The Witcher 2 Has Gone Gold, Releases In 3 Weeks

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Now that I'm in Flotsam, game seems much more engaging and what I wanted in the first place. Now there's a mountain of side quests I can do apart from the main storyline, and there's finally shops and such to trade with. Still some minor gameplay gripes with the combat system, but it's still fun. I don't understand why the melee attacks need to be targeted. Seems to me just click to swing and damage whatever is hit first makes much more sense than this. I just get frustrated when a group comes up close and my mouse if focuses on the guy out of reach and my swings go right through everybody else.

Apr 28, 2010
@CatalystCreator
Andrew D

"Witcher 2 light source - we're making some head way with the developer - should have more news next week"

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
This thread inspired me to pickup Witcher 1, I just finished spending about 75 hours on my first run through and I have to say it was the best RPG I've ever played, and I have played quite a few.

I've spent about 10 hours playing this incredibly bad console game (Witcher 2) and I feel like throwing it out the window.

Let's see..........
-A console based spam click combat system
-Having to spam click to interact with things like loading a ballista, wow that adds so much difficulty to the game!
-Inability to hold a key to see important interactive objects which forces me to run up to everything that semi-looks important.
-A bloomed out world that has absolutely no character. The best way I can explain it is like it's a female with just a bit too much makeup on.
-Potions which expire after minutes instead of hours forcing me to sprint through combat zones that I rather take my time exploring.
-A horribly planned out interface for everything (leveling/inventory/map/journal/etc.), it is clearly designed with a console in mind which is why it's so pathetic.
-The prologue felt like God of War to me, how absolutely structured and console based it was.

I can't complain too much though, this thread did lead me to Witcher 1 which was absolutely amazing, worth the 60 bucks I dropped between the two games.

Last edited:

terry107

Dec 8, 2005
1.2 patch notes (available 3rd June).

Patch 1.2
Patch will be available on 3.06.2011
New DLC!
"Barbers and Coiffeuses"

Islamic–themed and similar textures have been deleted and/or replaced.

Wtf? I don't want this to devolve into a religious debate, but I am genuinely curious as to what they consider "Islamic-themed and similar textures" in a fantasy RPG.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This thread inspired me to pickup Witcher 1, I just finished spending about 75 hours on my first run through and I have to say it was the best RPG I've ever played, and I have played quite a few.

I've spent about 10 hours playing this incredibly bad console game (Witcher 2) and I feel like throwing it out the window.

Let's see..........
-A console based spam click combat system
-Having to spam click to interact with things like loading a ballista, wow that adds so much difficulty to the game!
-Inability to hold a key to see important interactive objects which forces me to run up to everything that semi-looks important.
-A bloomed out world that has absolutely no character. The best way I can explain it is like it's a female with just a bit too much makeup on.
-Potions which expire after minutes instead of hours forcing me to sprint through combat zones that I rather take my time exploring.
-A horribly planned out interface for everything (leveling/inventory/map/journal/etc.), it is clearly designed with a console in mind which is why it's so pathetic.
-The prologue felt like God of War to me, how absolutely structured and console based it was.

I can't complain too much though, this thread did lead me to Witcher 1 which was absolutely amazing, worth the 60 bucks I dropped between the two games.

You need to stand still and press Z to see objects to interact with. While you don't get to see everything in view that you can interact with instantaneously, this method is much more interactive and feels like part of the game rather than just a tool.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
You need to stand still and press Z to see objects to interact with. While you don't get to see everything in view that you can interact with instantaneously, this method is much more interactive and feels like part of the game rather than just a tool.

Thanks for the tip, it will definitely help if I keep playing. Of course they don't list that under the "input settings" tab which I thought contained all the keybinds.

I probably just need a break, after playing the best RPG in history it's hard to stomach an Oblivion/God of War love child.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Thanks for the tip, it will definitely help if I keep playing. Of course they don't list that under the "input settings" tab which I thought contained all the keybinds.

I probably just need a break, after playing the best RPG in history it's hard to stomach an Oblivion/God of War love child.

It's in the tutorial windows that pop up, as well as the tutorial section of the journal. Nobody to blame but yourself.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
It's in the tutorial windows that pop up, as well as the tutorial section of the journal. Nobody to blame but yourself.

I completely agree, requesting that a modern day RPG have an ingame & interactive keybinding list like every other RPG (including The Witcher 1) is obviously an egregious request.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Any suggestions for fighting the Kayran? I'm on about my 50th attempt and i've had to put down the controller a a few times.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I completely agree, requesting that a modern day RPG have an ingame & interactive keybinding list like every other RPG (including The Witcher 1) is obviously an egregious request.

I don't disagree on that front, but I'm saying this particular control was told to you in several ways and still can be found in game through the journal.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Any suggestions for fighting the Kayran? I'm on about my 50th attempt and i've had to put down the controller a a few times.

Try to stay as far from it as you can, either to the left or to the right away from the two front tenticles. Keep Quen(?)(the shield spell) on you at all times. Lay down a trap close to where his tenticles might land and be ready to roll out of the way when he smacks you. He may miss the trap, so just be patient and let him whack you again. It's better that he misses the trap and not hit you.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Man I need to get this game! First I have to finish Dragon Age 2, but it is proving to be quite a chore (80-90% through and I still don't understand what the point of the game is, way to go EA).

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010

Part 1:
There are 4 tentacles that can be killed, the outer two on each side. You can't hurt the center two, so stay away from them. Wait until you see the tentacle cocking back to strike, then throw down the trap sign (quen?) and immediately dodge left or right. After it's trapped, hit the bulging area with your strong attack 3-4 times to kill it. Repeat until you've killed 3 tentacles. If you crafted the Kayran trap, it's an insta kill on one of the tentacles.

Part 2:
There's a QTE with I think 3 different parts. Just do what it shows on screen (duh).

Part 3:
You just need to run up the piece of the broken bridge and make it to the top without dieing. Once you're there, a cutscene takes over.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
1.2 patch is now up :).

We have just released Patch 1.2 for The Witcher 2. It should automatically download from the game's launcher, however you need to make sure that your game is patched to version 1.1 before applying it. Steam version needs to be updated through the Steam patching system.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Nice, thanks guys. Lookin forward to divin in further to this gem over the weekend after this battle.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I totally missed that in the tutorial - any clue where in the tutorial it is mentioned.

Last edited:

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
I just finished Act 2. The story is great and I like the character development (both, storywise and upgrade slots). However, the combat is iffy. Sometimes it's slow to response and bigger enemies pummel you if you get stuck in a corner. Sometimes it takes 2 seconds to draw your weapon. And the game is quite buggy as well. Once I killed everyone but the battle didn't end. I had to replay it.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Installed patch 1.2, one improvement I noticed immediately is how much faster the in-game menu screen loads. It used to take up to a few seconds and now it's always immediate.