The Witcher 2 Has Gone Gold, Releases In 3 Weeks

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Started playing TW2 this morning, now that my main machine is back online. Got to say, this is the first game since 2007 that makes me want to upgrade my hardware.

Poor E8500 and 4870 512MB just chokes badly at 1920x1200 at Ultra settings. Seriously debating whether or not I should pick up a 6950 2GB from Newegg this weekend on their Memorial Day sale?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
So I'm thinking of just diving into Witcher 2 without playing the first. Is the plot overview found on wiki enough, or is there a more lengthy write-up that I should read first? I don't want to be completely out of the loop but it'll take me a long time to actually get to and then through the first game.

Apr 28, 2010
So I'm thinking of just diving into Witcher 2 without playing the first. Is the plot overview found on wiki enough, or is there a more lengthy write-up that I should read first? I don't want to be completely out of the loop but it'll take me a long time to actually get to and then through the first game.

I know many will not agree with me, but the first game was better than the second.

Plot summary of the first game:

The game tells the story of Geralt of Rivia, who at the opening of the game is tasked to cure the daughter of King Foltest of a curse which causes her to transform into a feral monster. Geralt successfully cures her, introducing the player to the nature of witcher-work. A period of years mysteriously passes, ending with Geralt being transported to the witcher stronghold of Kaer Morhen by fellow witchers who had discovered him unconscious in a field. Geralt remembers almost nothing of his life before returning to Kaer Morhen.
The story begins with a large cutscene. It shows how Foltest, king of Temeria, hires Geralt to cure his daughter Adda from a curse in return for a night with her. Geralt captures the traitor who cast the curse and uses him as bait to attract the striga (the monster Adda turns into). A battle ensues and Geralt scares the striga away with magic. Geralt then goes into the sarcophagus where she sleeps and shuts her out. The next morning, he finds her as a human.

The prologue begins, where Geralt is found by his fellow witchers. At the end of the witcher series Geralt was killed, but somehow he was revived, but now has amnesia. He is taken to Kaer Morhen, the base of the witchers, where he meets a sorceress named Triss Merigold. The castle is attacked by a gang of bandits named Salamandra, led by a criminal known as the Professor, a mage named Savolla who controls a large, praying mantis like monster, and another mage named Azar Javed. The witchers and the sorceress manage to slay the monster, kill Savolla, but the Professor and Azar manage to escape with the mutagens that genetically alter the witchers.

After curing Triss of the wounds she received while fighting Javed and then romancing her, Geralt and the rest of the witchers head off in different directions in order to find information on Salamandra. Geralt heads south to Vizima, capital of Temeria and where King Foltest reigns. He goes to the outskirts, where he meets a powerful child and an old friend, Shani, whom he does not remember. He finds out that Vizima is in quarantine. But, by doing favors to some important officials, either saving or condemning a witch, uncovering a conspiracy between Salamandra and those officials, either sparing or slaying most of the town, and killing a giant ghost-like hound, he gets a pass and prepares to enter Vizima just to be arrested.

He awakes in a jail where he volunteers to kill a cockatrice in the sewers in exchange for his freedom. In the sewers he meets a knight of a monster-slaying order, the Order of the Flaming Rose, named Siegfried, who not only helps him kill the monster but also directs him to a private eye who can help Geralt defeat Salamandra. Geralt spends the rest of part II chasing Salamandra (with a small interruption of a party that Shani throws with Geralt's old friend Dandelion, which ends with Geralt possibly having sex with Shani). He investigates a murder, which leads him to believe that a mage is leading Salamandra. He opens an ancient tower (which the private eye instructed him to do), just to find some ancient texts. When he goes outside, he finds out that the private eye is actually Azar Javed, the mage, who knocks Geralt unconscious and takes the texts.

Geralt awakes in the personal chamber of Triss Merigold, in the rich quarter of Vizima. She has sex with him, wanting to 'examine his internal injuries'. The rest of the chapter is spent uncovering the bases Salamandra has in Vizima, but also learning about a conflict between the Order of the Flaming Rose and the Squirrels, a gang of guerrilla freedom-fighting elves, dwarves, and other non-humans. He also begins uncovering another conspiracy concerning the royal seal. During a party of high-standing officials, Geralt meets Adda, who offers to have sex with him. Whether he accepts or declines, he finds letters in her chamber connecting her to Salamandra and she also either hints at the connection or his medallion shakes, which means that he is in the presence of an enemy.

Geralt finally attacks the base of Salamandra. He takes with him either Siegfried or a squirrel leader. He clears the base and then calls in either knights or elves, depending on who he brought with him, to fight Javed and the Professor. Javed separates Geralt and the allies, but Geralt presses on and duels the Professor. He wounds him, and when he is just about to kill the criminal, a giant spider-like monster drops in and kills the Professor. Geralt causes a cave in, crushing the spider and its offspring, and then escapes. Outside, he finds himself surrounded by royal guards and Adda, who wants to shut him up.

However, Triss teleports him out of the situation and into a distant village. There, Geralt negotiates between the village and an aquatic city. At the end however, a battle begins between the Order and the Squirrels. The player can be neutral, help the knights, or the non-humans. When the battle is over, Geralt, and Dandelion, who somehow appeared there with him, sail back to Vizima.

There, civil war has broken out. The Squirrels have caused a non-human uprising and the Order of the Flaming Rose wishes to end it. Depending on which side Geralt took in the previous battle, he can either be neutral and help the wounded get to hospitals with Shani, or help the knights or the elves in the battle. The Grand Master of the Order betrays the king, proving that he is the leader of Salamandra. He also curses Adda from a relapse of the striga curse, after which she marries a foreign king and forges an alliance between the kingdoms. The king tells Geralt to kill the Grand Master, after which Geralt can instruct the king over what to do with the rebellion. Depending on which side Geralt took in the first battle, he can convince the king that the Order can still be loyal, convince him that the Squirrels are right, or convince him that they are both enemies. Then, again depending on which side Geralt took in the first battle, he either takes Siegried (Order), an elven leader (Squirrel), or Triss Merigold (neutral) on the hunt for the Grand Master. If he takes the Order path, on the journey to kill the Grand Master he fights and kills the elven leader. If he takes the Squirrel path, he does the same to Siegfried. With the neutral path, he meets both and he can either spare or kill them.

Fighting through some genetically altered knights of the Order (which the Grand Master made using the mutagens), going through the sewers and fighting a large monster, Geralt and his partner near the Grand Master's home. There, Siegfried or the elven leader are wounded or Geralt uses a ruse to ditch Triss. Whichever the case, he goes in alone. Inside, the Grand Master explains to him his plan, how the prophecies said that the world would eventually be consumed in ice and the only way for humanity to escape that is to go south, and how the Grand Master only stole the mutagens so he could make superhuman bodyguards to protect humanity on their journey. When Geralt does not believe him, the Grand Master casts an illusion and the witcher finds himself in a icy wasteland. He hunts the Grand Master, running into several ape-like monsters that are in fact what humans will evolve into when the ice comes, and summoning with his mind the allies that helped him throughout the adventure. At the end, he kills the Grand Master and escapes the illusion.

Back in the real world, in the ending cut scene, the king pays Geralt and the witcher walks away. But suddenly an assassin attacks the king. Geralt duels the assassin and kills him. When he pulls off the mask, he discovers that the man has vertical pupils, just like the witchers, setting the stage for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.

Last edited:

taserbro

Jun 3, 2010
Has anyone managed to fix the grainy shadows problem? It appeared after the patch for me and persists on both my gtx570 and hd5870 through all possible permutations of both game and drivers options on both nvidia and amd hardware. So far, my google-fu only shows me wide-spread corroboration of the problem both for old hardware owners pre-patch and recent hardware owner post-patch but no solution at all.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Has anyone managed to fix the grainy shadows problem? It appeared after the patch for me and persists on both my gtx570 and hd5870 through all possible permutations of both game and drivers options on both nvidia and amd hardware. So far, my google-fu only shows me wide-spread corroboration of the problem both for old hardware owners pre-patch and recent hardware owner post-patch but no solution at all.

I think if you have your shadows set to anything less than "Ultra High", then they're going to appear grainy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Here's an important tweak for anyone experiencing crashes......particularly in Flotsam.

Apparently, the game configurator is broken and it doesn't detect, nor configure the proper settings for your system, the amount of VRAM you have.

By going to C\Users\User name\Documents\Witcher 2\config you can find the ini config and enter the proper settings manually.

One of the settings, TextureMemoryBudget, has an impact on how much memory your video card uses.. Increasing the amount, can prevent CTD due to running low on system memory from my experience, as the game has a memory leak and will just keep using more and more system memory to store textures until the game eventually crashes....

In Flotsam, I would always eventually CTD after playing for extended hours. Transitioning from one area to another (that required loads) numerous times would eventually tie up most of my memory the longer I played, until the game froze or crashed.

Then I saw what the TextureMemoryBudget in the ini config was set to by default.....a paltry 600!

I increased this to 1000, and I haven't had any more crashes since, despite trying my best to provoke it.

And although the initial setting of 600 didn't confine the game to only 600 of VRAM, increasing the amount to 1000 did increase the amount of VRAM the game used by quite a bit, which helped to alleviate the burden on the system memory.

Last edited:

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

taserbro

Jun 3, 2010
I think if you have your shadows set to anything less than "Ultra High", then they're going to appear grainy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's still very pronounced with ultra high.
Before the patch, it was so faint that I didn't even notice but after the patch, it became so bad that upon first loading a save, I thought my video card were frying and they were artifacts from dying hardware. Upon examining some screenshots, the area on the edges of shadows look wider and are simply much more pixelated/grainy than before and I'm not the only one who noticed that change.

I remember this same grid shadow problem occurring with another game (might be mass effect 2?) way before but eventually, I think it was fixed by hardware vendors releasing new drivers which made the shadows look perfect... In this case, I'm not sure it's a driver problem since it occurs on both amd and nvidia hardware and appeared conveniently after the patch. The only potential solution I haven't tried yet would be to buy another non-steam copy and re-install then play the game without patching it.

The game is amazing but this bug makes the forest scenes look incredibly distracting, as if someone used the windows 95's MS paint spray paint tool on half of the screen... I'm almost inclined to just put my play-through off for a few weeks and see if it gets resolved.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Finished the game. Enjoyed it a lot. Best game I've played since Dragon Age and probably even better than that. It's probably the best game I've played in many years.

Pros

- Technically well done. Stunning visuals, great sound, limited bugs.
- Story held my interest
- Interesting setting, grim and dark
- Branching plot paths that genuinely make a difference
- Interesting skill tree and good looting
- Many sidequests were well done
- Not always an obvious good or evil choice...just consequences.
- Mature content not watered down so kids can play
- No handholding.

Cons

- Difficulty varies from too hard to too easy.
- QTE...keep that console shit away. Thankfully you can disable them.
- Inventory is somewhat annoying
- Doors - has there ever been a worse implementation of doors in a video game?

9/10

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Finished the game. Enjoyed it a lot. Best game I've played since Dragon Age and probably even better than that. It's probably the best game I've played in many years.

Pros

- Technically well done. Stunning visuals, great sound, limited bugs.
- Story held my interest
- Interesting setting, grim and dark
- Branching plot paths that genuinely make a difference
- Interesting skill tree and good looting
- Many sidequests were well done
- Not always an obvious good or evil choice...just consequences.
- Mature content not watered down so kids can play
- No handholding.

Cons

- Difficulty varies from too hard to too easy.
- QTE...keep that console shit away. Thankfully you can disable them.
- Inventory is somewhat annoying
- Doors - has there ever been a worse implementation of doors in a video game?

9/10

Haha, I'll agree on those doors, while it's a minor complain, it's rather counter-intuitive. Seriously.

One thing I love about Witcher 2 that I have never seen in any other RPG is that the characters are not pure archetypes. No one was purely, maniacally evil like most other games. Everyone is morally ambiguous in a very believable fashion, even the character you're playing. Also, I recall some of the dialogues throwing around the words "insurgents" and "terrorists", quite apropros :)

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Love the game. I'm a bit surprised at how lousy the tutorial is though. I'm dropped into combat without knowing much at all, this makes the prologue the most challenging part of the game IME, which is wrong.

I'd like a bit better and more thourough explanation of game mechanics before being dropped into situations that require knowledge of mechanics. This is a pet peeve of mine.

Interface is lousy, but I expect I will get used to it. I shold clarify that I like the ingame interface for combat, the slow down to allow changing tactics is great. The inventory/potion/crafting/ect interface leaves something to be desired.

Bottom line: Great game, but after The Witcher: EE, i expected a lot more polish on The Witcher 2.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Plot summary of the first game:
<snip>

I played most of the first one and stopped. I tried to pick up where I left off before 2 came out but found I had no idea what was going on nor how to play... hahaha. This more or less helped me remember, but one question... what was the significance of that Alvin kid?

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
I played most of the first one and stopped. I tried to pick up where I left off before 2 came out but found I had no idea what was going on nor how to play... hahaha. This more or less helped me remember, but one question... what was the significance of that Alvin kid?

He got warped back in time and grew up to be the Grand Master of the Order of the Flaming Rose. The last boss of the game, and guy who hired Salamdra to steal the witcher's forumal.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Bought this today at Target for $40. I'm quite impressed with how much came in the standard retail package. Alongside the game, there was a separately packaged soundtrack with its own case. A decent guide for what I think is the whole game. It doesn't go into much depth as in character builds, abilities and such but seems to outline every quest. The game box also contained an envelope with a page of game art and a coin of some sort. Not sure what it relates to but it looks cool. It also came with a code for 10&#37; off of a GTX550 or 560 from www.evga.com/witcher. I have no use for this coupon so if somebody wants it I can PM the code. Not much so I'm sure you can get a better deal on Newegg or something.

As far as the game goes, I'm running well with everything Ultra except ubersampling @ 1080p on a 2500k and GTX570. Definitely a good looking game, though sometimes the up close textures in the dialog scenes don't look that great. I'm sure once the game gets rolling a bit more there'll be less up close conversation and more action. I found the bloom to be obnoxious as well so I disabled that too. There may be a way to lessen it in an .ini file but I haven't dug that deep yet.

For somebody that never played the first game I feel I have a relatively decent grasp of what's happening. The character descriptions in the Journal help clue me in a bit on what happened, plus I read some quick overviews on the first game's plot. I'm usually not big on these fantasy style plots, but so far I like this world and the lore I've seen.

Not sure how I feel about combat yet. It's funny, because everything I heard people whining about in DA2 with the warrior zipping around everywhere and attacking fast seems to be EXACTLY what's happening here... but nobody seems to mind it anymore for some reason. Mind you I only played the DA2 demo, but I'm still taken aback by how similar they look and how people trashed one system but not the other. The rest of the game I'm sure is of higher quality than DA2, but the combat seems to kind of be a clickfest right now. Well, clickfest with a *dodge* here and there but still. I'm still very early in it so it'll probably change, but so far I don't see the depth people rave about in the combat.

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Not sure how I feel about combat yet. It's funny, because everything I heard people whining about in DA2 with the warrior zipping around everywhere and attacking fast seems to be EXACTLY what's happening here... but nobody seems to mind it anymore for some reason. Mind you I only played the DA2 demo, but I'm still taken aback by how similar they look and how people trashed one system but not the other. The rest of the game I'm sure is of higher quality than DA2, but the combat seems to kind of be a clickfest right now. Well, clickfest with a *dodge* here and there but still. I'm still very early in it so it'll probably change, but so far I don't see the depth people rave about in the combat.

Yeah I noticed the same thing...*everyone* jumped on DA2 for that and nothing when W2 does it. Personally, I really enjoyed DA2 and did not mind the combat, and I'm really liking W2 and don't mind the combat.

I've run in to a couple quest bigs/glitches and don't seem to be really getting sucked in to the story (mid way (?) through chapter 2), but overall I'm enjoying it.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

I guessed you never played first Witcher because speed is the same,difference in DA2 they increased speed and dumbed it down from DAO,plus it makes the mage look unrealsitic in combat let alone warrior(no need for speed increase with group characters in RPGs),Witcher is a whole different game,first Witcher he was designed or I should say capable of taking on multiple groups on his own with group attack style attacks plus fast attack option for agile mobs,it would look stupid if he was slow as ass.

He is also known as one of the best swordsman as well,now would you expect him to go around fighting like a 90 year old,I don't think so.

DA2 is wrong on so many levels I won't even bother going there.

Last edited:

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Well I'm only in act 1 but so far I find the interface clumsy. The rest seems fine but the interface is so goddly important to gameplay. So far I would give the interface a 5 and the rest of the game a 9.5.
-
Some silly stuff:
When carrying aryan couldn't open a door; when I drop him and open the door the door closed by the time I picked him back up;
couldn't select a loot drop next to a door
undecided if i like the qte
combat seems skittish in who is your target and often changes ad hoc (I know I need to use the alt key)
can't see key bindings without exiting the game
much stuff like green/blue dots not explained as well as various symbols on the mini-map (some are obvious some are not so obvious (to me)).
-
I have the gog verison.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
He got warped back in time and grew up to be the Grand Master of the Order of the Flaming Rose. The last boss of the game, and guy who hired Salamdra to steal the witcher's forumal.

if that's the case, i totally did not pick up on that when playing TW1.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I guessed you never played first Witcher because speed is the same,difference in DA2 they increased speed and dumbed it down from DAO,plus it makes the mage look unrealsitic in combat let alone warrior(no need for speed increase with group characters in RPGs),Witcher is a whole different game,first Witcher he was designed or I should say capable of taking on multiple groups on his own with group attack style attacks plus fast attack option for agile mobs,it would look stupid if he was slow as ass.

He is also known as one of the best swordsman as well,now would you expect him to go around fighting like a 90 year old,I don't think so.

DA2 is wrong on so many levels I won't even bother going there.

I guess you didn't read my full post, as if you did you would have seen "For somebody that never played the first game". I don't have any context for The Witcher (but I did play the first DA game) so I'm just comparing the beginning of The Witcher 2 w/ the demo of DA2. I understand that the games are fairly different, but it was just something interesting I noticed. Swordsman flying around in Witcher is "exciting real-time combat"... warrior flying around in DA2 is "outrageous consolized garbage"

I'm not saying this is what YOU said, it just seems to be the general consensus of the PC gamers here. I just found it odd for something that played so similar combat-wise.

Well I'm only in act 1 but so far I find the interface clumsy. The rest seems fine but the interface is so goddly important to gameplay. So far I would give the interface a 5 and the rest of the game a 9.5.
-
Some silly stuff:
When carrying aryan couldn't open a door; when I drop him and open the door the door closed by the time I picked him back up;
couldn't select a loot drop next to a door
undecided if i like the qte
combat seems skittish in who is your target and often changes ad hoc (I know I need to use the alt key)
can't see key bindings without exiting the game
much stuff like green/blue dots not explained as well as various symbols on the mini-map (some are obvious some are not so obvious (to me)).
-
I have the gog verison.

I can't stand not being able to look up controls in-game. Seems like a very dumb thing to leave out, especially in a fairly complex PC only game where you really only have to have one control setup. I don't even need to be able to change it in game if that's a problem, at least let me look stuff up. Especially since there's not a lot of tutorial help. Stuff pops up on screen but it's quick and usually when I'm already in the middle of some action. I didn't even get an explanation of what the different signs do until I used them.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I'm not saying this is what YOU said, it just seems to be the general consensus of the PC gamers here. I just found it odd for something that played so similar combat-wise.

Problem with DA2 is they thought making the combat faster it would make a more exciting game ,maybe for dumb down players but they changed so much for the worst I could make a huge list of bad points.

Witcher 2 they took the criticism of combat from Witcher and tried to make it better(personally I prefer witcher 1 combat because I miss the old group style attack).

I could list some bad things for Witcher 2 like no inventory chest for your loot or not able to drink potions while in combat,old Cats eye was better in the dark IMHO and those doors everybody hates,even the old inventory was better.

However having said that W2 is a great game in its own right and I applaud the developers for what they have done.

Last edited:

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Swordsman flying around in Witcher is "exciting real-time combat"... warrior flying around in DA2 is "outrageous consolized garbage"

They aren't similar at all.

Everything Geralt does (swordplay wise) is semi-realistic. He is just rolling, which, you know, is possible to do in real life. He isn't moving around at really that high of a speed, and his sword attacks are also semi realistic.

Compare this to DA2, where warriors pretty much teleport, spin their around around in circles like barbarian whirlwind in DA2, and slam their sword into the ground causing earthquakes, all while wearing full plate armor.

Geralt is meant to be agile - this is why he wears leather. Still, he is orders slower than warrios in DA2, which are wearing full plate and a shield (comparable to the very slow knights in Witcher 2).

Combat animation wasn't even a complaint from me in DA2, but I don't see how anyone could say they were that similar between TW2 and DA2. Have you played both?

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
if that's the case, i totally did not pick up on that when playing TW1.

It's never said outright, and it's subtle enough that it's easy to miss. But there are hints.
In Chapter 1, Alvin's prophecy includes a mention of a seed that bursts into flames. The Grandmaster's last words, "That sword is for monsters.", echos a conversation Geralt has with Alvin in chapter 3. The big tell is the medallion though - if you check the GMs corpse, he's wearing the amulet that Geralt gave Alvin.