie) in push/pull configuration. Watts from the wall of about 375 -- I'm not sure where the diff between HWMon reported watts and wall watts lies. :shrug:

Test it in Prime95, and run with small ffts. Sucker produces heat like it's going out of style....

Prime95 uses AVX, it is going to run warm even on the best of setups.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Summary:

2990WX at stock:
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4 > Noctua NH-U14S TR4 > Thermalright Silver Arrow TR4 > Cooler Master Wraith Ripper​

2990WX at mild overclock (270 W package power):
Noctua NH-U14S TR4 > be quiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4 > Thermalright Silver Arrow TR4 (very loud) > Cooler Master Wraith Ripper (already thermal throttling)​
2990WX overclocked to somewhat above 300 W:
only Noctua NH-U14S TR4 equipped with two fans works, all other coolers fail​

Reactions: lightmanek

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Noctua wins again. Sad really, that's only one tower on that cooler. Can't Noctua roll out something bigger? Also I'm surprised the Silver Arrow did so badly with two towers.

I have a feeling that if you used 2 or 3 fast fans on that Silver Arrow that it would do better than anything else. But I could be wrong.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Summary:

2990WX at stock:
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4 > Noctua NH-U14S TR4 > Thermalright Silver Arrow TR4 > Cooler Master Wraith Ripper​

2990WX at mild overclock (270 W package power):
Noctua NH-U14S TR4 > be quiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4 > Thermalright Silver Arrow TR4 (very loud) > Cooler Master Wraith Ripper (already thermal throttling)​
2990WX overclocked to somewhat above 300 W:
only Noctua NH-U14S TR4 equipped with two fans works, all other coolers fail​
Thats why I went custom water. Not sure how much power I am pulling, but @ 3700 all cores and threads.

Reactions: Drazick

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
This thread needs more 'rippers. 2019 edition.

1920x with dual Gigabyte 1070 Extreme, 32GB DDR4-3000 --> downgraded to 1 GPU since not enough spacing for 2 extra thick cards to run cool

1900x with GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4-3200 CL14

1950x with dual RX 580, 32GB DDR4-3000

Open air rigs are best for efficiency and cooling...

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016

Temperatures holding steady at these levels a month and a half later.

Took Enermax a bit of time to get there - but looking good from here.

loophole

Feb 4, 2019
Has anyone had issues mounting the Silver Arrow TR4 on their X399 board? Mine was delivered last week and over the weekend I ripped apart my system to install it, but found that the horizontally oriented metal piece of the mounting kit (what the instructions call "TR4-S mounting kit") didn't sit correctly on the two screw pillars that were closer together. With the screw pillars installed the two holes on the TR4-S mounting kit didn't align correctly. Here's a picture:IMG_4295.JPG
That same piece installed at the other edge of the socket, on the two screw pillars that are further apart, is very snug, but at least the pillars fit correctly in the holes and the piece is properly horizontal.

It's worth pointing out that I seem to have slightly different mounting hardware to what the reviews show (and the online instructions). Here are the instructions that came in the box describing the pieces I have:
IMG_20190204_154406221.jpg

I've e-mailed Thermalright tech support but am yet to hear back from them. I've also considered just taking a drill to those two inner holes so that I can get that piece properly horizontal to allow the heatsink to make good contact with the heatspreader. I'd really like to not have to do that though. It's not like I'm jury rigging up a setup for a heatsink that's not meant for TR4...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

loophole

Feb 4, 2019
Finally got it all sorted now. Thermalright support got back to me and sent over new mounting hardware that matches what's shown in the online instructions. I got four new screw pillars and a set of M3L6 screws to use with them. So, if anyone else ends up in a similar situation just reach out to Thermalright support and they'll help you out.

Reactions: Drazick and prtskg

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Who writes these reviews ??? The reason I ask is that EVERYBODY knows that at least the next gen if not 2 or 3 more will use TR4 for the HEDT lineup. So this moron writes "Whether or not it will support next-gen processors is something that remains to be seen."

Anton Shilov is the person, but who is that, and why could he be qualified to write a review ? I could do better.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Who writes these reviews ??? The reason I ask is that EVERYBODY knows that at least the next gen if not 2 or 3 more will use TR4 for the HEDT lineup. So this moron writes "Whether or not it will support next-gen processors is something that remains to be seen."

Anton Shilov is the person, but who is that, and why could he be qualified to write a review ? I could do better.

I think he may be referring to TDPs rather than socket or anything else. If Zen2 Threadripper hits new TDP targets, then it may require more-robust cooling than can be offered by the Arctic HSF mentioned in the news story.

That being said, he could have been more specific.

Reactions: VirtualLarry