The Witcher 2 Has Gone Gold, Releases In 3 Weeks

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
You can open your journal and go to the TUTORIAL section and cycle through all the tutorials that pop that you may have missed.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Wtf? I don't want this to devolve into a religious debate, but I am genuinely curious as to what they consider "Islamic-themed and similar textures" in a fantasy RPG.

Especially because there's no such thing as 'islamic-themed/textures' of anything. Things may be e.g. 'middle-eastern-themed' or 'persian-themed', but it doesn't mean that they're Islamic.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Especially because there's no such thing as 'islamic-themed/textures' of anything. Things may be e.g. 'middle-eastern-themed' or 'persian-themed', but it doesn't mean that they're Islamic.

I have not seen or looked for the patterns myself but according to a post from a Muslim on GOG forums, it's an Islamic prayer rug that can be found in the brothels. If that's the case, I can understand why CDP pulled it out of the game, a classy move on their part.

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_wit...gned_to_say_thank_you_cdp_for_the_patch/page1

orbster556

Dec 14, 2005

I'm not familiar with Islamic art or other visual themes but the idea certainly applies to other religions. For example, Eastern Orthodox Icons have a distinct artistic and visual style that is unique to the Orthodox faith. Moreover, I don't it would be correct to suggest that this style was 'Eastern Roman', 'Byzantine' or even 'Russian' as the Eastern Orthodox religion embraced a number of different cultures and countries. In this respect, I think the same could be said about Islam.

The long and short, I suppose, is that there remains the possibility of Islamic-themed art or stylistic patterns/practices. Although I am not an art historian and cannot say with certainty, I think it quite probable that such style does exist and is generally recognized by those more learned than I.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
I have not seen or looked for the patterns myself but according to a post from a Muslim on GOG forums, it's an Islamic prayer rug that can be found in the brothels. If that's the case, I can understand why CDP pulled it out of the game, a classy move on their part.

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_wit...gned_to_say_thank_you_cdp_for_the_patch/page1

I call it knee-jerk. Love the game, but this is stupid. If someone finds offense from a prayer rug, I doubt they would be playing this game anyway. Sillyness.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I call it knee-jerk. Love the game, but this is stupid. If someone finds offense from a prayer rug, I doubt they would be playing this game anyway. Sillyness.

If there's even a small chance it offends somebody and it's in your power, why not remove it? The people that don't care won't notice, and the people that do care (however few they may be) will be happy. Are you saying you're going to miss that specific pattern now that it's removed?

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
I would suggest medium to start with. If it is too easy, switch to hard (or is it called difficult?) or switch down to easy if you cannot get by a certain part.

I started with medium as well, and I find myself using signs semi-regularly but not all the time. When I re-play the game, it will definitely be on hard difficulty so it is more of a challenge. This forces you to use signs and alchemy a lot more and be more strategic.

This game reminds me about what I liked from combat in DA:O. You can set traps, funnel enemies, be stealthy (or not). If this launched before DA2, I would not have even touched that game until I was done with a couple playthroughs of this. :biggrin:

Well, I reloaded about 15 times before I decided to switch to Easy for the first part.

It's not really that the game is hard so much as the "tutorial" if you can even called that being one of the crappiest in the history of video games. You actually have to stand and get killed in order to even read the popups. It's like they made the entire game and then realized they forgot the tutorial so they just put in some quick tips on at the beginning of the game. It's really poor design rather than challenging gameplay.

The game got *significantly* easier after the first part, when you get a chance to actually learn the controls and mechanics at your own pace.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
So... howcome patch 1.2 hasn't reached Steam yet? Is there something I'm missing here?

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Because they need to make some modifications to it to prevent the 9gb patch problem from repeating.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Is there anyway to view the video files or extract/listen to the audio files? Announcement video mentioned there are 16 different endings for this game - I'm not planning on replaying again :)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
man the kayran just smacked my ass around a few times. one of my deaths was pretty cool though :D at the same time, not cool cause i died. i will be back for victory later tonight!

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
man the kayran just smacked my ass around a few times. one of my deaths was pretty cool though :D at the same time, not cool cause i died. i will be back for victory later tonight!

aye,kicked my ass a few times too:p

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Is there anyway to view the video files or extract/listen to the audio files? Announcement video mentioned there are 16 different endings for this game - I'm not planning on replaying again :)

I'm sure they are on/will be on youtube.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Patch 1.2:
"Islamic–themed and similar textures have been deleted and/or replaced."

lol

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I also wanted to say, I'm quite digging this game. I've been doing the sidequests in the forest below Flotsam, and they've been taking up enough time that I figure the game is lengthy enough for my tastes. The one where you have to destroy the cacoons to summon the queen took me a while. Beat the first queen easy with nothing but the sword, but the second queen seemed tougher. Took me 7-8 tries to beat it and I still ended with low health. Makes me worried about the Kayran I'm soon to fight.

I like how not all the sidequests are Gaines from one spot (the inn bulletin board) and that without exploring a bit you might miss something. Makes me feel like my exploring and poking about gains me more than just some herbs and trinkets. Without messing around I'd have missed the fighting, dice, and arm wrestling quests.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Speaking of arm wrestling in the pub,took me awhile to figure that out,I was clicking the mouse button lol.... you are supposed to gently move the mouse left or right and keep it within those two markers either side.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Finished the game this morning. Took about 40 hours. Have to agree with a lot of the reviews though, the ending seems rather sudden and just wasn't very fulfilling to me.

I don't think it's as simple as different endings. It's that events will play out somewhat differently based on the choices you made. For example there seem to be at least 5-6 different possibilities for the summit near the end, as far as who's present and exactly how the dialogue goes.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I just beat the Kayran and wow was that an intense fight... the Arachas on the otherhand was over before I realized it had even begun. Not sure if that fight was bugged or something, it was much too easy, it only took three or four hits.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Speaking of arm wrestling in the pub,took me awhile to figure that out,I was clicking the mouse button lol.... you are supposed to gently move the mouse left or right and keep it within those two markers either side.

Yeah, same here. There was essentially no guidance, and you just have to figure it out. I finished all the arm-wrestling in Act II today, and they didnt see much harder to me. The 'fight club' stuff actually feels like it is getting easier; or maybe it is better to say the difficulty is the same but I am getting more proficient at it. Most fights I do not even get hit.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
I just beat the Kayran and wow was that an intense fight... the Arachas on the otherhand was over before I realized it had even begun. Not sure if that fight was bugged or something, it was much too easy, it only took three or four hits.

The Kayran was a blast. I died a couple times initially trying to trap the front two tentacles until I figured out I had to get the ones on the side.