The Witcher 2 Has Gone Gold, Releases In 3 Weeks

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
I'm disappointed by the lack of plowing in general!

I tell ya, that CTRL quick menu is a godsend for switching signs and bombs easily.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
I dunno, I thought 1/2/3/4 worked well for signs in the first game. I also didn't like how you had to meditate to drink potion since I sometimes get pulled into cutscene then to boss fight and die without getting a chance to sit and drink potion. But overall, its pretty minor complains.

Witcher 2 is what DA2 tried to accomplish but failed utterly.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
You know you've played Witcher too much when you read 'Social" on AT Forum as "Scoia'tael" D:

Also, I was disappointed that Geralt didn't "plough" Saskia :(

Know if it's possible to plough Sile? Thought I had a chance at seeing those titties in Chapter 1, but i've lost any clue now that i'm chaper 2.

On a side note i'm having issues in chapter 2 where map markers and quest locations are in the wrong locations on the mini-map and some other odd stuff like doors not opening. Reload resolves some of this stuff, but never everything at once.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
On a side note i'm having issues in chapter 2 where map markers and quest locations are in the wrong locations on the mini-map and some other odd stuff like doors not opening. Reload resolves some of this stuff, but never everything at once.

There was a quest I need to talk to Zyvik to complete. He was incorrectly marked on the map, and he literally disappeared. Meditating did not work. Instead of reloading I just continued on with other quests. Fortunately after I traveled to Vergen thru the fog for the curse quest and came back, he reappeared. Other than that I didn't encounter any quest bug.

btw I just finished my first play through, I can't wait to play TW3. At least ME3 should be coming soon...

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I dunno, I thought 1/2/3/4 worked well for signs in the first game. I also didn't like how you had to meditate to drink potion since I sometimes get pulled into cutscene then to boss fight and die without getting a chance to sit and drink potion. But overall, its pretty minor complains.

Witcher 2 is what DA2 tried to accomplish but failed utterly.

i actually thought the meditation to drink potions made a little more sense. as in, you have to carefully think about what combinations of potions you want to get the effects you want and prepare for battle.

sometimes switching enemies is a downright PITA during battle though. that's probably my biggest complaint.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
There was a quest I need to talk to Zyvik to complete. He was incorrectly marked on the map, and he literally disappeared. Meditating did not work. Instead of reloading I just continued on with other quests. Fortunately after I traveled to Vergen thru the fog for the curse quest and came back, he reappeared. Other than that I didn't encounter any quest bug.

btw I just finished my first play through, I can't wait to play TW3. At least ME3 should be coming soon...

I had that with Zyvik, he showed up for me eventually, don't member what I did.

I'm already considering a 2nd playthrough of W2, though I try to be thorough in my play throughs and it's the suprises that keep me excited so I may not play again after I finish. Only game i've consistenly gone back to is HL2, not the episodes.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Anybody has any idea how the saved games will be imported into TW3? I was wondering if I play it a couple times with different endings, will I get to choose which save to import, or will it just import the last one automatically?

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
i actually thought the meditation to drink potions made a little more sense. as in, you have to carefully think about what combinations of potions you want to get the effects you want and prepare for battle.

sometimes switching enemies is a downright PITA during battle though. that's probably my biggest complaint.

It's not too bad for regular fights, but I remember when I was fighting one Boss with Sile, I got kicked into cutscene and thrown directly into battle. I tried to reload the auto-save but it just reran the cutscene and threw me into battle again. Haha. Had to load it from like the city.. so that was the only part that really annoyed me.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
just bought this game (from B&M). was told if i like bioware rpg's that i'd be dumb not to get it. read a couple reviews and agreed. did not play the first game.

that said- i don't want to have to explore forums, faqs, lore, et al just to be able to play the game, and i don't want to have to fuck with patches and workarounds just to make it work properly.

should i just shelve this until it gets patched up a little better? besides that, any tips to keep a new player from throwing what's probably a really good game right out the window?

was going to start a thread when i saw this enormous one. have not been keeping up with PC gaming...gonna go start reading the rest of this behemoth now to see if i can learn anything useful. anyone who wants to give cliff's would be awesome.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
just bought this game (from B&M). was told if i like bioware rpg's that i'd be dumb not to get it. read a couple reviews and agreed. did not play the first game.

that said- i don't want to have to explore forums, faqs, lore, et al just to be able to play the game, and i don't want to have to fuck with patches and workarounds just to make it work properly.

should i just shelve this until it gets patched up a little better? besides that, any tips to keep a new player from throwing what's probably a really good game right out the window?

was going to start a thread when i saw this enormous one. have not been keeping up with PC gaming...gonna go start reading the rest of this behemoth now to see if i can learn anything useful. anyone who wants to give cliff's would be awesome.

We could help you, but you haven't even stated what your problem is. What's wrong with the game? What's compelling you to "throw it out the window"? The Witcher 2 runs very well in it's current state, and two patches have been made available since release (1.1 and 1.2). They are small downloads assuming you bought the boxed version.

If the game runs slowly for you, you should understand that it's a very beefy game graphically, and likewise, you need a powerful computer to play it. Turn down the graphics settings for better performance.

That said, what issues in particular are you having?

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
hell, i'm still running the install program- have not played the game yet.

performance, if an issue, should not be hard to manage. i'm just reading more generalized articles about the game and hearing general chatter, and i just hear too much about game-breaking bugs and patching issues.

when a game i was really looking forward to doesn't work right, usually, it turns out, if i had been delving deep into the community i would have heard about these issues. when this happens to me, i usually completely abandon a game and never return to it- see empire: total war. i don't think they ever did fix that game. usually this blacklists a company for me- CA only won me back by releasing shogun2 and saying 'see?! we can totally go back to being awesome!'

does that make sense? seems like in my previous post i may have inadvertantly said the game was crap while all i meant to say, sadly, was 'gee, i hope this is enough of an unbroken, complete, finished game to be worth playing.' unfortunately, we've been conditioned to believe that that's too much to ask for from most modern PC games.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
hell, i'm still running the install program- have not played the game yet.

performance, if an issue, should not be hard to manage. i'm just reading more generalized articles about the game and hearing general chatter, and i just hear too much about game-breaking bugs and patching issues.

when a game i was really looking forward to doesn't work right, usually, it turns out, if i had been delving deep into the community i would have heard about these issues. when this happens to me, i usually completely abandon a game and never return to it- see empire: total war. i don't think they ever did fix that game. usually this blacklists a company for me- CA only won me back by releasing shogun2 and saying 'see?! we can totally go back to being awesome!'

does that make sense? seems like in my previous post i may have inadvertantly said the game was crap while all i meant to say, sadly, was 'gee, i hope this is enough of an unbroken, complete, finished game to be worth playing.' unfortunately, we've been conditioned to believe that that's too much to ask for from most modern PC games.

I finished the game without encountering any game breaking bugs even before it got patched. Easily one of my all time favorite RPGs.

However, I played through and beat the first Witcher, I have a monster pc. So that made my experience much more complete.

It helps to know the background, because the complexity of the plot, character development would leave you a little clueless if you have no idea whats going on. There are bugs in this game, but none of them that degraded my experience. Quite of few of them are patched in the new release.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
derp...first issue...

dll file not found when attempting to launch game. faq says run ms c++ redistributable on disc...i am amazed by the easy solution. however, it errors me for 'windows installer' not being accessable...grrr.

going to return to this later when i actually feel like troubleshooting it.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
I finished the game without encountering any game breaking bugs even before it got patched. Easily one of my all time favorite RPGs.

However, I played through and beat the first Witcher, I have a monster pc. So that made my experience much more complete.

It helps to know the background, because the complexity of the plot, character development would leave you a little clueless if you have no idea whats going on. There are bugs in this game, but none of them that degraded my experience. Quite of few of them are patched in the new release.

Yeah, I definitely love the complexity of the plot. You really have to pour through the journal entries of all the characters and locations to fully appreciate all the various stories. Love it.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
Arrrrrgh, I'm CTDing frequently now, usually when quicksaving or at a transition. Anyone else?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Arrrrrgh, I'm CTDing frequently now, usually when quicksaving or at a transition. Anyone else?

Where are you at in the game, and what vid drivers are you on? I haven't had any crashes but I'm still fairly early in the game.

shurato

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2000
derp...first issue...

dll file not found when attempting to launch game. faq says run ms c++ redistributable on disc...i am amazed by the easy solution. however, it errors me for 'windows installer' not being accessable...grrr.

going to return to this later when i actually feel like troubleshooting it.

Wanted to throw my 2 cents in and say that it's well worth your time to resolve your potential PC environmental issues to get this game running on your rig and play. PC games can be a bit of a challenge to sort through even the basics of installing the game as opposed to console games which I'm sure you well aware. I actually ended up purchasing Witcher 1 and running through that first even though I had bought Witcher 2 first due to the recommendations of people on this forum.

If there are other technical questions you have for the game to get you up and running, let us know and we'll see if we can assist. I had a late start with the game due to me wanting to finish W1 first but so far it's been amazing and I have not run into any game changing bugs thus far. It is a lot more taxing on your system than the first one so beware when you play around with your display configs.

This has been my game of the year so far for 2011. Good luck and enjoy!

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Know if it's possible to plough Sile? Thought I had a chance at seeing those titties in Chapter 1, but i've lost any clue now that i'm chaper 2.

Nope :(

You can flirt with her, but that's about it. I got the impression that she felt Geralt was a man way below her standards and didn't want anything to do with him.

"Ploughing" in this game is tame compared to TW1...

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I don't know, that "review" tells me that he can't really appreciate any games that really requires tactics/brain usage.

I actually have very little respect for Yahtzee anymore because he's extremely uncoordinated in most games, and rather than recognizing how bad he is, he blames it on the game itself. Also, whenever he reviews a PC game he installs it on his shitty laptop and then complains about it running too slow. He's apparently de-evolved into a casual gamer now.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I actually have very little respect for Yahtzee anymore because he's extremely uncoordinated in most games, and rather than recognizing how bad he is, he blames it on the game itself. Also, whenever he reviews a PC game he installs it on his shitty laptop and then complains about it running too slow. He's apparently de-evolved into a casual gamer now.

I don't know why people or should I say gamers even bother going to his site,its a waste of web space...I went there once and he was clueless,I told myself never again.